Why aren’t the politicians talking about one of the greatest issues facing America. The Obesity rate and our unhealthy population

Kids easily get addicted to sugar that has to say process sugar which is very unhealthy and addictive.

Things like Oreo cookies or chips ahoy. Or Pepsi or Coca-Cola can be found at schools across America. And so they should be replaced by fresh juice and nutritionist food like apples. People feel better about themselves when they eat healthy.
Here's the problem with that. I teach in a junior high school, chair a department, and I monitor the cafeteria because I work with behavior kids. What I see is this:

Our cafeteria serves the "healthy" food that was mandated under the Obamas. There are strict rules requiring students to take an entree, a vegetable, a fruit, and a milk (whole or lowfat chocolate), and forbidding sharing food, to make sure each child eats his or her mandated portion.

They don't.

They get plenty of tasty food at home, especially if their parents are "poor" and the food is free to them with no requirement to buy health food with the EBT cards. They use the money they save to eat at McDonald's and buy beer.

The mandated "healthy" school food is not even that healthy, just tasteless. Whole grain chocolate donuts, with just as much sugar, but the texture of cardboard is one of the few items that at least gets half eaten. Very little seasoning or spices. No salt or pepper available. The kids, being mainly Hispanic, used to bring Tajin to add some flavor, but it was banned.

So most of it goes into the trash. Probably could save the Arabs in Gaza from starvation with just what my district puts in the trash. Except for our high school.

At our high school, the made the decision to forego federal funds and they hired a professional restaurant manager to run it. It serves delicious flavorful food at a slighly higher cost than the pre-discarded garbage that is served in the lower grades. Free lunchers are taken care of also. It's a separate line, but the food is still better than in my Junior High thanks to the money that paying students provide.

Obesity is a serious problem, alright. But it will only be made worse if government tries to fix it.

Take a look at this wonderful, delicious and healthy spread I got at a restaurant in Cambodia. Quail eggs in the second picture a very strong source of protein and other health benefits.

View attachment 915141

View attachment 915143

But go to the USA in every major city especially the inner cities… you got a Kentucky fried chicken and McDonald’s on every street corner

According to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, more than 2 in 5 adults are obese, and nearly 1 in 5 children are obese. Furthermore, 19 states in America have obesity rates over 35 percent, increased from 16 states just last year. A decade ago, no states had obesity rates above 35 percent! Obesity is linked to a number of health ailments, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and a number of cancers such as breast and colorectal. If that wasn’t enough, the annual medical cost of obesity was nearly 173 billion dollars in 2019 alone.

Looks like Korean barbeque with Japanese chopsticks.

I pay my taxes.
I elect people to say how it is spent.

Maybe you're voting for the wrong people.
What does that have to do with anything?
So? Don't take the voucher. Give it to a neighbor. Use it for TP.
You don't seem to be absorbing this point. Taking money from someone, and then refusing to give it back unless they do what you tell them, is controlling them. It's weird that you seem to think it isn't.
This is 'murica. you can be just as stupid as you like.
Exactly.

Last edited:
Many families have both mother and father working at least one full-time job, and as a result the kids end up eating a lot of questionable frozen/prepared food. Over time this can have a deleterious effect on health and weight.

Why aren’t the politicians talking about one of the greatest issues facing America. The Obesity rate and our unhealthy population​

One is... JFK Jr.... its why he is rising in the polls... still speaks of what people care about...

What does that have to do with anything?

You don't seem to be absorbing this point. Taking money from someone, and then refusing to give it back unless they do what you tell them, is controlling them. It's weird that you seem to think it isn't.

Exactly.
What inline quotes look like.

1710103710588.gif

Here's the problem with that. I teach in a junior high school, chair a department, and I monitor the cafeteria because I work with behavior kids. What I see is this:

Our cafeteria serves the "healthy" food that was mandated under the Obamas. There are strict rules requiring students to take an entree, a vegetable, a fruit, and a milk (whole or lowfat chocolate), and forbidding sharing food, to make sure each child eats his or her mandated portion.

They don't.

They get plenty of tasty food at home, especially if their parents are "poor" and the food is free to them with no requirement to buy health food with the EBT cards. They use the money they save to eat at McDonald's and buy beer.

The mandated "healthy" school food is not even that healthy, just tasteless. Whole grain chocolate donuts, with just as much sugar, but the texture of cardboard is one of the few items that at least gets half eaten. Very little seasoning or spices. No salt or pepper available. The kids, being mainly Hispanic, used to bring Tajin to add some flavor, but it was banned.

So most of it goes into the trash. Probably could save the Arabs in Gaza from starvation with just what my district puts in the trash. Except for our high school.

At our high school, the made the decision to forego federal funds and they hired a professional restaurant manager to run it. It serves delicious flavorful food at a slighly higher cost than the pre-discarded garbage that is served in the lower grades. Free lunchers are taken care of also. It's a separate line, but the food is still better than in my Junior High thanks to the money that paying students provide.

