Zone1 What are the Signs of the Times (Parable of the fig tree)?

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
“When Jesus spoke to his disciples in answer to their query: ‘Show us when the end of the world shall come, and the time of thy coming’ [Matthew 24:3], he spoke of certain signs that would indicate the time of his coming, the very signs that the world, if they only had eyes to see, could be beholding today: Said he: judge the matter even as you would judge the coming of spring. When you see the fig tree putting forth its leaf, ye know that summer is near, and so when you see these signs, you may know that the coming of the Son of man is nigh at hand.” (Melvin J. Ballard, in Conference Report, Oct. 1923, p. 32.)

Even though no man knows the day or the hour when our Lord Jesus will make his second coming appearance, we are told that we can know the approximate time by taking note of the Signs of the Times. So my question to you is, "What are the signs of the times that we can see that will show us that the time is getting very near? Also discuss whether you think any specific sign of the time has already occurred or whether it is yet to occur."

Also discuss whether you think any specific sign of the time has already occurred or whether it is yet to occur."
The rebirth of the nation of Israel in 1948 was the first major sign. The rest are less about unique events than about a confluence of "normal" things that have happened through the ages but which will increase in scale and timing:

Jesus identifies "the beginnings of birth pangs":[10]

Next he described more birth pangs which would lead to the coming Kingdom:[10]

Jesus then warned the disciples about the abomination of desolation "standing where it does not belong".

After Jesus described the "abomination that causes desolation", he warns that the people of Judea should flee to the mountains as a matter of such urgency that they shouldn't even return to get things from their homes. Jesus also warned that if it happened in winter or on the Sabbath fleeing would be even more difficult. Jesus described this as a time of "Great Tribulation" worse than anything that had gone before.

One other that I believe is nearing fulfillment is Ezekiel 38/39

A leader from the uttermost north of Israel named Gog of Magog will lead a coalition of countries against Israel for the purpose of taking a "spoil".

‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. 4 I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords. 5 Persia, [b]Ethiopia, and [c]Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; 6 Gomer and all its troops; the house of Togarmah from the far north and all its troops—many people are with you.

These nations that are listed are the modern countries of Iran, Turkey, Libya, and several other, smaller nations which share one commonality. They are all Islamic nations.
TMK, there is no precedent for an alliance between Turkey (Sunni) and Iran (Shia). Neither do either of them have a history of aligning themselves with Russia. ALL of this is happening right now. We are watching it unfold. This catastrophe in Ukraine was, IMO, caused by the west pushing ever farther east with NATO and it is leading to a realignment of Russia with multiple other nations and that will lead to these events, in time.

In Matthew 24 we find the following signs:

1. False Christs
Verse 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. Here is an interesting link showing that some actually teach that they are the Christ - False Christs Arising Worldwide Claiming to Be Second Coming of Jesus

2. Wars and Rumors of Wars
Verse 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. Here are lists of wars since 1800 from Wikipedia.

Last edited:
3. Famine, Pestilences, and Earthquakes
Verses 7-8
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
Again lists from Wikipedia
List of Famines
Here is the dictionary.com definition of "pestilence"

pestilence​

[ pes-tl-uhns ]SHOW IPA

noun
a deadly or virulent epidemic disease.
bubonic plague.
something that is considered harmful, destructive, or evil.

Lists of Diseases

Lists of Earthquakes

4. Martyrs for Jesus
Verse 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake.
I believe this has occurred and is occurring in the world today but will yet increase over time. Again from Wikipedia a list of Christian Martyrs.

List of Christian Martyrs

5. An increase in being offended by one another, betraying one another, and hating one another.
Verse 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

It is hard to objectively show that there is more offended, betrayed and hated people in the world today that ever before in history but just looking at the world events in recent history and by watching the news, it sure seems like there is a great amount of this in the world today. I found this article to be a good take on the cause of so much of what is wrong in the world today.

The Real Reason There is So Much Hate and Dysfunction in America...

the heavenly spoken religion of antiquity - the triumph of good vs evil - makes it perfectly clear when the journey set by a&e will come to a conclusion - take your choice when looking for signs which is the most likely before the last of one or the other perishes.

prescribed following the great catastrophe - noah.

The rebirth of the nation of Israel in 1948 was the first major sign. The rest are less about unique events than about a confluence of "normal" things that have happened through the ages but which will increase in scale and timing:

Jesus then warned the disciples about the abomination of desolation "standing where it does not belong".

