Zone1 Coming to know God

No. You should read it like an adult and not an overly emotional child. Stop blaming Jewish embellishment on God. It's illogical.

that would be all 3 desert religions - moses, the liar who claimed from heaven, heavenly tablets etched w/ 10 commandments ...

are you afraid to be mature enough to remove them from the c-bible to begin the process to extricate all the embellishments written by the crucifiers included in their 4th century document. from 10000 pgs to ~ 5.

Oh really? You want to just ignore parts of the bible, but you're willing to make decisions about what you think will be your eternal life because some guy said the voices in his head told him? Sure, BooBoo that sounds like some mighty fine reasoning to me.
So your decision is to roll the dice on your eternal life that there is nothing? Not even science agrees with you. The first law of thermodynamics tells you energy is never destroyed. It can only change forms. We know scientifically that energy leaves the body during death, and we have testimony from Atheists even during Near Death Experiences that there is life beyond death. There are people we know who have passed on, and there is joy and peace there.

Do you know what happens to an Atheist who has a Near Death Experience? They become believers in God.

Maybe you should watch some NDE videos.

There is a God and there is an afterlife.

Last edited:
So your decision is to roll the dice on your eternal life that there is nothing? Not even science agrees with you.
Aren't we underestimating God. To paraphrase Edwin Markham:

But love and God has the wit to win: He draws a circle that draws us in. I trust in God's love and redemption.

There is a God and there is an afterlife.

and you claim your monotheistic desert religion is the only option for - remission to the everlasting - requiring worship of an earthly messiah - as only humans from planet earth are all there is to be found in the heavenly paradise ... the c-bible.

just for kicks, polytheism can be the only solution - for a non religion of servitude - be on your knees, sinner.

Go back to the original Hebrew. Also keep in mind how the English language is prone to great changes over time.

Also...you said at one time you believed you loved God and that God loved you. That is your foundation. God loves. People give usually one-sided accounts of their perspective of what took place. People are also the heroes of their own stories.

Another big clue: Jews believe, insist, God's ways are not our ways and that He sees things differently than people see them.

Could it be that for some reason you actually wanted to see God in the light you believe the Bible paints Him? If so, why did you want this? People we love generally get the benefit of the doubt. People we are mad at often do not. Were you upset with God? (Just wondering, not trying to analyze you.)
No. No big trauma or anything like that. I retired, and had time to study for my own entertainment. It took almost a year before I had to concede that most of what I had assumed to be true was just so much bullshit.

Well make up your mind. Which parts are supposed to be true, and which parts are embellishment? Who makes that decision, and what specific criteria do they use?
I think you should keep doing everything exactly as you are doing it.

No. No big trauma or anything like that. I retired, and had time to study for my own entertainment. It took almost a year before I had to concede that most of what I had assumed to be true was just so much bullshit.
As strange as it sounds, it is worth considering--

When God fails a test we set for Him, we have failed the test He has set for us.

Two thoughts to address: The first is how did you come to know God, and to have faith in God?

The second: Specifically what made you decide there is no God to know? What caused you to stop exploring the possibility?

As frequent posters here may know, I first came to know about God in children's Little Golden Books. At that young age, getting to know about God made me insistent that knowing about God wasn't enough. Abraham, Noah, Moses had their experiences, and I wanted mine. Little Golden Books started me out, and my own stubbornness and persistence took it from there.

Why did you continue...or, why did you give up?

I was born into the religion. I didn’t really have a choice in the matter. Or my particular sect I did what they call, “getting saved” when I was 11 years old. Then at age 17 I “led someone to the Lord”. That night he tried to steal a car so he could go have sex with some chick. He didn’t succeed. My mom and I caught him in the act and stopped him. I was pissed. I knew God had no power at that point. Since that time I have been back and forth believing in God for a season and then drifting away. If God exists He is so ambiguous that I cannot prove that He was working in my life or if they were mere coincidences. At some point I just realized I was an idiot chasing a delicious fantasy. I don’t want to be an idiot no more. I’m not going to “believe” anymore. I want to know. I have never known that God was real. I just had powerful hunches that I couldn’t prove to any of you. So that leaves me holding the bag looking like an idiot.

Well make up your mind. Which parts are supposed to be true, and which parts are embellishment? Who makes that decision, and what specific criteria do they use?

