Country Music Didn't "Die"...

What a great tune... But is it really Country and Western? The ole Boy network in Nashville was experimenting a lot like some of the artist of today... They wanted crossover music to sell records to a larger audience... Competition for the likes of Frank Sinatra and the big band singers...

What genre would the music of Jim Reeves be considered as?

Jim Reeves was instrumental in creating a new style of country music which used violins and lusher background arrangements which soon became known as the Nashville Sound. This new sound was able to cross genres which made Reeves even more popular as a recording artist. Reeves became known as a crooner because of his light yet rich baritone voice.
Jim Reeves - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Reeves

What a great tune... But is it really Country and Western? The ole Boy network in Nashville was experimenting a lot like some of the artist of today... They wanted crossover music to sell records to a larger audience... Competition for the likes of Frank Sinatra and the big band singers...

What genre would the music of Jim Reeves be considered as?

Jim Reeves was instrumental in creating a new style of country music which used violins and lusher background arrangements which soon became known as the Nashville Sound. This new sound was able to cross genres which made Reeves even more popular as a recording artist. Reeves became known as a crooner because of his light yet rich baritone voice.
Jim Reeves - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Reeves

This song just had enough country/Western to be legit...Lol................... It was probably the first cross over monster smash hit. I'm sure the old schoolers back then didn't like it...lol

Wow!!!...This was a monster hit. This is 215th song of all time per Billboard. Look how this thing charted...lol

Wow!!!...This was a monster hit. This is 215th song of all time per Billboard. Look how this thing charted...lol

Oh no doubt about it... It is a classic and I have to admit I have drank a few beers listening to it in times of woe... :crybaby::booze:

Chet Atkins was a driving force behind the 'Nashville Sound'...

Don't know if you have seen this or not... If you haven't it is well worth the time imho...

Had a bit of hard time tracking it down on the sites I use. Found it and gonna binge the crap out of it.

I watch memorials and Tributes on Youtube to musicians that have passed and shed tears because there gone... I am still mourning the loss of John Prine... One 14 people that has watched a close to 3 hour funeral service for Leon Russell...
I have been listening to songs from these guys after your mention. This is some straight Ohio River Valley coal country shit. A new gem in my playlist. It reminds me of swimming in the old strip coal mines around these parts. I am genuinely surprised I hadn't heard this.

Ohio River Valley coal country shit

Yee haw... :rock: I have done my fair share of swimming in the strip pits in western Indiana...

I am genuinely surprised I hadn't heard this.

If I may ask you a question... How old are you? Your age may have something to do with not hearing these musical genius's...
Yep. Have done my share of swimming in those same mines. 42. I would say it's due to music that was listened to in my house growing up. It was country from decades earlier. Trends didn't travel so fast for people of my parents generation in Indiana.

Forum List

Back