Demand for black linguistic justice

Invisibleflash

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2019
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base

We DEMAND that:

1. teachers stop using academic language and standard English as the accepted communicative norm, which reflects White Mainstream English!
  2. teachers stop teaching Black students to code-switch! Instead, we must teach Black students about anti-Black linguistic racism and white linguistic supremacy!
  3. political discussions and praxis center Black Language as teacher-researcher activism for classrooms and communities!
  4. teachers develop and teach Black Linguistic Consciousness that works to decolonize the mind (and/or) language, unlearn white supremacy, and unravel anti-Black linguistic racism!
  5. Black dispositions are centered in the research and teaching of Black Language!
------------------------

What do blacks want? English is no good for them?

We DEMAND that:

1. teachers stop using academic language and standard English as the accepted communicative norm, which reflects White Mainstream English!
  2. teachers stop teaching Black students to code-switch! Instead, we must teach Black students about anti-Black linguistic racism and white linguistic supremacy!
  3. political discussions and praxis center Black Language as teacher-researcher activism for classrooms and communities!
  4. teachers develop and teach Black Linguistic Consciousness that works to decolonize the mind (and/or) language, unlearn white supremacy, and unravel anti-Black linguistic racism!
  5. Black dispositions are centered in the research and teaching of Black Language!
------------------------

What do blacks want? English is no good for them?
What a bunch of low I.Q. morons. Dreadful.

Has a black scholar of linguistics developed a lexicon and a grammar for the "black language" ? Is it available? Will those of us who do not know the black language be able to get instruction? It is a written
language? Does it have an alphabet? a literature?

It takes a very special sort of dedication to be in this country for several generations and still be incapable of learning the language.

Heck, just about every other group gets it down in a single generation.

It takes a very special sort of dedication to be in this country for several generations and still be incapable of learning the language.

Heck, just about every other group gets it down in a single generation.
No, they don't.

Street slang versus proper grammar is by no means exclusive to blacks. Blacks may tend to populate certain sections of inner cities more, but people talk dirty on the farm, too, black, Hispanic, white, etc.

...Heck, just about every other group gets it down in a single generation.

Acquiring a new language is a process that involves more factors than just the vocabulary and grammar of that language. Newly arrived immigrant families tend to fully assimilate to primary use of English over at least two generations. However, by the time they get to that 2nd (or sometimes 3rd) generation, as many as 95% of immigrants from non-English speaking countries speak English primarily or exclusively in the home.

as many as 95% of immigrants from non-English speaking countries speak English primarily or exclusively in the home
And why is the government so interested in what we say or speak in our own homes?

I say it's time for these government statisticians to butt out of my home and off my private property, no matter how they have to be forced or compelled.

as many as 95% of immigrants from non-English speaking countries speak English primarily or exclusively in the home
And why is the government so interested in what we say or speak in our own homes?

I say it's time for these government statisticians to butt out of my home and off my private property, no matter how they have to be forced or compelled.

Relax. This information isn't compiled from government-installed listening devices placed around your home while you were sleeping. Data of this sort is compiled by linguists and anthropologists in the course of studying trends and influences in language use. You can put the shotgun back in the closet now.

...and on a related point, why have "we" not named English as the official language of the United States?

Seriously.

...and on a related point, why have "we" not named English as the official language of the United States?

Seriously.

Because we don't need an official language, and because we have the Bill of Rights. Seriously.

Apparently, we DO need an official language. In order to be NATURALIZED in this country, you have to be conversant in English, but the Federal [fucking] government is compelled to provide all of its advice and services in SPANISH. Who pays for this? Why?

Apparently, we DO need an official language. In order to be NATURALIZED in this country, you have to be conversant in English...

Not to a very high degree, and there is NO requirement to speak English at all to be a natural born citizen, nor is there any requirement to maintain any degree or incremental improvement in English. Otherwise, we would have thrown Jitler out long ago. There IS however, a requirement on the part of the government to provide due process and equal protection under the law, as well as to ensure equal voting rights. Then there's the First Amendment and all that stuff about freedom of speech and all. Well, you get the idea.

Forum List

Back