The individual gets to choose which parts of the Bible is true and which part is lies. When we refuse to see the Bible as just a book, we reduce its potential to empower us. You can take the good and leave the bad. There is nothing wrong with that unless you claim it is the word of God. Then discarding the parts you don’t like makes no sense. Is it the word of God or just a book?

Then discarding the parts you don’t like makes no sense. Is it the word of God or just a book?
I look at it realizing not everything in the Bible is about me. Keeps me humble recognizing how little of it does pertain to me personally.

I want to know. I have never known that God was real. I just had powerful hunches that I couldn’t prove to any of you. So that leaves me holding the bag looking like an idiot.
Or, looking like a man of wisdom...because one thing the Bible is firm about is that we are unable to truly know and understand God. Sometimes the reality is that in fact we don't know what we believe.

Two thoughts to address: The first is how did you come to know God, and to have faith in God?
I spent the first 27 years of my life “knowing” the empty God of Christianity due to family expectations. Then, due to life events I went on an almost three year religious/spiritual search and found the path I now follow. A path based on a personal understanding that The Deity doesn’t give a single fuck about any of us.

a personal understanding that The Deity doesn’t give a single fuck about any of us.

He did give one fuck. He fucked the Virgin Mary to produce His only son to provide the ultimate sacrifice to forgive us of all our sins. If you said he doesn’t give two fucks you would be right but he did give one good fuck. Surely you at least acknowledge the correct amount of fucks given.

He did give one fuck. He fucked the Virgin Mary to produce His only son to provide the ultimate sacrifice to forgive us of all our sins. If you said he doesn’t give two fucks you would be right but he did give one good fuck. Surely you at least acknowledge the correct amount of fucks given
Sorry, I tried to buy that line of bullshit for 27 years before I learned better. I can’t even try to pay lip service to that crap anymore. I can’t continue to waste any more time, energy or money investing in the lies of organized religion, especially Christianity.

Sorry, I tried to buy that line of bullshit for 27 years before I learned better. I can’t even try to pay lip service to that crap anymore. I can’t continue to waste any more time, energy or money investing in the lies of organized religion, especially Christianity.

I was trying to be funny.

As strange as it sounds, it is worth considering--

When God fails a test we set for Him, we have failed the test He has set for us.
That's exactly why I don't believe in a god. When I had basic, realistic questions I couldn't find the answer to, and asked people who should be able to answer them all I ever got was " you should pray more" or "you have to believe it all first" and I think this is the first time I have heard I failed some kind of test. I did believe for most of my life, and I did pray ----- a lot, and I don't know what to do about a test that I'm not aware of. If a god exists, and demands I worship him to avoid eternal damnation, he should do something to show he is different from all the other gods that other religions worship. That's not too much to expect.

That's exactly why I don't believe in a god. When I had basic, realistic questions I couldn't find the answer to, and asked people who should be able to answer them all I ever got was " you should pray more" or "you have to believe it all first" and I think this is the first time I have heard I failed some kind of test. I did believe for most of my life, and I did pray ----- a lot, and I don't know what to do about a test that I'm not aware of. If a god exists, and demands I worship him to avoid eternal damnation, he should do something to show he is different from all the other gods that other religions worship. That's not too much to expect.
One of the Commandments says we are not to test God. So if we test God, we already failed. I agree that the pray more and believe is probably not helpful. As I don't know what questions you had that were not able to be answered, I have no opinion on that.

The test is wanting someone, the Bible, God to give you answers. To that I can only advise seek God, not answers.

What do you think of
  • Know God
  • Love God
  • Serve God

One of the Commandments says we are not to test God. So if we test God, we already failed. I agree that the pray more and believe is probably not helpful. As I don't know what questions you had that were not able to be answered, I have no opinion on that.

The test is wanting someone, the Bible, God to give you answers. To that I can only advise seek God, not answers.

What do you think of
  • Know God
  • Love God
  • Serve God
If a god does exist, I'm not sure the one depicted in the Bible, who did all those horrible things is worthy of love. Perhaps fear.

If a god does exist, I'm not sure the one depicted in the Bible, who did all those horrible things is worthy of love. Perhaps fear.
I had the same question. I knew God is love. So why did people in the Old Testament depict Him the way they did? Their experiences of God must have been just as valid as mine. So I went to the Hebrew and rabbinical scholars.

We see through a different lens than Biblical cultures did. To skip to the end...they see God as love as well.

Forum List

Back