Chilling - Gun confiscations begin in Florida

This is a very slippery slope, when legislators pass laws that allow local authorities to confiscate guns from individuals based on "criteria" before any crime has been committed.

While we certainly see the benefit IF THE PERSON WAS ACTUALLY STOPPED from murdering people, but none of the people from whom weapons were taken have. And yes, it's a small number of people to begin with. but once the precedent has been set, once Florida gets a Democrat gun grabber governor and legislature all it takes is arbitrary rulings to be added, such as anyone who's ever posted on a forum and seems angry about political circumstances, could be added to the list. Or anyone who supports certain Presidents. Don't ever underestimate the radical Left.

More than 450 people in Florida ordered to give up guns under new law, report says

Here is a link to the full text of the law passed.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

If a person identifies you as potentially harmful through nearly any act or threat of aggression, you could have your guns confiscated.

This is a VERY VERY dangerous law. The state has declared lawyers hired to defend actions by defendants to block these actions cannot be awarded attorneys fees, thereby discouraging attorneys from taking cases where these actions have been initiated.

This should be seen as a shot across the bow to the 2nd amendment.

Unbelievable leeway to do large scale confiscations.
well, it's over.

the first is being used to remove your second

the state can now steal from you even though you are not a criminal.

a republican state passed this...
That’s what makes cache ing so vital. Guns and ammo are cheap, and no one knows what tomorrow will bring...
Legal guns aren't cheap or I'd have a few.

I can buy a few Hipoint 9mms without a background check that were purchased before the gun check laws all day long for about a hundred bucks a copy. Yes, they may jam after the first round or the 3rd or may even fire the whole mag. Or I can buy them brand new for under 200 bucks and they will probably not jam for a few hundred rounds. There are some real cheap guns out there to be had. What you probably mean to say is, good quality guns aren't cheap. Cheap guns are cheap.
I got a hundred dollar Makarov that has never jammed. Had it for 18 years.

A New Makarov costs about twice what a Hipoint does. I would say it's an inexpensive, not a cheap gun.

This is a very slippery slope, when legislators pass laws that allow local authorities to confiscate guns from individuals based on "criteria" before any crime has been committed.

While we certainly see the benefit IF THE PERSON WAS ACTUALLY STOPPED from murdering people, but none of the people from whom weapons were taken have. And yes, it's a small number of people to begin with. but once the precedent has been set, once Florida gets a Democrat gun grabber governor and legislature all it takes is arbitrary rulings to be added, such as anyone who's ever posted on a forum and seems angry about political circumstances, could be added to the list. Or anyone who supports certain Presidents. Don't ever underestimate the radical Left.

More than 450 people in Florida ordered to give up guns under new law, report says

If a person identifies you as potentially harmful through nearly any act or threat of aggression, you could have your guns confiscated.

This is a VERY VERY dangerous law. The state has declared lawyers hired to defend actions by defendants to block these actions cannot be awarded attorneys fees, thereby discouraging attorneys from taking cases where these actions have been initiated.

Yes, taking guns away from mentally unstable people who have not killed anyone is a travesty. So is denying a drivers license to blind people until that actually run over someone in a crosswalk. Fucking idiot!

A blind person doesn't have a right to a driver's license.

And why not? If a complete Idiot with openly known homicidal tendencies can buy and own a gun why shouldn't a blind person be permitted to drive? There isn't much difference.

If the republicans who control the state of Florida didn't write in protections for everyone to have their day in court to prevent the confiscation from happening then that's the fault of the republicans in Florida.

If they did put those protections in that law then the confiscations are probably lawful. Guns were taken from people who doctors and the state proved were a threat to themselves and others

The way to prevent mass shootings is to identify the crazy people before they kill a bunch of innocent people.

It looks to me that the law is doing what it's supposed to do. Get guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people.

I thought you gun nuts didn't want crazy people to have guns. In fact you all blame it on people being mentally unstable and our government doing nothing about it.

Now Florida is doing something about it and you have a problem with them doing what you want them to do?

You people need to make up your minds.
Do you or do you not understand the concept of DUE PROCESS?

Wow..................look at all the Trump supporters who are bitching about guns being taken away from crazy people.

By the way, did you know that Trump is also in favor of taking guns first, and then going through due process later? Here's a link, and because a lot of you conservatives won't believe anything that isn't from conservative media, the link is to The Hill, a conservative news site.

Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'

President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process rights.

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.

Trump was responding to comments from Vice President Pence that families and local law enforcement should have more tools to report potentially dangerous individuals with weapons.

“Allow due process so no one’s rights are trampled, but the ability to go to court, obtain an order and then collect not only the firearms but any weapons,” Pence said.

