Cincinnati was screwed over

There are 2 teams going to the AFC and the NFC.
I will be rooting for the NFC or in words for NFL.

The game was created as part of a 1966 merger agreement between the NFL and the competing American Football League (AFL) to have their best teams compete for a championship. It was originally called the AFL–NFL World Championship Game until the "Super Bowl" moniker was adopted in 1969's Super Bowl III. The first four Super Bowls from 1967 to 1970 were played before the merger, with the NFL and AFL each winning two.

The game was created as part of a 1966 merger agreement between the NFL and the competing American Football League (AFL) to have their best teams compete for a championship. It was originally called the AFL–NFL World Championship Game until the "Super Bowl" moniker was adopted in 1969's Super Bowl III. The first four Super Bowls from 1967 to 1970 were played before the merger, with the NFL and AFL each winning two.
What?

AFL all the way since SB I! GO CHEFS!!!

Cincinnati Bengals' Joseph Ossai says he's 'got to be better' after costly penalty in defeat to Kansas City Chiefs​

Joseph Ossai was flagged for unnecessary roughness in the final seconds as the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Cincinnati Bengals 23-20 to win the AFC Championship Game and advance to the Super Bowl​

Last Updated: 30/01/23 12:06pm

A tearful Joseph Ossai had to be consoled on the sideline by Cincinnati Bengals team-mates and coaches on Sunday after giving up the penalty that would pave the way for the Kansas City Chiefs' game-winning field goal in the AFC Championship Game.

Ossai was flagged for unnecessary roughness with 17 seconds to play and the scores tied at 20-20 after shoving Patrick Mahomes after he had gone out of bounds at the sideline while trying to scramble for a third-and-four conversion.

There were some unfortunate calls against Cincinnati but that bonehead unsportsmanlike penalty by Ossai cost them the game.
I beg to differ...With 7 minutes left in the game and Cincinnati on the 40 yard line of the Chiefs, with 3rd and 3 yards to go, bone head Joe decided to throw the ball deep and get it intercepted, instead of going for a short 3 yards. That was what caused Cincinnati to have to wait another season for "Who Dey". Such a stupid thing Joe did.

th

I mean, come on, giving the Chiefs 5 downs instead of 4?

I beg to differ...With 7 minutes left in the game and Cincinnati on the 40 yard line of the Chiefs, with 3rd and 3 yards to go, bone head Joe decided to throw the ball deep and get it intercepted, instead of going for a short 3 yards. That was what caused Cincinnati to have to wait another season for "Who Dey". Such a stupid thing Joe did.
Agreed, a dumb play. And of course the end result of a game is the cumulative effect of all the plays, no single one. But when one ref keeps his flag and another throws it on one of the last plays of a game, then they have decided the outcome.

When he pushed (not hit) Mahomes, Mahomes foot was just leaving the OB line. It was nowhere near an illegal hit. In fact, when he is still in bounds you can see #58 was a mere foot or two away from him at the most. In the NFL, it is pretty hard to hold up on every play when you are doing all you can to get at your opponent as fast as you can. These out of bounds hits need to be better looked at --- as well as roughing the passer calls -- and when in doubt, let the play go.

1675101575490.png

When he pushed (not hit) Mahomes, Mahomes foot was just leaving the OB line. It was nowhere near an illegal hit. In fact, when he is still in bounds you can see #58 was a mere foot or two away from him at the most. In the NFL, it is pretty hard to hold up on every play when you are doing all you can to get at your opponent as fast as you can. These out of bounds hits need to be better looked at --- as well as roughing the passer calls -- and when in doubt, let the play go.

View attachment 752212
On plays like that what if the QB fakes going out of bounds then cuts back. Now Mahomes likely wanted out of bounds for time but the defender is just playing defense. Let him.

View attachment 752212
I am a Bengal fan and was very disappointed when on 3rd down and 3 yards to go, Joe went deep and got intercepted. But i watched the play where Patrick had both feet out of bounds when number 58 hit him. The game is trying to stop players from being hurt unnecessarily.

I am a Bengal fan and was very disappointed when on 3rd down and 3 yards to go, Joe went deep and got intercepted. But i watched the play where Patrick had both feet out of bounds when number 58 hit him. The game is trying to stop players from being hurt unnecessarily.
I understand and that makes sense to me. But let me ask this. If Mahomes does not fall from the moderate push (not hit) does that play get called 15 yard penalty? I say the answer is "no" because I have witnessed countless situations where the defender's momentum carried him into the runner and he makes contact and even causes a push. And in almost all of those cases, if that is all that took place, there is no flag. ----------- I also believe when a QB takes off running he should no longer be treated as a QB but just a runner and can get hit as hard as anyone else. The exception, of course, being if he attempts to slide.

My view is that bad calls happen. Refs have to watch at full speed with action happening everywhere, and even with eyes in the sky they won't be able to catch everything, all the time. Football teams have to accept that there is a more or less random element to the game as there is in all of life.

And every team benefits from it, and every team loses from it. After all, the Bengals might not have even made it that far if the refs hadn't sat on their flag for the block in the back during Hubbard's game-saving fumble return against the Patriots, and the Chiefs had already had an interception and a touchdown called back during last night's game due to very iffy calls. It happens.

The NFL isn't rigged, but it does clearly have a problem with officiating these days. Who knows what the ref was thinking when he ran out onto the field to fix the time, without blowing his whistle, for starters. I've also never seen a coach allowed to reverse his decision on accepting or declining a penalty after it had been announced and the teams were lined up. I don't get it.

The NFL needs to address those issues and make serious moves to fix them, if for no other reason than the fact that sports betting is going to get nothing but bigger, meaning there will be even more people with an obscene amount of money riding on the refs' calls. The first step should be to making the refs full time, which to me is a no-brainer. Their integrity needs to be at least as heavily and publicly established as a judge's, and their calls need to be reviewed and standardized against a pre-defined set of standards, or else trust in their game is going to erode, probably more quickly than they may expect.

My view is that bad calls happen. Refs have to watch at full speed with action happening everywhere, and even with eyes in the sky they won't be able to catch everything, all the time. Football teams have to accept that there is a more or less random element to the game as there is in all of life.

And every team benefits from it, and every team loses from it. After all, the Bengals might not have even made it that far if the refs hadn't sat on their flag for the block in the back during Hubbard's game-saving fumble return against the Patriots, and the Chiefs had already had an interception and a touchdown called back during last night's game due to very iffy calls. It happens.

The NFL isn't rigged, but it does clearly have a problem with officiating these days. Who knows what the ref was thinking when he ran out onto the field to fix the time, without blowing his whistle, for starters. I've also never seen a coach allowed to reverse his decision on accepting or declining a penalty after it had been announced and the teams were lined up. I don't get it.

The NFL needs to address those issues and make serious moves to fix them, if for no other reason than the fact that sports betting is going to get nothing but bigger, meaning there will be even more people with an obscene amount of money riding on the refs' calls. The first step should be to making the refs full time, which to me is a no-brainer. Their integrity needs to be at least as heavily and publicly established as a judge's, and their calls need to be reviewed and standardized against a pre-defined set of standards, or else trust in their game is going to erode, probably more quickly than they may expect.

I think the real problem in the NFL is how they have embraced gambling. Tune in on Sunday, they'll talk about all the sports books and betting options, etc.

Makes the possibility of gamblers looking to rig games a lot more possible.

Forum List

Back