Not Anti-Social, but Non-Social

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have noticed in recent years that I don't have a lot of friends, and my friends don't have a lot of ,friends. I don't feel badly about it, it's just an observation.

I don't think of myself as anti-social, but I tend not to do things that involve a lot of social interaction. I golf and I bowl and I go to the gym. I am a regular church-goer, and attend reunions stuff related to my GS and HS classes, and I get along with everyone, almost without exception. But I don't socialize with anyone in my golf league, bowling league (with a few exceptions), from my gym, or from church.

But here's the thing: I don't do anything that sociable people do.

I don't go to Pirate or Steeler or Pitt or Duquesne or Penguin games, nor do I watch them on television. When people start going on about the stars, the rosters, trades, contracts, prospects for this year and next, I just don't care. And local people DO go on and on about those players and teams. I don't follow them and don't care whether they win or lose. I am aware of it; I read the sports pages every day, but win or lose, it makes no difference to my personal happiness.

My college education was unconventional, so I have no college friends, and I've never been in touch with anyone from my Army days. I lost touch with my childhood (other than school) friends when I went into the Army, then moved away (briefly), but never got back in touch with them when I returned to my hometown of Pittsburgh. The only time I see them now is at funerals.

I don't drink, or fish, or boat. I don't have a pet (don't want one), so can't talk about how cute it is or vet visits.

I have 6-8 good friends, a few of whom are also relatives, and that's plenty.

I think that I am not anti-social; I'm just non-social.

Is this normal?

I have noticed in recent years that I don't have a lot of friends, and my friends don't have a lot of ,friends. I don't feel badly about it, it's just an observation.

I don't think of myself as anti-social, but I tend not to do things that involve a lot of social interaction. I golf and I bowl and I go to the gym. I am a regular church-goer, and attend reunions stuff related to my GS and HS classes, and I get along with everyone, almost without exception. But I don't socialize with anyone in my golf league, bowling league (with a few exceptions), from my gym, or from church.

But here's the thing: I don't do anything that sociable people do.

I don't go to Pirate or Steeler or Pitt or Duquesne or Penguin games, nor do I watch them on television. When people start going on about the stars, the rosters, trades, contracts, prospects for this year and next, I just don't care. And local people DO go on and on about those players and teams. I don't follow them and don't care whether they win or lose. I am aware of it; I read the sports pages every day, but win or lose, it makes no difference to my personal happiness.

My college education was unconventional, so I have no college friends, and I've never been in touch with anyone from my Army days. I lost touch with my childhood (other than school) friends when I went into the Army, then moved away (briefly), but never got back in touch with them when I returned to my hometown of Pittsburgh. The only time I see them now is at funerals.

I don't drink, or fish, or boat. I don't have a pet (don't want one), so can't talk about how cute it is or vet visits.

I have 6-8 good friends, a few of whom are also relatives, and that's plenty.

I think that I am not anti-social; I'm just non-social.

Is this normal?
If you are fine with your life……who cares?

Forum List

Back