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court," Trump responded.

Trump met with lawmakers on Wednesday to discuss gun laws and school safety in the aftermath of a Feb. 14 shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 people dead

well, it's over.

the first is being used to remove your second

the state can now steal from you even though you are not a criminal.

a republican state passed this...
That’s what makes cache ing so vital. Guns and ammo are cheap, and no one knows what tomorrow will bring...

I can buy a few Hipoint 9mms without a background check that were purchased before the gun check laws all day long for about a hundred bucks a copy. Yes, they may jam after the first round or the 3rd or may even fire the whole mag. Or I can buy them brand new for under 200 bucks and they will probably not jam for a few hundred rounds. There are some real cheap guns out there to be had. What you probably mean to say is, good quality guns aren't cheap. Cheap guns are cheap.

A New Makarov costs about twice what a Hipoint does. I would say it's an inexpensive, not a cheap gun.
Where do you buy "new" Maks at? They imported military surplus only!

Wow..................look at all the Trump supporters who are bitching about guns being taken away from crazy people.

By the way, did you know that Trump is also in favor of taking guns first, and then going through due process later? Here's a link, and because a lot of you conservatives won't believe anything that isn't from conservative media, the link is to The Hill, a conservative news site.

President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process rights.

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

Trump was responding to comments from Vice President Pence that families and local law enforcement should have more tools to report potentially dangerous individuals with weapons.

“Allow due process so no one’s rights are trampled, but the ability to go to court, obtain an order and then collect not only the firearms but any weapons,” Pence said.

Trump met with lawmakers on Wednesday to discuss gun laws and school safety in the aftermath of a Feb. 14 shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 people dead
Crazy people? how so? You gripe about Trump being a liar everyday but swallow everything the government says when it comes to banning guns.

Crazy people? how so? You gripe about Trump being a liar everyday but swallow everything the government says when it comes to banning guns.

I didn't "swallow" anything. I simply told you that Trump is also in favor of taking the guns first, then going through due process later.

And, I didn't say anything one way or the other as to how I feel about this.

Where do you buy "new" Maks at? They imported military surplus only!

Yet they are still in production though. If all you can get are military surplus then that is what you buy. And the military surplus is selling in the US for as much as a new one in Europe. If you want one, you buy what you can buy. Or are you just trolling.

"Broward deputies sought the order in Smith’s case after he was arrested March 29 on an attempted murder charge for allegedly firing six shots into the back of a car being driving by his best friend, Jackon Lavon, 34. Smith had become angry after demanding Lavon return his cellphone and shot at him with a Glock semiautomatic pistol, the complaint said. After his arrest, Smith was released on a $3,000 bond. Deputies also took the Glock and vouchered it as evidence.

In their petition for the risk protection order, the deputies told the judge that Smith had been arrested on aggravated assault charges in 2016 and 2017. In the 2017 case Smith was accused of approaching a vehicle in his driveway and threatening to shoot the passenger, a woman. Prosecutors ultimately declined to pursue charges against Smith, WPLG reported. In the 2016 case, Smith was accused of pulling a knife on a person and threatening him with it. The disposition of that case was not known."

I can't believe they violated this man's rights by taking away his AR-15.

Due process provides protection for those accused of crimes, but that has never been interpreted to mean no actions to further public safety can be taken without charges or a conviction of a crime.

While we certainly see the benefit IF THE PERSON WAS ACTUALLY STOPPED from murdering people, but none of the people from whom weapons were taken have. .

Did you read the article?

Here is the first guy who had his guns confiscated:

Broward deputies sought the order in Smith’s case after he was arrested March 29 on an attempted murder charge for allegedly firing six shots into the back of a car being driving by his best friend, Jackon Lavon, 34.

And you object to his guns being confiscated?

If the republicans who control the state of Florida didn't write in protections for everyone to have their day in court to prevent the confiscation from happening then that's the fault of the republicans in Florida.

If they did put those protections in that law then the confiscations are probably lawful. Guns were taken from people who doctors and the state proved were a threat to themselves and others

The way to prevent mass shootings is to identify the crazy people before they kill a bunch of innocent people.

It looks to me that the law is doing what it's supposed to do. Get guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people.

I thought you gun nuts didn't want crazy people to have guns. In fact you all blame it on people being mentally unstable and our government doing nothing about it.

Now Florida is doing something about it and you have a problem with them doing what you want them to do?

We don't want crazy democrats to have guns.... that is true. The problem is that the people who are grabbing these guns may not just be targeting crazy people...after all, they get to grab the guns, then you get to prove you are not crazy to a court, that isn't how our system is supposed to work...they are guilty until proven innocent.....that isn't how it is supposed to work.

