Black History Month..... Pros and Cons.

Are you here to contribute anything to celebrate Black history>? Famous Black Inventors

Black History Month is a time of year when everyone is reminded that the achievements and self confidence of black people are so low that they need to be reminded of those of the same skin color who have succeeded so as to feel better about their mediocrity when they are perfectly capable of success if only they abandon a culture which is largely holding them back. Black History Month encourages black failure by insisting that they rest on the achievements of other individuals. It encourages them to ascribe the achievements of other blacks to themselves instead of pursuing achievements of their own. It is a collective mindset that separates the races and encourages people to look at groups instead of individuals despite that it was individuals who achieved said success. It demands that blacks not be judged by their own individual actions but by the achievements of past blacks of their choosing. It is the most racist of ideas. Especially when you attribute inventions to African Americans who did not invent them. Indeed, I provided the names and patent #'s for all to see. Truth, reality, and sunshine is the best way to honor black history.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdeI9NfbfT8]Ayn Rand - Racism - YouTube[/ame]

That's an incorrect assertion and interpretation on your part. In my opinion, you are looking at it as an outsider (who though they may try to be objective at times) who is interpreting the so-called "Black History Month" with a biased point of view about Black people in general. People are not trying to "feel better about their mediocrity " when they cite the achievements of Black people who were left out of the history books in school and the only history they were taught about Black people is that they were slaves in America and that their African ancestors were something out of a Tarzan movie.

In my opinion, the purpose of "Black History Month" is to teach youngsters that there were people of their same ethnicity that achieved great things in this country under extreme adversity and if they could do that then, these people can do that now and surpass the achievements of the aforementioned people in an environment that is filled with opportunity and is not as adverse as it was when those people achieved their greatness.
Aren't you approaching the subject of "the Blacks" from a collectivist mindset instead of an individualist mindset?

How is that any different than what I said?

With respect to the "collectivist mindset," There are collectivist cultures and there are individualist cultures. That is the distinction. No, it can never embody everyone, but it can most.

Last edited:
Here's a list of other ethnic history months:
List of observances in the United States by presidential proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll add:

German American Heritage Month

Polish American Heritage Month is celebrated each year in October to commemorate the contributions to American society made by those of Polish descent.

Scottish American Heritage Month is celebrated in April.

https://www.slu.edu/cross-cultural-center/heritage-months-and-holidays

Publius, do you have the same feelings that you articulated about "the Blacks" and their history month, for the Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, people who have their history months? Why do some people want to solely attack Black History month and the people who celebrate it? :)

Here's another "pro" of the so-called Black History Month:

https://archive.org/details/as_a_man_thinketh_mc_librivox

I think that we should incorporate the achievements of Americans from every ethnicity, I also don't see the problem with people celebrating their heritage. I could give two shits if people wanted to advocate a "White History Month", I see nothing wrong with it, to each their own.

Those months aren't celebrated in the public schools and largely ignored because none of them really care. They don't need artificial pride because they are perfectly confident that they are able to make their own way in life.

Where did I mention anything about schools in my post? Some of those groups DO think it's important:

4 Ways to Celebrate Italian American Heritage Month | Sons of Italy Blog

German-American Day and October Observances

Polish American Heritage Month

Black History Month is a time of year when everyone is reminded that the achievements and self confidence of black people are so low that they need to be reminded of those of the same skin color who have succeeded so as to feel better about their mediocrity when they are perfectly capable of success if only they abandon a culture which is largely holding them back. Black History Month encourages black failure by insisting that they rest on the achievements of other individuals. It encourages them to ascribe the achievements of other blacks to themselves instead of pursuing achievements of their own. It is a collective mindset that separates the races and encourages people to look at groups instead of individuals despite that it was individuals who achieved said success. It demands that blacks not be judged by their own individual actions but by the achievements of past blacks of their choosing. It is the most racist of ideas. Especially when you attribute inventions to African Americans who did not invent them. Indeed, I provided the names and patent #'s for all to see. Truth, reality, and sunshine is the best way to honor black history.

Ayn Rand - Racism - YouTube

That's an incorrect assertion and interpretation on your part. In my opinion, you are looking at it as an outsider (who though they may try to be objective at times) who is interpreting the so-called "Black History Month" with a biased point of view about Black people in general. People are not trying to "feel better about their mediocrity " when they cite the achievements of Black people who were left out of the history books in school and the only history they were taught about Black people is that they were slaves in America and that their African ancestors were something out of a Tarzan movie.

In my opinion, the purpose of "Black History Month" is to teach youngsters that there were people of their same ethnicity that achieved great things in this country under extreme adversity and if they could do that then, these people can do that now and surpass the achievements of the aforementioned people in an environment that is filled with opportunity and is not as adverse as it was when those people achieved their greatness.
Aren't you approaching the subject of "the Blacks" from a collectivist mindset instead of an individualist mindset?

How is that any different than what I said?

With respect to the "collectivist mindset," There are collectivist cultures and there are individualist cultures. That is the distinction. No, it can never embody everyone, but it can most.