After Jesus described the "abomination that causes desolation", he warns that the people of Judea should flee to the mountains as a matter of such urgency that they shouldn't even return to get things from their homes. Jesus also warned that if it happened in winter or on the Sabbath fleeing would be even more difficult. Jesus described this as a time of "Great Tribulation" worse than anything that had gone before.

A leader from the uttermost north of Israel named Gog of Magog will lead a coalition of countries against Israel for the purpose of taking a "spoil".

‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. 4 I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords. 5 Persia, [b]Ethiopia, and [c]Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; 6 Gomer and all its troops; the house of Togarmah from the far north and all its troops—many people are with you.

These nations that are listed are the modern countries of Iran, Turkey, Libya, and several other, smaller nations which share one commonality. They are all Islamic nations.
TMK, there is no precedent for an alliance between Turkey (Sunni) and Iran (Shia). Neither do either of them have a history of aligning themselves with Russia. ALL of this is happening right now. We are watching it unfold. This catastrophe in Ukraine was, IMO, caused by the west pushing ever farther east with NATO and it is leading to a realignment of Russia with multiple other nations and that will lead to these events, in time.

They did flee to the mountains. They went to Pella and avoided the tribulation.

Iran was always aligned with Russia.

Iran was always aligned with Russia.
Can you cite a source for that? I don't know about the entirety of the historical relationship but I do know that during the Afghanistan conflict Russia was hated by ALL Islam as a Godless system. Also, the idea that a majority Sunni nation would become allied with a majority Shia nation is pretty much unheard of, isn't it?
I have no doubt these situations will eventually become a reality just as Ezekiel 37 became a reality on May 14th, 1948 when the nation of Israel came into being. The "valley of dry bones" and the rebirth of Israel had been predicted for a couple of millennia. These predictions of specific nations/ people groups joining to come against Israel has never occurred yet. In fact, until just the last few years, it looked like Turkey would never align with Russia or Iran but now Turkey has an Islamic radical as president and he not only hates Israel, he is pushing back against NATO member countries by buying weapons from Russia.
He has been so dedicated to that policy that the U.S. kicked Turkey out of the F-35 program. He chose to buy Russian S-400s instead of our best stealth fighter. Now that Putin's Russia has cut itself off from the west and has realigned with enemies and or competitors of the west, new alliances are forming and Russia, China, Turkey, and possibly even India are joining forces to work for hegemony in the Pacific. The Japanese just announced a massive increase in defense spending as a result of the elevated threat from China and Russia surrounding the events in Taiwan.

Since Iran is going to have nukes in the relatively short term, non-proliferation is dead so if this alliance begins to gel and the west sees themselves facing a nuclear threat from Iran and or Pakistan - with Russian support - I think the U.S. should answer that by staging nuclear cruise missiles in Taiwan and even Japan, if either nation wants them. I mean, what would China or Russia do? Stage the same kind of nukes in south or central America? Once non-proliferation is dead, there is no longer any pressing need to keep these weapons out of the hands of lesser nations.

Can you cite a source for that? I don't know about the entirety of the historical relationship but I do know that during the Afghanistan conflict Russia was hated by ALL Islam as a Godless system. Also, the idea that a majority Sunni nation would become allied with a majority Shia nation is pretty much unheard of, isn't it?
I have no doubt these situations will eventually become a reality just as Ezekiel 37 became a reality on May 14th, 1948 when the nation of Israel came into being. The "valley of dry bones" and the rebirth of Israel had been predicted for a couple of millennia. These predictions of specific nations/ people groups joining to come against Israel has never occurred yet. In fact, until just the last few years, it looked like Turkey would never align with Russia or Iran but now Turkey has an Islamic radical as president and he not only hates Israel, he is pushing back against NATO member countries by buying weapons from Russia.
He has been so dedicated to that policy that the U.S. kicked Turkey out of the F-35 program. He chose to buy Russian S-400s instead of our best stealth fighter. Now that Putin's Russia has cut itself off from the west and has realigned with enemies and or competitors of the west, new alliances are forming and Russia, China, Turkey, and possibly even India are joining forces to work for hegemony in the Pacific. The Japanese just announced a massive increase in defense spending as a result of the elevated threat from China and Russia surrounding the events in Taiwan.

Since Iran is going to have nukes in the relatively short term, non-proliferation is dead so if this alliance begins to gel and the west sees themselves facing a nuclear threat from Iran and or Pakistan - with Russian support - I think the U.S. should answer that by staging nuclear cruise missiles in Taiwan and even Japan, if either nation wants them. I mean, what would China or Russia do? Stage the same kind of nukes in south or central America? Once non-proliferation is dead, there is no longer any pressing need to keep these weapons out of the hands of lesser nations.