The anti gunners will use any excuse to screw over law abiding gun owners, to the point of using insomnia as an excuse to remove gun rights...

Sorry, but you don't know that to be the case. Most people have no problem with this law because there are people out there who scream about Parkland and how something should have been done to take the kid's guns away.

You are simply trying to have it both ways.

I know of many 2nd Amendment supporters that have said the same thing. But have balked at taking any action. Well, Florida took action. Of course, they also lost lives because action was not taken. Let's see how it goes. It just might work. Of course, if nothing comes from it then some will say how it doesn't work. Actually, if nothing comes out of it, that shows that it IS working.

Florida isn't the first or only state to have that law.

My state passed one much like it by the people at the ballot a few years ago.

It passed with a wide margin of over 60% of the popular vote. I voted in the majority.

No politician did that. We the people of my state did.

I don't know how many people have lost their guns because it's been proven the person is a threat to themselves or someone else but I do know that more states need to do this.

Less mass shootings and dead people is a very good thing.

You mean to tell me that all those republicans who wrote that bill, who voted for that bill, who passed that bill through both houses of the republican controlled Florida congress didn't put any safe guards and due process in that bill?

Then the republican governor signed that bill into law knowing there was no safe guards and due process in that bill?

Wow.

You should take that up with the republicans in Florida or the Judge in the cases that you say aren't due process.

LOL.

Do you understand that it's best to read the article before you make a fool of yourself?

Last edited:

Hey Jaraxle, check out post 84. It shows that Trump is in favor of taking guns away from people determined to be crazy FIRST, and then they have to do due process through the courts to get their guns back. Are you gonna bitch about Trump too? There's even a video showing him saying take the guns first, and go through the courts second.

We don't want crazy democrats to have guns.... that is true. The problem is that the people who are grabbing these guns may not just be targeting crazy people...after all, they get to grab the guns, then you get to prove you are not crazy to a court, that isn't how our system is supposed to work...they are guilty until proven innocent.....that isn't how it is supposed to work.

The anti gunners will use any excuse to screw over law abiding gun owners, to the point of using insomnia as an excuse to remove gun rights...

Sorry, but you don't know that to be the case. Most people have no problem with this law because there are people out there who scream about Parkland and how something should have been done to take the kid's guns away.

You are simply trying to have it both ways.

Wrong..... anti gun paper pushers in government have used all sorts of excuses to ban people from getting gun permits they deserve, and they have used insomnia and other weak excuses to keep guns out of the hands of people....

Having an actual process that keeps them from abusing this law is what they call "meeting in the middle" which for some reason always means the gun owner gets screwed over.

Remember all those complaints about cops confiscating property without due process......

You are innocent until proven guilty, and if you go out and take someones guns, you better make that process 1) free 2) easy to contest in court..... if it turns out that those losing their guns can't afford the court costs, and legal fees to get their guns back...what do you say to that?

You mean to tell me that all those republicans who wrote that bill, who voted for that bill, who passed that bill through both houses of the republican controlled Florida congress didn't put any safe guards and due process in that bill?

Then the republican governor signed that bill into law knowing there was no safe guards and due process in that bill?

Wow.

You should take that up with the republicans in Florida or the Judge in the cases that you say aren't due process.

LOL.

Do you understand that it's best to read the article before you make a fool of yourself?

It is called government..... they screw up without even trying....... that is why conservatives want limited government...even the best intentioned government screws up, creating more problems...

You moron.

Hey Jaraxle, check out post 84. It shows that Trump is in favor of taking guns away from people determined to be crazy FIRST, and then they have to do due process through the courts to get their guns back. Are you gonna bitch about Trump too? There's even a video showing him saying take the guns first, and go through the courts second.

Yep... Trump is not a policy expert on everything, so he would be wrong on this. Only twits like you who worship obama thought he was infallible....

You nut-bars are fond of the saying "an armed society is a polite society" right?

Better take that little gem to heart.

No, dipshit...... we are noting that there better be due process safeguards in the process of taking guns from people since they are a protected Right.... you left wing fascists assholes don't care about due process.... but normal people do. The point is the only ones saying they are dangerous are cops and other paper pushers..... the abuse of this law is easily seen by normal people...since you are an asshat, you don't see the issue.... since your idiot, fellow usefull idiots don't mind stripping Rights away from people, you don't understand the issues here...

I didn't "swallow" anything. I simply told you that Trump is also in favor of taking the guns first, then going through due process later.

And, I didn't say anything one way or the other as to how I feel about this.

And then the issue was explained to him....... he throws out ideas, you moron, and then hears feed back..... do you just play stupid when you post, or are you actually that stupid in real life?

Forum List

Back