Civics should be mandatory for all children before they graduate

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Before getting a diploma, all children should be able to pass a proficiency test in Civics.

Everyone should understand exactly how their government works.

This ignorance of so many people is astonishing.

I was talking to a 39 year old woman the other day who said there are 52 states. She got mad at me when I corrected her.

Does the government WANT people to be ignorant about how the government is formed and operated?

Before getting a diploma, all children should be able to pass a proficiency test in Civics.

I was talking to a 39 year old woman the other day who said there are 52 states. She got mad at me when I corrected her.

Does the government WANT people to be ignorant about how the government is formed and operated?
Been mandatory in Idaho for some time--just passed this amendment to it this in 2020

In fact, most states have a 1 semester course --but not as a prerequisite to graduation

8 have a full year requirement

Been mandatory in Idaho for some time--just passed this amendment to it this in 2020

In fact, most states have a 1 semester course --but not as a prerequisite to graduation

Good for Idaho.

It should be federal. Let the Department of Education actually do something.

Federally mandated 7th grade Civics for every public school.

Civics is way down the list of things we need to be teaching.

Voters need to know the issues that they are concerned with and vote accordingly.

Civics is good to know but hardly critical to your survival.

What good does knowing there are 435 Congressmen, 100 Senators and how many members are on the Supreme Court do you?

Most things taught in Civics are memorized for the test and quickly forgotten

Last edited:
Voters need to know the issues that they are concerned with and vote accordingly.

Civics is good to know but hardly critical to your survival.

What good does knowing there are 435 Congressmen, 100 Senators and how many members are on the Supreme Court do you?
Exactly. People should be taught that they have a civic and personal responsibility to be healthy, have a job, and obey the law.

Students should be taught that they have a responsibility to pay attention and learn what is being taught.

Parents should be taught that they are role models for their kids, for better or worse.

Most things taught in Civics are memorized for the test and quickly forgotten

And yet you managed to recall that there are 435 Congressmen, 100 Senators and you know how many members are on the Supreme Court...

Lovely. Government dictated indoctrination! The liberals will have a field day with that. Can you say CRT? Sure you can!

"Are you on drugs?" is a silly question. Which drugs are you on?

Exactly. People should be taught that they have a civic and personal responsibility to be healthy,

I don't know that it's necessarily a civic responsibility, but certainly a personal one...

have a job,

Not everyone needs a job...

and obey the law.

No argument there...

Students should be taught that they have a responsibility to pay attention and learn what is being taught.

True...

Parents should be taught that they are role models for their kids, for better or worse.

Who would you suggest we get to teach them?

And yet you managed to recall that there are 435 Congressmen, 100 Senators and you know how many members are on the Supreme Court...
I am a political geek who hangs out on USMB
Most people do not give a shit about the things we obsess over

Civics has very little bearing over our everyday lives

Last edited:
Everyone should productively contribute.

I would disagree with that, but I would say they have a responsibility to not be a burden...

Send them a letter explaining the concept.

Okay, so we're now no longer teaching them and, instead, are going to rely on them not throwing that letter out with the other junk mail?

Who do you suggest we get to write that letter?

I would disagree with that, but I would say they have a responsibility to not be a burden...
I can live with that.
Okay, so we're now no longer teaching them and, instead, are going to rely on them not throwing that letter out with the other junk mail?

Who do you suggest we get to write that letter?
I'll write it. :) It would be part of regular communications with parents whose children appear to be 'at risk'.

There are only so many hours in the day. After sex ed, gender identity and racial equity, the day is gone.
Have you ever actually read a school curriculum guide or do you just listen to right wing lies.

I know you aren’t this ^^^ stupid but your act is.

I got my first civics lesson in fourth grade in NM. It was a required subject for jr. high passage.

Have you ever actually read a school curriculum guide or do you just listen to right wing lies.

I know you aren’t this ^^^ stupid but your act is.
I know people with children in school. I have a step great granddaughter taken out of school in California on an emergency basis and sent to relatives in Texas.

A high school honor student was taught and explained to me that Hitler was in the KKK, and hated blacks. WWII was fought to free the slaves.

Forum List

Back