Pakistani nukes are just to check India. After the Israelis financed India's nuclear bombs Pakistan had to have them too.

Historically Russia and Iran had good relations. You can see the influence in Iranian art and antiques. Arabs are traditionally traders and merchants so they opposed communism... They opposed the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Trump killed the strategy for nuclear non proliferation. Makes me sad because the Saudis promoted nuclear non proliferation for over 60 years.

6. False Prophets
verse 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

In these latter days, there have been many who have made prophesies regarding things happening by a certain date and those dates have come and past without their prophesies coming true. By their fruits ye shall know them. Another sign of a false prophet is if he/she contradicts the teachings of Christ.

7. Iniquity Shall Abound and the Love of Many Shall Wax Cold
Verses
12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Reported FBI known offences for 2022
2022 Crime (Projected Data)*IncidentsPer 100,000
Aggravated Assault834,701248
Arson00
Burglary741,573221
Larceny and Theft4,802,4121,429
Motor Vehicle Theft754,038224
Murder and Manslaughter17,7875
Rape170,07851
Robbery254,12476
Crime Rate (Total Incidents)7,575,7622,254
Property Crime6,298,0231,873
Violent Crime1,277,739380

This is saying, if I'm not mistaken, that 1 in every 50 people are committing one of these crimes. Certainly the love of these people has waxed cold.

Last edited:
7. Iniquity Shall Abound and the Love of Many Shall Wax Cold
Verses
12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Reported FBI known offences for 2022
2022 Crime (Projected Data)*IncidentsPer 100,000
Aggravated Assault834,701248
Arson00
Burglary741,573221
Larceny and Theft4,802,4121,429
Motor Vehicle Theft754,038224
Murder and Manslaughter17,7875
Rape170,07851
Robbery254,12476
Crime Rate (Total Incidents)7,575,7622,254
Property Crime6,298,0231,873
Violent Crime1,277,739380

This is saying, if I'm not mistaken, that 1 in every 50 people are committing one of these crimes. Certain the love of these people has waxed cold.

that is not true, save only that the last to perish to bring about the calamity the c-bible predicts there will be non left living to be saved.

the heavens will not intervene again - who remain, the crucifiers will all perish. deservedly so and the end of humanity.

that is not true, save only that the last to perish to bring about the calamity the c-bible predicts there will be non left living to be saved.

the heavens will not intervene again - who remain, the crucifiers will all perish. deservedly so and the end of humanity.
Show me where in the Bible it says that.

Show me where in the Bible it says that.

the religion of antiquity, the triumph of good vs evil.

the bible is incomplete and dwells for how to escape from its calamity than to prevent it - or the triumph over evil, the prescription at the time of noah for all remaining as the salvation for remission to paradise ... the conclusion of a&e's journey.

8. Gospel To Be Preached in All the World
Verse 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

From Wikipedia the following maps show where memberships in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are numerous and few.

Here is an example:

Membership​

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints membership record count by country as of December 31, 2019, or the latest data or estimate available for country data not published by the church for that year

The gray areas on the map show where our memberships are low. This to me shows that we are getting near the end.

9. The Abomination of Desolation Spoken of by Daniel the Prophets will come to pass.
Verses
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand),
16 Then let them which be in Judæa flee into the mountains:
17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened.

To the prophet Joseph Smith, these verses were given more clarity through revelation as follows:

Joseph Smith - Matthew 1:32-34
32 And again shall the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, be fulfilled.
33 And immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
34 Verily, I say unto you, this generation, in which these things shall be shown forth, shall not pass away until all I have told you shall be fulfilled.

Basically it is predicted that the Abomination of Desolation would occur twice. The first occurrence happened in 70 A.D. when the Jews were scattered and destroyed in Jerusalem. The second occurrence will happen when Jerusalem is again besieged right before Jesus comes back and sets his foot down upon the Mount of Olives and saves the Jews in their plight. This more famously known as the the time of the battle of Armageddon. The shortening of those days, I believe, applies to the second Abomination of Desolation and it will be Jesus who brings those days to be shortened by his coming and setting his foot upon the Mount of Olives.

10. The Coming of Jesus Christ to all the World
Verses
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

When Jesus comes at His second coming, it will not be an obscure appearance but He will appear as lightening coming out of the east and shining even unto the west. But prior to his coming the sun shall be darkened and the moon will not give its light and stars shall fall from heaven. Then will the Son of Man appear in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Forum List

Back