Breakfast Meats?

I like them...they have pork sausage too but I like the turkey better...and its better for you...precooked and delicious....they sold for under $4 until Biden became president now they are nearly $6 a package but worth it....

I try to keep my weekly grocery bill to between $100 and $125 a week. I decided to start eating healthier back in December, and it's a bit more expensive to do that, so hitting my preferred grocery total has become somewhat more challenging...

Bacon and Bob Evans breakfast sausage.

Sometimes I'll make sausage gravy and biscuits, but that can take a while to make. Usually in the morning I'm too hungry and impatient to wait that long for breakfast.
Try Libby's canned Country Sausage gravy and pillsbury biscuits--if you can find them. You can have biscuits and gravy in fifteen minutes. The gravy is pretty good.

Best omelet I EVER ate was at my favorite Greek restaurant and it was stuffed with a wonderful garlicky Greek sausage that I can't remember the name of and, of course, feta cheese.

Good gyro meat, seared on the grill, makes a damn fine omelet too.

Last edited:
Try Libby's canned Country Sausage gravy and pillsbury biscuits--if you can find them. You can have biscuits and gravy in fifteen minutes. The gravy is pretty good.
I'm so damn sick of food sensitivities! I just knew this thread was going to beat me up. :( I'd sell my grandma's right arm to be able to eat biscuits and sausage gravy again.

I'm so damn sick of food sensitivities! I just knew this thread was going to beat me up. :( I'd sell my grandma's right arm to be able to eat biscuits and sausage gravy again.
Sorry for you. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't have biscuits and gravy (rhetorical, I would muddle on some how). I have been fortunate to not have had allergies.

I've tried that before. That's not even close to my homemade biscuits and sausage gravy. And looking at the ingredients, you can see why. For example, In their gravy, instead of heavy cream and whole milk, they use soybean oil. WTF?

Last edited:
A somewhat new phenomenon for me, I now eat breakfast every morning. More often that not it's eggs: scrambled, an omelette, on a breakfast sammich, etc.

I'm one of those people, though, for which there's no clear favorite between bacon and sausage. Most people I know have a clear and unwavering preferenec. I'm just not one of those people. Bacon may be the candy of all meats, but sausage (even, believe it or not, Butterball turkey sausage) is a must-have, as well. An omelette with cheese, sausage and bacon is damn near breakfast heaven for me.

My Dad was always a big fan of Spam. I never saw the allure. He used to fry up liverwurst, too, which made the whole house stink.

Which is your "go to" breakfast meat or, like me, are you an equal opportunity breakfast meat fan?

Bacon, sausage, scrapple, ham steaks, chicken, sometimes freshly caught walleye, perch or rockfish. I've been known to make eggs over easy with salmon fillets.

Sausage or ham.

Unless we're talking about bagels with lox and cream cheese!

I've tried that before. That's not even close to my homemade biscuits and sausage gravy. And looking at the ingredients, you can see why. For example, In their gravy, instead of heavy cream and whole milk, they use soybean oil. WTF?
It tastes good, LOL. I mean it is not like you are on a healthy diet if you are eating biscuits and sausage gravy anyway.

I think you r cardiologist would disagree with you.
Of course I will never need a cardiologist in the first place because I've been studying nutritional science for decades and know how to take care of my body. Actually I used to be a professional nutritionist/personal trainer.

Can you name any unhealthy ingredients in sausage gravy and biscuits?

Actually, it's a very nutritious dish, especially if you have it with eggs and home fries like I usually do. It's a good healthy balanced meal.

Last edited:
Of course I will never need a cardiologist in the first place because I've been studying nutritional science for decades.

Can you name any unhealthy ingredients in sausage gravy and biscuits?

Actually it's a very nutritious dish.
Dangerous fats for one. I am sure that your home made gravy is well over the 30% fat content that is recommended by the American Heart Association.

Dangerous fats for one. I am sure that your home made gravy is well over the 30% fat content that is recommended by the American Heart Association.
Their dietary recommendations change all the time. And like all such organizations, they are corrupted. They were recommending artificial trans fats until recently. I was telling my clients that they were poison over 30 years ago. Now they've been banned in many countries.

I know much more about nutrition science than they do.

There's nothing dangerous about the fats in sausage gravy and biscuits.

Last edited:
The salty smoked country ham with bone-in. Fried so it's well cooked. Great with any type of breakfast. I use to have it with pancakes butter and sugarcane syrup.

They were recommending artificial trans fats until recently.
The AHA, AMA and the hospital where my bypass surgery was performed in 1994 have all recommended against any kind of trans fat or saturated fat since at least that time. For people with cardio-vascular disease, they also recommend a total fat intake of less than 25% of your diet. But, I really don't care what you want to eat, I am just making an observation. If I was concerned about it, I wouldn't eat it.

Forum List

Back