Democrats could misinterpret the Red Trickle

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I'm seeing a lot of barely-hidden glee from the Left over the most successful mid-term performance of a party in power in decades. Given the stakes, I can certainly understand that. But at the same time, it would be stupid for them to draw any long-term conclusions from this.

The primary reason the Dems did so well was not because they have a vice-like grip on the issues, or because their positions on the cultural issues in particular are representative of Americans across the country. It's far more because they had the good fortune of running against an embarrassing clan of clowns, buffoons, frauds and ignoramuses.

There are plenty of smart people left in the GQP, and there's a pretty good chance they're going to learn from this catastrophic wasted opportunity. I'd guess they've learned not to run people like they did. And if the Dems take this as some kind of mandate or confirmation, they're asking for trouble. America is not on a wing, it's across a broad spectrum between the wings.

I'm seeing a lot of barely-hidden glee from the Left over the most successful mid-term performance of a party in power in decades. Given the stakes, I can certainly understand that. But at the same time, it would be stupid for them to draw any long-term conclusions from this.

The primary reason the Dems did so well was not because they have a vice-like grip on the issues, or because their positions on the cultural issues in particular are representative of Americans across the country. It's far more because they had the good fortune of running against an embarrassing clan of clowns, buffoons, frauds and ignoramuses.

There are plenty of smart people left in the GQP, and there's a pretty good chance they're going to learn from this catastrophic wasted opportunity. I'd guess they've learned not to run people like they did. And if the Dems take this as some kind of mandate or confirmation, they're asking for trouble. America is not on a wing, it's across a broad spectrum between the wings.

No that's not why.

They turned out the youth vote on abortion and college loan forgiveness.

Looking at the CNN numbers this morning, I am hoping against hope that the Democrats take a clean sweep. They deserve it. We deserve it. The idiots who voted on abortion and college loan forgiveness deserve it.

I can't wait to see Dems deal with an emboldened, yet demented Joe Biden.

Every GOP candidate that ran won their GOP primary.
If the GOP had better candidates they should have put them up.
As it is now the smart GOP candidates know that the MSM would crucify them with lies and the high-tech oligarchs would drown them with millions of dollars of phony political ads that they could not match.
That GOP voters didn't turn out as much as young democrat voters was the cause of the GOP mid-term underperformance, not candidate quality.

Well despite the supposed rampant cheating by the Democrats, for the 2nd straight election (at least) the GOP has picked up seats in the House. For likely the 4th election where Pelosi was either speaker or Majority Leader, the GOP has made gains. The Democrats are unlikely to learn anything from this fact. I mean...how many dismal showings does your party have to have before the rank and file vote you out of the leadership positions?

I think one reason the Dems did well was because they passed some bills...the basic essential function of the Congress. These days, clearing that low hurdle is enough to stand in for actual effective governance and was missing from the previous administration. Will that be enough to sustain going forward? No...and it shouldn't be. We're a great nation. One can only hope that our elected leaders would want to keep that going.

Every GOP candidate that ran won their GOP primary.
As it is now the smart GOP candidates know that the MSM would crucify them with lies and the high-tech oligarchs would drown them with millions of dollars of phony political ads that they could not match.
That GOP voters didn't turn out as much as young democrat voters was the cause of the GOP mid-term underperformance, not candidate quality.
Meanwhile back in reality, the GOP is taking the House.

200,000+ people who voted for Kemp in Georgia DIDN'T vote for Herschel Walker.... same ballot, one screen over on the touchpad.

I swear...it's like explaining nuclear physics to a 2 year old sometimes.

I agree
Before Dems run a victory lap declaring America loves them, they need to acknowledge how bad the Republican candidates were. Mitch McConnell admitted it last summer

But Democrats can take solace in the reality Republicans will not change their ways.
Rather than admit they need to stop running the crazies they scream that they were cheated

I agree
Before Dems run a victory lap declaring America loves them, they need to acknowledge how bad the Republican candidates were. Mitch McConnell admitted it last summer

But Democrats can take solace in the reality Republicans will not change their ways.
Rather than admit they need to stop running the crazies they scream that they were cheated
Yeah, that's probably the question: Does the GQP learn from this and adjust, or do they double down on what beat them?

Well despite the supposed rampant cheating by the Democrats, for the 2nd straight election (at least) the GOP has picked up seats in the House. For likely the 4th election where Pelosi was either speaker or Majority Leader, the GOP has made gains. The Democrats are unlikely to learn anything from this fact. I mean...how many dismal showings does your party have to have before the rank and file vote you out of the leadership positions?

