Zone1 Catholics do NOT believe that their good works are what saves them! Another myth Protestants believe

nomadic5

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2022
Protestants get Catholicism WRONG more often than not (understatement).

Catholics say that works are not what saves you. Nevertheless, you cannot get to Heaven without doing good works for Christ and the furtherance of His Kingdom on Earth

Catholicism teaches (or did until Francis the heretic came along) that it is GRACE that saves, grace that comes from Jesus Christ (Father, Son and Holy Spirit).

Doing good works in and with and through Christ brings... what?

GRACE

Not doing good works for the furtherance of the Kingdom brings what...

lack of grace... sins indulged in to the point you don't care about your soul much or anyone else's

Catholics say that works are not what saves you. Nevertheless, you cannot get to Heaven without doing good works for Christ and the furtherance of His Kingdom on Earth
I have a question: What are the good works that non-Catholic Christians (or for that matter, fellow Catholic) see Catholics doing? For example, when anyone sees someone politely giving up the right of way to another driver, is their first reaction, "Oh, that's just some Catholic trying to work his/her way into heaven"?
Who, in fact, is doing good works today, and where do we see them doing those works?

I have a question: What are the good works that non-Catholic Christians (or for that matter, fellow Catholic) see Catholics doing? For example, when anyone sees someone politely giving up the right of way to another driver, is their first reaction, "Oh, that's just some Catholic trying to work his/her way into heaven"?
Who, in fact, is doing good works today, and where do we see them doing those works?
LOL

I've had the same thought (just not about giving the right away to someone. On that, I just usually get ticked off if someone is "too much in a hurry to be Christian")

There are a lot of good works. One should use his or her talents to further Christ's kingdom on Earth. Some are good at writing letters to prominent people, some are good at teaching a catechism class, and others are good at... I could go on all day.

People should find what they are really good at and use it to help God's work on Earth.

to paraphrase Jesus: If your works are not FOR me, they are against me.. or how about His actual words:

He who does not gather with me scatters

:)

I believe it's the whole "say two hail marys and call be in the morning" thing people don't buy.
Praying to Mary gives grace to the soul

She is what all of us should be: a human being without original sin. I'm sure she didn't have much non-original or actual sin either. She was likely tempted to sin at Calvary, seeing how the thugs dealt with her precious son...?

not sure what the ancient Church teaches about that kind of thing

I believe it's the whole "say two hail marys and call be in the morning" thing people don't buy.
Do you believe in meditation?

Saying anything against the rosary (a form of meditation) is announcing no belief in meditation.

Define: hokey religions

My religion saved me from---long story there. But I was a different person before I discovered Catholicism. I was raised Catholic but really I kind of wasn't. The rosary has helped me to overcome some of my worst habits. And sin does become a habit, doesn't it? Whatever gets you to God is a beautiful and wonderful thing. So I wish Protestants would stop bashing something they usually have not one clue about: Catholicism (true Catholicism... not Francis & Co)

the religion of antiquity, the journey of a&e will only come to a conclusion by the necessary accomplishment by each individual themselves, required for judgment and the means for admission to the everlasting.

LOL

If any of you can understand that last post by Breezy

you're a bigger man than I

LOL

If any of you can understand that last post by Breezy

you're a bigger man than I

clear as a bell -

the triumph of good vs evil - the heavenly requirement for judgement, which is accomplished - for admission to the everlasting. or parish.

Breezy took an English class once

and breezed right through it without retaining much

Breezy took an English class once

and breezed right through it without retaining much

- nothing new there, a delinquent from some distant shore or more likely a wet back from the southern hemisphere ... surly, for them - one or the other desert religion a highlite for their simple life.

Doing good works in and with and through Christ brings... what?

GRACE
It brings servitude to an ideology where you are expected to DO without receiving anything material in return. I call that SLAVERY.
Not doing good works for the furtherance of the Kingdom brings what...

lack of grace... sins indulged in to the point you don't care about your soul much or anyone else's
It brings an understanding that you’re not wasting your time, energy and money on something which will bring you no reward.

If FAITH isn’t enough to earn Salvation, I wouldn’t want anything to do with Salvation. Not that I have any faith in the Abrahamic God to begin with.

- nothing new there, a delinquent from some distant shore or more likely a wet back from the southern hemisphere ... surly, for them - one or the other desert religion a highlite for their simple life.
nothing new here...............run-on sentences

incomplete sentences

misspelled words

I guess you don't care if people get what you are trying to say. Maybe it's because you don't get it either.

It brings servitude to an ideology where you are expected to DO without receiving anything material in return. I call that SLAVERY.

It brings an understanding that you’re not wasting your time, energy and money on something which will bring you no reward.

If FAITH isn’t enough to earn Salvation, I wouldn’t want anything to do with Salvation. Not that I have any faith in the Abrahamic God to begin with.
well, we all have choices.

You choose to believe garbage and some of us believe in a very real PERSON who loves us.

EVeryone needs unconditional love. Trying to get it from a human is a joke. THAT is slavery to me -- unless you find some really good person, but the only good people I've ever found were devout Christians, people who took Jesus and His words seriously.

You choose to believe garbage and some of us believe in a very real PERSON who loves us.
My father believed in that guy. When my father needed that guy the most, HE WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.
EVeryone needs unconditional love. Trying to get it from a human is a joke. THAT is slavery to me -- unless you find some really good person, but the only good people I've ever found were devout Christians, people who took Jesus and His words seriously
I don’t believe in live. I never have and never will. I learned that it doesn’t exist very early in life and a half century later I haven’t found anything to change my mind.

My father believed in that guy. When my father needed that guy the most, HE WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

I don’t believe in live. I never have and never will. I learned that it doesn’t exist very early in life and a half century later I haven’t found anything to change my mind.
well, Seek and you will find

I've had crises in my life where I got frustrated with how my spiritual life was going (not going) and one time, in total exasperation, I said to myself "I don't know what I believe anymore" For a moment, I let it all go. So I sat there and wondered about this.....

What DO I believe? (with certainty)

And one word came to me from Realityville:

JESUS

well, Seek and you will find
Apparently we found different things during our searches. Glad you found something that works for you. It doesn’t work for me anymore.
I've had crises in my life where I got frustrated with how my spiritual life was going (not going) and one time, in total exasperation, I said to myself "I don't know what I believe anymore" For a moment, I let it all go. So I sat there and wondered about this.....

What DO I believe? (with certainty)

And one word came to me from Realityville:

JESUS
When I got to that questioning mentality it was more an “I don’t believe this anymore” moment. It was an understanding that I no longer had the faith that I’d had for years. I sought out an answer and it didn’t end up being any organized religion or faith.

Forum List

Back