Zone1 Why the term 'DEI' is being weaponized as a racist dog whistle

Oh really? Being happily married, kids grown up, and owning a three bedroom, two bath, two car garage on 100 acres of land, I'd say I'm pretty much secure in my own manhood.
So why are you so unhappy in life?

You should be grateful.

Blacks and whites have had different experiences in America. Whites tell a story of a group of people who came over on the Mayflower. Blacks tell stories about being stuck in the bowels of ships like the Amistad. We did not see the Beaver Cleaver nation many whites talk about. During the 50s, we were protesting having to sit on the back of the bus and segregated schools. We didn’t have time to worry about Lumpy Rutherford. Let me add this, and maybe the whites who are the problem can understand better how things are now. Today no freedom riders are going into towns to teach children how to read and then finding whole communities of adult blacks who also can’t read. Those days are over. Blacks are educated now, and more blacks than ever before are entering colleges or post-secondary training. We know what you mean when you say certain things. Dogs don’t whistle, and “Make America Great Again,” means that “we want white dominion.” The use of various terms have been weaponized by the racists subculture and used as dogwhistles that members of that subculture uses then claims plausible deniability when called on the obvious racism of the statement. DEI is one of those terms.

Why the term 'DEI' is being weaponized as a racist dog whistle​

In right-wing rhetoric, the DEI label is often used to play upon racial resentments. It is increasingly appropriated as a racist dog whistle used to question and undermine the positions, qualifications and abilities of racialized people.

A dog whistle is a term that also does something else—something less socially acceptable—below the surface. It is a coded, deniable bit of language that allows people to communicate ideas that would be too offensive if done explicitly.

As podcaster Peter Shamshiri puts it:

"What they're doing is trying to create a framework whereby any person of color's position is inherently suspect…It's about building a sociocultural mechanism for reinforcing the existing hierarchy."

There's nothing new about this sort of effort. But the way DEI is used to play into racist sentiments is uniquely powerful, and more potent than other culture war terms.

Condemnations of critical race theory played a key role in educational gag orders and book bans in states like Florida. But that is limited to educational contexts.

"Affirmative action" is also used to attack members of underrepresented groups who find their way into desirable positions, but it's no good for book bans. Other terms like "woke," "snowflake" and "politically correct" can readily be used to discredit anti-racist activists, but they can't be easily applied to someone who integrates into a white workplace.

DEI can cover all of these. Those books you don't like? Blame DEI initiatives. Black people getting prestigious jobs? DEI is at fault. Annoying young student activists? Too much DEI on university campuses. It's hard to find a hot-button issue or social context where DEI can't be hurled as a term of abuse to undermine marginalized people.

We are looking at a fascist movement by the extreme right element in the white community. It is now time for all who oppose white supremacy to stand up.
This public service message brought to you by the National Action Network.

Melatonin content has nothing to do with the fact that I'm far more superior to you.

You could be white and I'd still be a better man.
Your posts show that you are not a better man than me. You have less education and less skill. And far less intelligence. You have proven that. But again instead of this personal attack answer the question,

Have you ever consdered the fact that white men have only been hired because of their skin color and the fact they have a dick?

Oh really? Being happily married, kids grown up, and owning a three bedroom, two bath, two car garage on 100 acres of land, I'd say I'm pretty much secure in my own manhood.
No you aren't or you wouldn't be whining about how whites are discriminated against.

I'm going to tell you that you have indeed shown many people here that you are an idiot.

Blacks and whites have had different experiences in America. Whites tell a story of a group of people who came over on the Mayflower. Blacks tell stories about being stuck in the bowels of ships like the Amistad. We did not see the Beaver Cleaver nation many whites talk about. During the 50s, we were protesting having to sit on the back of the bus and segregated schools. We didn’t have time to worry about Lumpy Rutherford. Let me add this, and maybe the whites who are the problem can understand better how things are now. Today no freedom riders are going into towns to teach children how to read and then finding whole communities of adult blacks who also can’t read. Those days are over. Blacks are educated now, and more blacks than ever before are entering colleges or post-secondary training. We know what you mean when you say certain things. Dogs don’t whistle, and “Make America Great Again,” means that “we want white dominion.” The use of various terms have been weaponized by the racists subculture and used as dogwhistles that members of that subculture uses then claims plausible deniability when called on the obvious racism of the statement. DEI is one of those terms.