I think one reason the Dems did well was because they passed some bills...the basic essential function of the Congress. These days, clearing that low hurdle is enough to stand in for actual effective governance and was missing from the previous administration. Will that be enough to sustain going forward? No...and it shouldn't be. We're a great nation. One can only hope that our elected leaders would want to keep that going.
Breathing a huge sigh of relief is good and warranted. So now we'll see.

Neither party has very much to crow about. The election results just indicate a very divided country.

Yeah, that's probably the question: Does the GQP learn from this and adjust, or do they double down on what beat them?

Republicans will privately admit that some fellow Republicans scare them, they are afraid to unleash the wrath of MAGA

Biden pointed it out in his rants about the dangers of MAGA Republicans. Republicans mocked him for it, but those MAGAtards cost Republicans the election

RvW and tuition forgiveness were nice little issues to get way more voters thinking about self interest over country. Also, the people of Arizona seem to love their open border, good for them.

America will be more vulnerable and susceptible to foreign influence, it's why foreign governments and media celebrate Dem victories, especially in NY, Cali and the always reliable D.C.

I said when Trump lost that the FBI and CIA would have an increased issue with National Security threats and compromised agents. I'd love to see the data on those who they have caught (some they haven't of course) to compare between 2019 and 2021.

Notice the three of the swing states, PA, AZ, and GA all went against predictions and 'elected' Democrats. These are the same states which Democrats stole in 2020. What's changed? Nothing. So like in 2020, there was a red wave. It just got subverted.

Rarely have I seen a greater indictment of the POT than that. For the good of the country, which benefits from two healthy parties, I hope the POT is only suffering from temporary insanity. Brought about by its fidelity to the Orange Messiah. The most destructive political force unleashed on this nation in its history.
Even though I think the genie can be put back in the bottle over time we have learned a disturbing lesson from the rise of Trumpery. Namely, the US is not exceptional. Many on the Right are susceptible to the siren song of authoritarianism, xenophobia, and the alluringly simplistic message of a demagogue. Those proclivities will remain even if Trump fades away.

I agree. There are also a couple of other things in play here too. We had the RvW thing happen, which may have had a one time skew of the midterms. But, I think the biggest factor that isn't being paid attention to is we really did have a massive red wave that didn't materialize in wins due to the reasons you noted. BUT, Republicans made several inroads in highly liberal areas, not only with a few out and out wins but also in many very close contests that they ultimately lost. That is being buried under the rug because democrats eventually won those contests but it doesn't change the fact that many contests were much closer for the blue team than was expected. And, in some cases, that were against poor candidates.

Even though I think the genie can be put back in the bottle over time we have learned a disturbing lesson from the rise of Trumpery.
Well, that's one, big, freaking massive issue by itself. I would very much like to believe that all of us have learned something. I hate to say it, but I don't think we have yet. This period is a sociological issue to me, not a political issue, and that boat doesn't turn on a dime.

Here we go, Vichy Mac strikes again.

Actually, I am jubilant about these results, because they DO bode well for the future. The one thing that came through loud and clear is that the Youth Vote showed up. They looked at the ugly message of the GOP of racism, homophobia, misogyny and transphobia, you know, the ones you agree with and denounce as "woke", and said, "No Thanks".

Old people like us are dying. They are the future, and the future looks... pretty good.

Now, I would LOVE to see BOTH Parties stop running nuts. I would love to see AOC join Boebert on the unemployment line. Realistically that ain't going to happen. Not as long as you have primaries that get dominated by the more partisan and ideological voters. I would also love to see the media stop feeding these nuts. My Congressman is a pretty good guy, very sensible moderate Democrat... and he basically can't get arrested talking about issues. That's not entertainment!!!

One final point, and since Mac won't answer because I've blown up his fake premises so many times.. is that Incumbency won!

The three governorships that flips are two liberal states where the GOP governors who got in during the Teabagger wave of 2014 retired, and it was a return to status quo. The other appears to be Nevada, and that was because the governor is paying for very unpopular Covid restrictions that killed tourism in Las Vegas. The main reason why Fetterman won in PA is because Toomey retired. Had he run again, he'd have won. Nevada senate race and Arizona's governorship are still out. But the Senate Race in Nevada is down to 1000 votes.

In fact, if you ran for re-election, you probably won.

Forum List

Back