Court Rules Kentucky Print Shop Has Right to Avoid Making Gay Pride T-shirts

If KY had Pubic Accommodation laws that included sexual orientation now that would be news......

SFW?

No not really. You can't compel speech.

Okay I can accept that. How about a certain flag on a shirt? Would/could colors on a custom ordered shirt be considered a form of speech?

Any custom order can be refused. They would refuse to make the same product regardless of who ordered it. It becomes a violation when you refuse to sell the same product to different people.

If KY had Pubic Accommodation laws that included sexual orientation now that would be news......

SFW?

Okay I can accept that. How about a certain flag on a shirt? Would/could colors on a custom ordered shirt be considered a form of speech?

Any custom order can be refused. They would refuse to make the same product regardless of who ordered it. It becomes a violation when you refuse to sell the same product to different people.

Wedding cakes are all custom orders, moron.

A wedding cake isn't just a generic product—it's an artistic expression of support and celebration for an event. The exact same principles ought to apply.

Oh bullshit. You sell a product. You can't sell the cake to couple A then refuse to sell to couple B because they are (insert group protected by local, state or federal PA laws)

The First Amendment is still part of the highest law of the land; and it explicitly protects freedom of expression (including nonexpression) and religion, and implicitly protects freedom of conscience and of association. If you don't like it, then try to get a new amendment ratified to repeal it.

PA laws are part of the law of the land. And withstood Constitutional challenge.

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States - Wikipedia

That case involved interstate commerce. I don't believe there is any federal interest in the cases we are discussing.

SFW?

Wedding cakes are all custom orders, moron.

No, wedding cakes are usually presented to a customer in the form of a catalog or portfolio. Have you ever purchased a wedding cake?

A wedding cake isn't just a generic product—it's an artistic expression of support and celebration for an event. The exact same principles ought to apply.

Oh bullshit. You sell a product. You can't sell the cake to couple A then refuse to sell to couple B because they are (insert group protected by local, state or federal PA laws)

The First Amendment is still part of the highest law of the land; and it explicitly protects freedom of expression (including nonexpression) and religion, and implicitly protects freedom of conscience and of association. If you don't like it, then try to get a new amendment ratified to repeal it.

PA laws are part of the law of the land. And withstood Constitutional challenge.

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States - Wikipedia

That case involved interstate commerce. I don't believe there is any federal interest in the cases we are discussing.

The case in the OP is a non starter. 1. KY has no PA LAW that protects gays. 2. YOU CANNOT COMPEL SPEECH

Forum List

Back