Conundrum. Chicken wings and eggs.

The answer I believe would be that the bird flu hit the egg laying operations harder than the chickens for meat operations.
Hens in a commercial environment can be productive egg, layers for a couple years. Meat birds depending on breed can go from egg to table in 6 months. Egg layers are a sustained investment. Meat birds are turnkey. The bird flu kill off have wrecked hen houses. I won't use the popular word "decimated" which isn't really that bad. It means reduced by 10%. The kill off in the egg laying hen houses was much more destructive than that...

Hens in a commercial environment can be productive egg, layers for a couple years. Meat birds depending on breed can go from egg to table in 6 months. Egg layers are a sustained investment. Meat birds are turnkey. The bird flu kill off have wrecked hen houses. I won't use the popular word "decimated" which isn't really that bad. It means reduced by 10%. The kill off in the egg laying hen houses was much more destructive than that...

Yep. But this seems a tad hard for some of our member to grasp.

How does the flu know this?
Do I really have to spell it out to you? Okay, since you insist.

How do you catch the flu? You get if from being in close quarters with someone who has it, while someone you never meet and with whom you share nothing and no one will not infect you. With me so far? The populations of chickens that produce eggs and that are raised for slaughter don't have contact because they're completely different industries. You don't see Tyson and Perdue on egg cartons, for example, while you do see them on packages of chicken meat. Therefore, when egg-laying chickens get sick, they pose a much lower risk of spreading the disease to chickens raised for slaughter then they do to chickens in their same industry, which can spread the disease via the trucks used to transport the eggs from farm to processors, just for one example. A truck out collecting eggs goes from farm to farm, but since the only farms it visits has egg-layers, it's not going to spread anything to farms raising chickens for slaughter.

Is all of this making sense to you?

plus they are totally different breeds...egg layers numbers depend on the breed...most use sex links....they lay fast and heavy but are short lived...back yard hens are normally what are called heritage breeds such as dominique, barred rocks... buff
wyandottes..these breeds dont lay an egg daily as many believe

Yep. But this seems a tad hard for some of our member to grasp.
There seems to be a misconception that chicken farms are like the good old days on the family farm where McDonald would raise chickens, collecting their eggs every morning, then slaughtering them for Sunday lunch when they got too old. Today's industrial farms are much more specialized, with chickens producing eggs or meat, but not both. And this isn't even new. My Dad, 85 years old, still talks about going out before breakfast to feed the coal fired furnaces my Grandpa used to keep his chickens warm in the winter until the trucks came to take them for processing, and they didn't sell eggs.

Last edited:

How do you catch the flu? You get if from being in close quarters with someone who has it, while someone you never meet and with whom you share nothing and no one will not infect you. With me so far? The populations of chickens that produce eggs and that are raised for slaughter don't have contact because they're completely different industries. You don't see Tyson and Perdue on egg cartons, for example, while you do see them on packages of chicken meat. Therefore, when egg-laying chickens get sick, they pose a much lower risk of spreading the disease to chickens raised for slaughter then they do to chickens in their same industry, which can spread the disease via the trucks used to transport the eggs from farm to processors, just for one example. A truck out collecting eggs goes from farm to farm, but since the only farms it visits has egg-layers, it's not going to spread anything to farms raising chickens for slaughter.

Thank you for laying out, what I wish were obvious...

Birds infected with the flu, stop producing eggs.

I keep hearing people are paying $4.00 or more for eggs. Where I live, they are $2.50.

I keep hearing people are paying $4.00 or more for eggs. Where I live, they are $2.50.

I got 18 free range, brown eggs for 5.70 yesterday.

Seems a lot of these price stories are like fishing stories....the more they are told the higher the price gets

Seems you are the one in need of a chicken egg education
My opinion is shaped by decades of eating food and deciding what I like. I spurn no food until I've tried it out enough to know if I really like or don't like it, and, as someone who cooks, am thoroughly grateful to those who prepare it. So yeah, I like dark chicken meat a lot more than the white meat.

Forum List

Back