Cat Lovers Thread

Your wife is a good woman. I can tell from here

Yes, she absolutely is.

ZSC_3888f.jpg

For almost a year, I've been describing Buddy as my wife's and my “unofficial second cat”.

A few days ago, we made it official. We took him to the vet, and got him “chipped” and registered to us. Also put in paperwork with our apartment complex to put him on our lease.

He's now officially our cat.

View attachment 772055

We've set up a Facebook group for Buddy, hoping to use it to get in touch with other people that he knows around our apartment complex. We've put a harness on him, with a tag directing people to this Facebook group. But with the harness on him, he seems to have become very disinterested in going out.

Yesterday, my wife put up a poster by the mailboxes, to direct anyone who knows Buddy to the Facebook group.

So far, no neighbors have yet found the Facebook group, but we did get a visit this afternoon from a lady who lives in the complex, who knows Buddy. She was very happy to see him, and he was very happy to see her.

She had this note for us, oddly dated tomorrow…

NoteAboutBuddyFromRegan20230402.jpg

So, last night, Buddy was out, roaming, and wondering where he might be, I noticed a cat-shaped silhouette on a wall about sixty feet away, that separates my apartment complex from a shopping center just to our north.

With the stock lens and built-in flash on my Nikon D3200, this was the best picture I could get. Not enough detail to identify the cat, though I did notice something hanging down from the neck that is consistent with a tag that Buddy now wears.

ZSC_6584g2000x1236.jpg

Digging out an ancient Sunpak auto 2000 DZ flash, much more powerful than my camera's built-in flash, I was able to get this. Now I can clearly see that it is an orange cat, wearing a black harness. Not absolutely definitive, but as far as I know, Buddy is the only orange cat nearby that now wears a black harness.
ZSC_6588-topaz-denoise-sharpenG2000x1236.jpg

So, I dug out my really, really ancient (as in late 1960s or early 1970s) Vivitar 85-20-5mm ƒ/3.8 zoom lens, and put that on my camera. Nikon, by the way, claims that non-AI lenses cannot be used on any DSLR except their DF model. My D3200, this Vivitar lens, and my two other ancient non-AI Nikkor lenses, very much disagree with Nikon on this point, as I have repeatedly used all thee of these lenses on my D3200 with no problem.

Anyway, with that combination—my D3200, my ancient Sunpak flash, and my really really ancient 85-205mm lens—I was able to get this picture. There's some heavy digital enhancement involved, here, and I cropped it in tightly. Alas, the cat himself is really not that well resolved, but now the name is clearly readable on his tag.

ZSC_6596-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen1000x1250-topaz-enhance_1200x1500.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cat that looks like this. Her name is Ginger

Not really are, but not terribly common, either. One odd factoid across which I've come is that 80% of orange tabby cats are male.

There is apparently a host of complex relationships between cat coat colors/patterns, and deeper genetic traits. Calico/Tortoiseshell cats, for example, are nearly always female, and those rare instances that are male usually have significant genetic defects. And white cats with blue eyes are usually deaf.

Forum List

Back