Why the term 'DEI' is being weaponized as a racist dog whistle​

In right-wing rhetoric, the DEI label is often used to play upon racial resentments. It is increasingly appropriated as a racist dog whistle used to question and undermine the positions, qualifications and abilities of racialized people.

A dog whistle is a term that also does something else—something less socially acceptable—below the surface. It is a coded, deniable bit of language that allows people to communicate ideas that would be too offensive if done explicitly.

As podcaster Peter Shamshiri puts it:

"What they're doing is trying to create a framework whereby any person of color's position is inherently suspect…It's about building a sociocultural mechanism for reinforcing the existing hierarchy."

There's nothing new about this sort of effort. But the way DEI is used to play into racist sentiments is uniquely powerful, and more potent than other culture war terms.

Condemnations of critical race theory played a key role in educational gag orders and book bans in states like Florida. But that is limited to educational contexts.

"Affirmative action" is also used to attack members of underrepresented groups who find their way into desirable positions, but it's no good for book bans. Other terms like "woke," "snowflake" and "politically correct" can readily be used to discredit anti-racist activists, but they can't be easily applied to someone who integrates into a white workplace.

DEI can cover all of these. Those books you don't like? Blame DEI initiatives. Black people getting prestigious jobs? DEI is at fault. Annoying young student activists? Too much DEI on university campuses. It's hard to find a hot-button issue or social context where DEI can't be hurled as a term of abuse to undermine marginalized people.

We are looking at a fascist movement by the extreme right element in the white community. It is now time for all who oppose white supremacy to stand up.
Less than two hundred people came over on the Mayflower. Most white immigrants came over in steerage which wasn’t a whole lot better than the slave decks of the slave ships. Pretty much all the steerage passengers on Titanic died because the gates accessing steerage weren’t unlocked until long after the lifeboats were away.

David Mamet is FULL OF SHIT about DEI and his kids DEFINITELY BENEFITED FROM NEPOTISM |Roland Martin​

IM2 is always a bridesmaid….

”DEI” is NOT being “weaponized” as a “racist dog whistle”. It was COINED as a racist dog whistle. On it’s face, DEI is anti-white.

These liberal jerks create racist practices and then when you point that out, they just double down and accuse you of racism.

So why are you so unhappy in life?

You should be grateful.

I really don't think it's up to you to surmise who I am or how I feel, son. I'm very happy with who I am and what I've been graced with.

I really don't think it's up to you to surmise who I am or how I feel, son. I'm very happy with who I am and what I've been graced with.
You've been graced by white skin and little talent. If you really knew how stupid you have made yourself look.

No you aren't or you wouldn't be whining about how whites are discriminated against.

I'm going to tell you that you have indeed shown many people here that you are an idiot.

Who's "whining" about discrimination? You're the only one here whose every thread is about how you've been treated unfairly.

Dude, you're the Litwin of the Race Relation/Racism forum. Every thread you post reeks of self pity.

You've been graced by white skin and little talent. If you really knew how stupid you have made yourself look.

Like I said, you don't have a clue who I am or what I'm capable of. And again like I said, It has nothing to do with race. Even if you were white, I'd still be more of a man than you are.

DEI is racist to the core.

All actual liberals who believe all people should be judged on their individual merits oppose it.

There is no "dog whistle" involved.
Racists and Trump Haters love to use the "dog whistle" metaphor. Dehumanization is one of their favorite things to do with people who don't look like them or believe what they believe.

Yawn ..

Do you talk about any other topic besides perceived racism?
It takes a special type of cluelessness to keep starting threads about racism when Jews are being so threatened and bullied that they can’t even attend class, synagogues are hiring military with machine guns to protect them during Shabbos services, and Jews walk by Arabs chanting “death to Jews!!”

But, but…..trees are racist!

It takes a special type of cluelessness to keep starting threads about racism when Jews are being so threatened and bullied that they can’t even attend class, synagogues are hiring military with machine guns to protect them during Shabbos services, and Jews walk by Arabs chanting “death to Jews!!”

But, but…..trees are racist!
Everything is racist .. even the sun and climate change.

Forum List

Back