Conundrum. Chicken wings and eggs.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
I'm trying to rectify these two. Eggs prices have skyrocketed with the excuses of bird fly, increased costs to raise the birds, and any old excuse one can come up with.

Oddly, the price of chicken wings are down.

Chicken wing prices fall to pre-pandemic levels — just in time for football season

Chicken Wing Prices Are Falling Just in Time for the Super Bowl

Now I post two articles saying prices are down. One from last summer and one recent. A chicken can only provide two wings but many eggs. Maybe I overthink things, but this all makes no sense to me. Just as a last jab, while prices are down at the markets, they aren't at the restaurant.

Chicken wing prices are coming down, but not at restaurants | Fingerlakes1.com

It's the gouging.

And the government is letting corporations get away with it at our expense.

These bastards need to get the crap regulated out of them!

Last edited:
I'm trying to rectify these two. Eggs prices have skyrocketed with the excuses of bird fly, increased costs to raise the birds, and any old excuse one can come up with.

Oddly, the price of chicken wings are down.

Chicken wing prices fall to pre-pandemic levels — just in time for football season

Chicken Wing Prices Are Falling Just in Time for the Super Bowl

Now I post two articles saying prices are down. One from last summer and one recent. A chicken can only provide two wings but many eggs. Maybe I overthink things, but this all makes no sense to me. Just as a last jab, while prices are down at the markets, they aren't at the restaurant.

Chicken wing prices are coming down, but not at restaurants | Fingerlakes1.com

The answer I believe would be that the bird flu hit the egg laying operations harder than the chickens for meat operations.

Is this thread about the evils of fat-cat capitalist restaurant owners and egg-producers, or just a jab at capitalism in general?

Is this thread about the evils of fat-cat capitalist restaurant owners and egg-producers, or just a jab at capitalism in general?

How did you read this and think it was an attack on capitalism?

The answer I believe would be that the bird flu hit the egg laying operations harder than the chickens for meat operations.

The attrition among egg-laying poultry isn't so much that they're dying from Avian Flu, as it is government policies mandating the destruction of the flock. Countries that don't have those policies have far lower prices for eggs right now. For example, eggs are going for 19 cents per dozen in Indonesia, $1.34 in Russia, $1.76 in Denmark, $2.22 in Mexico, and $2.49 in China. Switzerland has the highest price, at $6.77 per dozen.

Eggs - prices by country, around the world, December 2022 | GlobalProductPrices.com

The attrition among egg-laying poultry isn't so much that they're dying from Avian Flu, as it is government policies mandating the destruction of the flock. Countries that don't have those policies have far lower prices for eggs right now. For example, eggs are going for 19 cents per dozen in Indonesia, $1.34 in Russia, $1.76 in Denmark, $2.22 in Mexico, and $2.49 in China. Switzerland has the highest price, at $6.77 per dozen.

Eggs - prices by country, around the world, December 2022 | GlobalProductPrices.com

You can't eat their eggs but you can eat their wings?

Denmark has the same policy as us.

You can't eat their eggs but you can eat their wings?

No idea. Why would anyone want to eat the wings anyway? Or the legs or thighs for that matter?

Nothing but chicken breasts or eggs get cooked in my house.

They are entirely different industries. It would be like wondering why milk and beef prices move independently. Or why wool and lamb prices are different.

How does the flu know this?

No idea. Why would anyone want to eat the wings anyway? Or the legs or thighs for that matter?

Nothing but chicken breasts or eggs get cooked in my house.
Oh, please don't say that. Chicken dark meat has all the flavor and juice while breast meat as produced by the industrial chicken industry is about as flavorless and juiceless as it gets.

Forum List

Back