Zone1 Coming to know God

It is easy for a Sunday School teacher to work with the story of Jonah. Ask a student for an example the last time their parent told them to do something they did not want to do and they disobeyed. This progresses to dark feelings and dark times--which is what happened when Jonah told God he didn't want to do something. He landed in deep waters and ended up in a dark place. It took him about three days to "see the light" and understand obeying God (or a parent) brings one out of dark times.
A dark place, such as in the belly of a fish/whale.

I'm fine with not taking the bibles literally. That then goes with the confusion created in not accepting any of the bible as being literal.

Tell me? Was 'creation' not intended to be taken literally?

Would you like to move on to a mutual understanding that nothing about Christianity is intended to be believed as the literal word of your god? Nothing?

I'll propose that to be our starting point.

You may find that you can work with me on Deism?

He knows that but doesn't attempt to offer anything better so far. His replies give the impression that he doesn't believe that evidence can be asked for, but instead tells us that we should seek the god?
This couldn't be farther from the truth. You'd be hard pressed to link to one of her posts that supports this because there aren't any.

Be an atheist. No one cares if you are an atheist. Go be happy.

What is left of Christianity for us to believe? It's a serious question.
I take it you are not after a relationship with God? After that, it has been my experience that the moral Laws of God as well as the Beatitudes and other teachings of Jesus has been a blessed way through this life. I do not see religion as a path to heaven, but as a path through this life. It has been my guide and it has been worthwhile and a blessed way to travel through the difficulties we stumble into in our present life. Experiencing God has been the icing on that cake.

Old news. That occurred in my grandmother's time.
If that's what you claim then I'll accept it as the truth.

If it isn't true then it presents no threat in accepting it.

And it's probably unfair to ask for a quote from 50, 70, 80 years ago?

Old news. That occurred in my grandmother's time.
Do you know who Pierre Teilhard de Chardin is? He was a Jesuit paleontologist who worked to understand evolution and faith. He was part of the 1929 team that discovered "Peking Man."

Have you read his book, "The Phenomenon of Man?" Here's a diagram from the book.

1672258988776.png

And I'm fine too if you have nothing to offer.
I only offering a Bible verse: Seek and you shall find. That is what I did. If you think I can take you by the hand and lead you, I did not learn that verse. The verse says seek--and that is what I did. The verse did not tell me to wait around for someone else to lead me--so I did not wait.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. You'd be hard pressed to link to one of her posts that supports this because there aren't any.

Be an atheist. No one cares if you are an atheist. Go be happy.
Her? Meriweather?

Lots of people care. Caring is most likely above your mental pay grade.

Atheists have nothing in common but a rejection of the god.
We do have something in common with Christians in that we accept *Darwinian evolution too!

*(a very small % of atheists excepted)

If that's what you claim then I'll accept it as the truth.

If it isn't true then it presents no threat in accepting it.

The Phenomenon of Man (French: Le phénomène humain) is an essay by the French geologist, paleontologist, philosopher, and Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. In this work, Teilhard describes evolution as a process that leads to increasing complexity, culminating in the unification of consciousness. The text was written in the 1930s, but it achieved publication only posthumously, in 1955.

I only offering a Bible verse: Seek and you shall find. That is what I did. If you think I can take you by the hand and lead you, I did not learn that verse. The verse says seek--and that is what I did. The verse did not tell me to wait around for someone else to lead me--so I did not wait.
How did you seek? What did you do?
I'm confident of my ability to understand any explanation you can offer.

Tell me? Was 'creation' not intended to be taken literally?
I find it instructive, if one studies the original Hebrew. For example, in the Hebrew language, the word translated as 'day' often meant a long, unspecified period of time with a beginning and an end. The English could equally have been interpreted as, "In the first eon of time..."

Some denominations believe Creation occurred in 24 hour periods. I was never taught to believe that.

Her? Meriweather?

Lots of people care. Caring is most likely above your mental pay grade.

