Court Rules Kentucky Print Shop Has Right to Avoid Making Gay Pride T-shirts

Actually, I think that is correct.

Please exercise it.

Your employer will send you packing quickly.

No, you don't. Religion is federally protected.

Title II Of The Civil Rights Act (Public Accommodations) | CRT | Department of Justice

It is protected from the federal government.

The federal government has no mandate under the bill of rights to do anything except stay out of it.

No, that is not correct.

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States - Wikipedia

The Bill of Rights does not say....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So what part of "shall make no laws" don't you understand ?

What part of established law and precedent don't you understand?

You don't have an absolute right to refuse service.

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone?

Yes, you do have an absolute right to refuse service, actually, but some hacks on the Supreme Court ignored what the Constitution actually says.

Owners of private businesses should be able to sell to anyone they want..just as the consumer should be able to choose whatever business they want to buy from.

It's not a difficult concept...it's called FREEDOM.

I am not a fan of this crap, however, you can't not serve blacks or chinese.....

YOu can choose not to serve Chinese food if a Chinese person asks you to make something Chinese in your restaurant.

Choosing not to bake a cake is hot the same as not allowing someone to dine at a restaurant because of ethnicity. They can't be refused service, but they also can't tell you what you have to put on your menu.

However, if you sell cakes, you can't refuse to sell the cake because they are Chinese if you sell cakes to non Chinese.

That's true in all 50 states. In about half, you can't do it to gays. .

We already know what your bullshit snowflake laws say. The discussion here is what the law should say.

Yes. Unlike baking a cake, this was a case about speech. Nobody has to print something they don't want to.

A wedding cake isn't just a generic product—it's an artistic expression of support and celebration for an event. The exact same principles ought to apply.

Oh bullshit. You sell a product. You can't sell the cake to couple A then refuse to sell to couple B because they are (insert group protected by local, state or federal PA laws)
If this was a free country, you could.

Sent from my SM-G935P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Oh wah, cry me a river. You've not been "free" since the mid 60s. Quite the time to start sniveling about it now...

Title II Of The Civil Rights Act (Public Accommodations) | CRT | Department of Justice

We haven't been free since at least 1914, a more like since 1865.

The federal government has no mandate under the bill of rights to do anything except stay out of it.

No, that is not correct.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yes, you do have an absolute right to refuse service, actually, but some hacks on the Supreme Court ignored what the Constitution actually says.

giphy.gif

If I went into a bakery run by homosexuals and asked them to bake a cake of a vagina and write on the cake, "I LOVE PUSSY!!!"....and the baker refused, there is not a chance in hell the gubmint would step in and force the bakery to make the cake or be subject to large fines.
Correct. Because that is speech. But they would have to sell you a cake.

Businesses still have the right to refuse a sale to anyone.

If I went into a bakery run by homosexuals and asked them to bake a cake of a vagina and write on the cake, "I LOVE PUSSY!!!"....and the baker refused, there is not a chance in hell the gubmint would step in and force the bakery to make the cake or be subject to large fines.
Correct. Because that is speech. But they would have to sell you a cake.

Businesses still have the right to refuse a sale to anyone.

Not for any reason, however.

The bakers could have outsourced the cake and just charged the people more for going through them.

"We have a lot of orders. For it to be ready by your wedding date, we are going to have this bakery do it for you. They have more capacity than we do right now."

The bakers could have outsourced the cake and just charged the people more for going through them.

"We have a lot of orders. For it to be ready by your wedding date, we are going to have this bakery do it for you. They have more capacity than we do right now."
That is actual discrimination. Charging one person more than another based on made up bullshit.

They simply should have been able to say NO.

THAT should be everyone's right. I have said no to many jobs over the years. The day someone tries to force me to do a job is the day I give them the middle finger.

No, that is not correct.

giphy.gif

We've seen the chart of smoke and mirrors. It's meaningless. The term "tie" is so vague and lacking any significance that it's perfect for propaganda like yours.

Actually, I think that is correct.

Please exercise it.

Your employer will send you packing quickly.

No, you don't. Religion is federally protected.

No, that is not correct.

You said religion is federally protected.

You can't make that case.

Thanks for saying as much.

Yes. Unlike baking a cake, this was a case about speech. Nobody has to print something they don't want to.

A wedding cake isn't just a generic product—it's an artistic expression of support and celebration for an event. The exact same principles ought to apply.

Oh bullshit. You sell a product. You can't sell the cake to couple A then refuse to sell to couple B because they are (insert group protected by local, state or federal PA laws)
If this was a free country, you could.

Sent from my SM-G935P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

You are free to refuse service to someone who does not meet a dress code.

hmmmmmm........................

You get a sense the government is trying to control your mind ?

I sure do.

I don't want to live in a country where private business can decide what they want to manufacture!!

Businesses should ONLY be allowed to do what the MOTHER GOVERNMENT tells them to do.

Court Rules Kentucky Print Shop Has Right to Avoid Making Gay Pride T-shirts

A right winger's idea of freedom is that the owner gets to insult some people by refusing to serve them on any grounds the owner sees fit.

That's not freedom, that tyranny. If everyone decided they don't want to serve a group of people, their freedom is violated.

If you choose to do business with the public, you cannot violate freedom of some, without imposing your beliefs and ideas on them. It's a fact of life.

Actually, it isn't.

How many times have I seen signs that say "No Shirt...no service" ?

Has that been challenged in court ?

Or are you willing to say it is a "qualified" fact of life ?
Does that target a particular demographic by race, religion, gender, handicap?

What does that have to do with this particular discussion ?

Please read the first line of the quote I was addressing...then get back to me.

BTW: Not being able to afford a shirt might be considered a handicap.

No, that is not correct.

You said religion is federally protected.

You can't make that case.

Thanks for saying as much.

Protected from discrimination in public accommodation. Do you understand what is being discussed?

Forum List

Back