I was referring to individuals learning the achievements that other individuals accomplished before they came along. You seem to rail against "collectivism" yet you seem to embrace it when referring to certain groups of people. A poll you have about Liberals vs conservatives and the "alpha male" is an example.

Just once can people see that we are all individuals and skin color does not matter? Should we be judged by the color of our skin or the content of our character? Should we by judged be those who did great things while happening to share the same skin color? No, that just as ridiculous as judging an individual by those who did bad things who share the same skin color. Black history month is a farce and it does more to damage the black individual than to help him achieve on his own. That bit of knowledge is my gift to black history.

Black History month is not about judging people by the color of our skin. Instead it is about celebrating the achievements of a segment of our society.

As a society we make these arbitrary groupings all of the time. We celebrate Memorial Day and Veterans Day for the subset of people who served this nation. We celebrate Labor Day for the subset of people who dedicated themselves towards better working conditions.

There is no "judgement" involved in Black History month. It is a celebration of those who overcame adversity and achieved great things and in the process made this a better nation.

Wrong, it is a celebration of blacks who overcame adversity and achieved great things and in the process made this a better nation. The question is why? Can you answer this for me?

Memorial Day appeals to and celebrates all races
Veterans Day appeals to and celebrates all races.
Labor Day appeals to and celebrates all races.

I cannot say the same about black history month.

And why would anyone? Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Labor Day are LEGAL holidays. Black history month is to acknowledge the achievements of Black Americans. Just like National Hispanic Pride Month, and Asian Pacific Pride Month which do not celebrate ALL races either.

:confused:

I love morgan freeman. Such a wise man. But...I am still going to honor black history month.

Black History Month is a time of year when everyone is reminded that the achievements and self confidence of black people are so low that they need to be reminded of those of the same skin color who have succeeded so as to feel better about their mediocrity when they are perfectly capable of success if only they abandon a culture which is largely holding them back. Black History Month encourages black failure by insisting that they rest on the achievements of other individuals. It encourages them to ascribe the achievements of other blacks to themselves instead of pursuing achievements of their own. It is a collective mindset that separates the races and encourages people to look at groups instead of individuals despite that it was individuals who achieved said success. It demands that blacks not be judged by their own individual actions but by the achievements of past blacks of their choosing. It is the most racist of ideas. See below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdeI9NfbfT8]Ayn Rand - Racism - YouTube[/ame]

It's the same as every other month of the year in that it's one when you dance around saying what you really want to say because you lack the balls to be upfront and direct about it.

Move the needle on the record.

I don't get it. This doesn't hurt anyone, honoring those who did good things. So what if they are black? They are still our brothers and sisters. To me, anyway. And there is "bad" in every human being.

Just once, can't people be NICE?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s]Morgan Freeman on Black History Month - YouTube[/ame]

I don't get it. This doesn't hurt anyone, honoring those who did good things. So what if they are black? They are still our brothers and sisters. To me, anyway. And there is "bad" in every human being.

Just once, can't people be NICE?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s]Morgan Freeman on Black History Month - YouTube[/ame]

I've already posted this a number of times. Good luck getting them to listen.

[MENTION=27496]Publius1787[/MENTION]

Do you go to malls and yell at the kids that the santa sitting there is a fake?
Do you go to chuck e cheese and pop all the ballons because you don't like balloons?
Can you please take your schtick somewhere else and let us honor those we wish to honor?

He is not worth engaging, he is attempting to derail.

assata-shakur-nobody-in-the-world-nobody-in-history-has-ever-gotten-their-freedom-by-appealing-to-the-moral-sense-of-the-people-who-were-oppressing-them.jpg

Damn right and on point. Never let clowns dictate what you are and what you can be.

[MENTION=27496]Publius1787[/MENTION]

Do you go to malls and yell at the kids that the santa sitting there is a fake?
Do you go to chuck e cheese and pop all the ballons because you don't like balloons?
Can you please take your schtick somewhere else and let us honor those we wish to honor?

assata-shakur-nobody-in-the-world-nobody-in-history-has-ever-gotten-their-freedom-by-appealing-to-the-moral-sense-of-the-people-who-were-oppressing-them.jpg

Damn right and on point. Never let clowns dictate what you are and what you can be.

We have objective statistics for that. http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-relations-racism/335010-the-state-of-the-black-union.html

We have objective statistics for that. http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-relations-racism/335010-the-state-of-the-black-union.html

Your stats have already been debunked as fraudulent figments of your imagination.

That begs the easily answerable question: Where?

No, your not going to tell me are you?

Next post with no proof to back up such an accusation in 5, 4, 3, 2, ....

Last edited:

Your stats have already been debunked as fraudulent figments of your imagination.

In your thread. Do you mean where else? In several other threads you have attempted to use these stats as fodder for your type. Besides all of that, what do your stats have to do with my post?

Last edited:

In your thread. Do you mean where else? In several other threads you have attempted to use these stats as fodder for your type. Besides all of that, what do your stats have to do with my post?

Cant say I didn't call it.

Cant say I didn't call it.

Deflecting is not your strong suit. You need practice.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back