Obesity is a serious problem, alright. But it will only be made worse if government tries to fix it.

Those are some informative points. Much appreciated. The beginning of the Obama era was kind of before I really got into politics. But my point is Michelle Obama was in the right place. She was right to urge, healthy food for children. So it’s a great idea. The only question is simply how to apply the idea. Sometimes we get it wrong, but it is ultimately the right idea for any responsible adult at least.

To your point about high school lunches. I remember back in my days of high school we had the free lunches. It was perhaps kind of an embarrassment for a youngster to hold out the free lunch card and everybody else sees that they have poor parents. And so there it is really that is the American society for you and is unfair for children but that’s life. It really is something that you have multimillionaire parents, and then you have their kids who can drive sports cars that are sometimes worth more money than what the teachers have.

I was fortunate enough to be raised in the middle-class household. Now that’s something that we don’t really have much of these days in America. Dwindling middle-class is what we have today. And I grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s when we had at least a stronger class compared to today.

And yes, as for high school lunches, the food school serve wasn’t always the best. Sometimes we did have a good salad. Often students would bring their own lunch to school.

Now you talk about your school and by the way, I appreciate your position in being A teacher and mentor to children. As we know, there are different culture’s and settings going on in high schools or middle schools all throughout the USA. There’s different types of populations. Different types of rules. Different ways to address the obesity problems and how to feed our children

I appreciate you taking the time because other people, including Republicans don’t take time on these subjects they simply provide media talking points, and it is not appropriate.

Whether it is the government or not, you pointed out as everybody knows that we have a health problem in America. It’s not just an obesity problem. It’s also a child obesity problem. We also have homeless folks who have a difficult time finding food and they are going hungry.

What we know is that the United States is the richest country in the world. We’ve given hundreds of billions of dollars to countries like Ukraine, Israel, and Egypt. …think about what all of that money or even a fraction of it could do to confront hunger issues in America among children. I recall the statistics saying it wouldn’t really cost that much money perhaps a few billion dollars to solve the homelessness crisis in America

$50 billion allocated toward addressing child obesity, and hungry students across America. For people who might say wait a minute that’s too much money. We the American taxpayers fork over much more money every year to our government. The only question is what will our taxpayers go toward and I said before I would sleep very well at night, knowing that the money went toward school programs For students to eat.

Having a successful program for students to have breakfast and lunch is a different story. And I agree with you. It’s not an easy issue to address.

By the way, it’s not just the free lunch often schools have breakfast programs for youngsters who are poor.

Last edited:
Then make those kids wards of the state. Feed em whatever you want. What's that got to do with ordinary families?
What is your solution to obese children in America and kids who don’t have parents at home to give them money for school lunches.

Do you think that the state or federal government should adjust the issue or private organizations?

Ordinary families. We’re all citizens of America here. Now whether somebody is a Christian or not any responsible adult in a moral society would look after the youngest of citizens, including the children because they are the future of the country.

We don’t need a future where the citizens are a bunch of obese, lazy anti-Americans. That’s what anti-Americanism gets us . it’s not just left-wing fanatics that are a threat to the future of the USA. There are also Republicans That are not interested in the American future.

Take a look at this wonderful, delicious and healthy spread I got at a restaurant in Cambodia. Quail eggs in the second picture a very strong source of protein and other health benefits.

View attachment 915141

View attachment 915143

But go to the USA in every major city especially the inner cities… you got a Kentucky fried chicken and McDonald’s on every street corner

According to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, more than 2 in 5 adults are obese, and nearly 1 in 5 children are obese. Furthermore, 19 states in America have obesity rates over 35 percent, increased from 16 states just last year. A decade ago, no states had obesity rates above 35 percent! Obesity is linked to a number of health ailments, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and a number of cancers such as breast and colorectal. If that wasn’t enough, the annual medical cost of obesity was nearly 173 billion dollars in 2019 alone.

Looks gross but I hope you enjoyed. On the flip side my brother is at a surf competition and this is the breakfast “wrap”. America is awesome!

He is skinny though.

IMG_0998.jpeg

What’s wrong with a nice soft boiled egg for breakfast?

I can get goose eggs from my local farmers’ market. Could manage a few omelettes out of those.
Sounds like a great breakfast. I like eggs of all sorts eggs are a wonderful source of protein, whether it’s duck, quail, or chicken.

Looks gross but I hope you enjoyed. On the flip side my brother is at a surf competition and this is the breakfast “wrap”. America is awesome!

He is skinny though.

View attachment 915377
Looks good.

Quail eggs are delicious.

America has the most obese population in the world. Is an embarrassment and it is a threat to the future. We have a child obesity problem. This is an issue for Republicans and Democrats to tackle.

Forum List

Back