Cat Lovers Thread

DrWhoCat.jpg

I want one

I would love to own an exotic cat but neighbors would murder it out of fear and ignorance.

Someone in Detroit had a Savannah cat. It got out, and some ignorant bastard shot it

Savannah cats look exotic and wild but they are great pets

press_release_distribution_0497633_187031_2.jpg

I want one

I would love to own an exotic cat but neighbors would murder it out of fear and ignorance.

Someone in Detroit had a Savannah cat. It got out, and some ignorant bastard shot it

Savannah cats look exotic and wild but they are great pets

I love big cats too! :up:

I love big cats too! :up:

I've long thought that if it were feasible and safe, I would love to have a liger as a pet. Ligers are a hybrid of a male lion and a female tiger, and they are the biggest cats in the world. They're extremely rare in nature, as lions and tigers usually are not naturally found in the same places. They usually only ever occur in settings where lions and tigers are kept together in artificial captivity. Male ligers are sterile, but female ligers can breed with either of the parent species, producing even further hybridized animals. I believe that there is a zoo somewhere in Russia that has some liligers—offspring of a female liger having mated with a male lion.

1676168990733.png
1676169159519.png

Realistically, I don't think it is at all feasible to think that I could ever afford the cost just of feeding an animal so large and active, much less whatever other care such an animal would need. It would certainly not be feasible to keep such a large animal in my apartment.

And who knows how much I could ever trust any such animal not to attack and harm me?

Much closer to realty, but probably still well outside my own resources, I understand that cheetahs are actually quite domesticatable, and can make very good pets.

Beautiful Tippy Hedren, Melanie Griffith's mother, kept lions as pets.....but of course I would not recommend this....she had a Sanctuary for big cats, so that's different!;)

62qsS7h.jpg

uG60BpQ.jpg

I have always owned cats. First of all, I may very well owe a cat my life. When I was an infant in Texas, our cat killed a huge scorpion in my crib. I have owned cats ever since.

I have had so many. There have been a few that are worth mentioning.

Fuzzball: a kitten that I found abandoned in the snow. I named it Fuzzball because until it became an adult, it's hair stood straight on end. It was the most gorgeous chocolate brown I've ever seen.

Fred the Battle Cat: an ugly ass stray that had a neck and shoulders like a bull dog. He came to me all beat up one day. I fed him and he stuck around until he was healed the disappeared for a couple of days, coming back all beat up and bleeding again. This happened off and on for a couple of years then one day he never made it back to me.

Siggy: the cat I have now. He's a Russian Blue and he's the biggest damn cat I've ever seen. He looks like a small panther. He weighs 25 pounds and is not fat. This cat is also smart as a whip, can open latch handled doors, and thinks its a dog. You should see the fangs and claws on this cat. I have little doubt he could kill me if he wanted to, luckily for me he's a huge wuss.
We had a Russian Blue in the 90's. He was tough as nails but was also one of the smallest cats we ever had....and we've had ALOT. At one time I lived in a house with 14 cats! And there were many after those. That was in my parents house. Haven't lived with them since '93. I dont have any cats right now but I'd love one or two. My parents were the cat hoarders not me! 😆 They are both pushing 80 and currently have just three. They came to their senses a little since then.

For almost a year, I've been describing Buddy as my wife's and my “unofficial second cat”.

A few days ago, we made it official. We took him to the vet, and got him “chipped” and registered to us. Also put in paperwork with our apartment complex to put him on our lease.

He's now officially our cat.

View attachment 772055
An adopted stray? I have one too named Tony the Tiger Cat

An adopted stray?

He adopted us.

We're pretty sure that he was once someone else's pet, who lived at this complex, but who moved away and abandoned him. After a few years as a sort of a semi-stray or community cat, last April, he suddenly decided that he's my wife's and my cat. He started hanging out mostly in our apartment, with us, at first for several hours each day, but by June, and since then, he's been with us nearly full time.

Up until very recently, he still insisted on going out for a few hours each day, usually in the late evening or early morning. We're pretty sure that during that time, he visits other people in other apartments. We very recently got a harness for him, and I set up a Facebook group for him, and put a tag on his harness directing people to that group. I was hoping, that way, to get in touch with whatever other people he associates with. However, since putting the harness on him, he is suddenly much less interested in going out.

ZSC_6471-DeNoiseAI-rawG2000x1236.jpg

Last edited:
They Always do.
People abandoning pets as though they're discarding an old toy always pisses me off. All of my cats come from that background

In December, a couple of black cats showed up on our patio, a mother and her baby. Again, both obviously had been abandoned. Both were housebroken, so they had obviously been someone's pets, even though the baby was still young enough to be nursing from the mother (and eating some solid food as well).

ZSC_4889-DeNoiseAI-rawG2000x1236.jpg

They ended up spending a few days with us, while my wife frantically, frustratingly tried to find a shelter for them, or a home, or anything. Four cats turns out to be just too many for our household, especially when they are unwilling to all get along. Allie (our other cat, who's been with us for eleven years), pissed off enough about Buddy having invaded her turf, was even more pissed off at two more intruders. Buddy wasn't so badly behaved, but he did make it clear that he wasn't happy about the two new intruders either. The mother cat was particularly aggressive toward Buddy, perhaps perceiving him as a threat to her baby.

My wife did eventually get put in touch with someone who had room to foster these cats. Some weeks later, we received word that the mother cat had been adopted out to a permanent homes; at that time, the baby cat was still too young to be spayed. We've never received word about the fate of the younger cat, but it's been some months, so she's probably been adopted out as well, by now.

If not for the two cats that we already had, my wife and I would have been happy to keep these two. The mother cat had a very sweet, loving personality toward my wife and me; the baby was rather shy, at first, but also became very sweet once she warmed up to us.

[Update: My wife just contacted the foster to inquire about the fate of the younger cat. She, now, also has been adopted out to a permanent home. Apparently, she got snapped up very quickly, once she was spayed and made available.]

Last edited:
In December, a couple of black cats showed up on our patio, a mother and her baby. Again, both obviously had been abandoned. Both were housebroken, so they had obviously been someone's pets, even though the baby was still young enough to be nursing from the mother (and eating some solid food as well).

View attachment 772093

They ended up spending a few days with us, while my wife frantically, frustratingly tried to find a shelter for them, or a home, or anything. Four cats turns out to be just too many for our household, especially when they are unwilling to all get along. Allie (our other cat, who's been with us for eleven years), pissed off enough about Buddy having invaded her turf, was even more pissed off at two more intruders. Buddy wasn't so badly behaved, but he did make it clear that he wasn't happy about the two new intruders either. The mother cat was particularly aggressive toward Buddy, perhaps perceiving him as a threat to her baby.

My wife did eventually get put in touch with someone who had room to foster these cats. Some weeks later, we received word that the mother cat had been adopted out to a permanent homes; at that time, the baby cat was still too young to be spayed. We've never received word about the fate of the younger cat, but it's been some months, so she's probably been adopted out as well, by now.

If not for the two cats that we already had, my wife and I would have been happy to keep these two. The mother cat had a very sweet, loving personality toward my wife and me; the baby was rather shy, at first, but also became very sweet once she warmed up to us.

[Update: My wife just contacted the foster to inquire about the fate of the younger cat. She, now, also has been adopted out to a permanent home. Apparently, she got snapped up very quickly, once she was spayed and made available.]
Your wife is a good woman. I can tell from here

Anybody who take on a pet may find themselves in circumstances beyond their control, but their responsibility as pet owners is to make sure these family members find good, stable homes.

Forum List

Back