Atheists have nothing in common but a rejection of the god.
We do have something in common with Christians in that we accept *Darwinian evolution too!

*(a very small % of atheists excepted)
You don't know the first thing about me other than you are biased towards me because of my faith. But I can assure you that I have forgotten more science than you know. So be careful where you step, you just might find yourself called out in the Bull Ring to prove that.

The Phenomenon of Man (French: Le phénomène humain) is an essay by the French geologist, paleontologist, philosopher, and Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. In this work, Teilhard describes evolution as a process that leads to increasing complexity, culminating in the unification of consciousness. The text was written in the 1930s, but it achieved publication only posthumously, in 1955.

A swing and a miss.
You were the one who didn't care. Now you expect to be able to slither back into favour? It's not that easy!

Apply yourself to the challenge and find us some evidence of the church accepting Darwinian evolution 50 plus years ago.

Exactly. It's not our job. It's theirs. At the end of the day atheism is an intellectual dead end. It requires zero effort or intellect to believe.

Would you like to move on to a mutual understanding that nothing about Christianity is intended to be believed as the literal word of your god? Nothing?

I'll propose that to be our starting point.

You may find that you can work with me on Deism?
I don't think we have a meeting point here. For example, I believe the Beatitudes should be taken literally. I believe the Lord's Prayer should be taken literally.

I do believe not everything should be taken literally, and I do believe the Bible was written by man, but inspired by God.

Deism is the belief in a Supreme Being who does not intervene. That is not my experience of God. God cares deeply about each one of us. This does not mean He intervenes constantly or even consistently. Some things are what they are. Other things can use a helping hand. God is not a genii to command or use for a wish. There is so much more to the Almighty than that.

You don't know the first thing about me other than you are biased towards me because of my faith.

But I can assure you that I have forgotten more science than you know.
I'm not permitted to reply to off-topic remarks but I can at least tell you that you shouldn't be making unfounded claims for yourself, in that you compare your knowledge with mine.

Exactly. It's not our job. It's theirs. At the end of the day atheism is an intellectual dead end. It requires zero effort or intellect to believe.
Atheists aren't expected to believe. Ours is strictly in not believing.

A swing and a miss.
You were the one who didn't care. Now you expect to be able to slither back into favour? It's not that easy!

Apply yourself to the challenge and find us some evidence of the church accepting Darwinian evolution 50 plus years ago.
This is such typical behavior. I get that the RCC accepting evolution upsets your apple cart, but it is indeed a fact. Why wouldn't they? Science has shown the universe was created from nothing which is in accordance with the Catholic and Jewish belief of Creatio ex nihilo. Genesis perfectly captured the creation and evolution of the universe 6,000 years before science confirmed it.

I'm not permitted to reply to off-topic remarks but I can at least tell you that you shouldn't be making unfounded claims for yourself, in that you compare your knowledge with mine.
Can you tell me how the universe was created from nothing in great detail? I can. Can you tell me the different stages of the evolution of space and time? I can. I have had discussions with you before. I know exactly how science illiterate you are.

Atheists aren't expected to believe. Ours is strictly in not believing.
Exactly. A belief about nothing. A negation of a belief. Which is why you can't make a positive case for atheism. It's impossible to prove a negative. At least it is for you anyway.

The best you can say is that it's a coincidence the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence. But that ignores the overwhelming evidence that life and intelligence is built into the fabric of energy and matter. It's not an accident or a coincidence that life and intelligence arose. It was literally predestined to happen through the laws of nature. So, it's not a coincidence that life and intelligence arose. It was only a matter of time.

Well, my grandmother (a staunch Catholic) would be 113 years old today. It was her children (two of the three also staunch Catholics) who laughingly told us that whenever Grandma was asked if she believed humans evolved from monkeys, she always replied, "No we evolved from a fish." Eighty years ago, she would have been thirty-three, so I am guessing we can be confident it was an eighty-year-old quote.

Forum List

Back