Black History Month..... Pros and Cons.

[MENTION=27496]Publius1787[/MENTION]

Do you go to malls and yell at the kids that the santa sitting there is a fake?
Do you go to chuck e cheese and pop all the ballons because you don't like balloons?
Can you please take your schtick somewhere else and let us honor those we wish to honor?

He is not worth engaging, he is attempting to derail.

I am on topic. I have not deviated from the parameters of the thread. Correcting falsehoods and engaging in the black history relevancy is in fact legitimate for a topic posted in Race Relations/Racism.

You are both off topic and deviating by introducing inflammatory rhetoric about "judging" based upon skin color.

I don't get it. This doesn't hurt anyone, honoring those who did good things. So what if they are black? They are still our brothers and sisters. To me, anyway. And there is "bad" in every human being.

Just once, can't people be NICE?

Just once can people see that we are all individuals and skin color does not matter? Should we be judged by the color of our skin or the content of our character? Should we by judged be those who did great things while happening to share the same skin color? No, that just as ridiculous as judging an individual by those who did bad things who share the same skin color. Black history month is a farce and it does more to damage the black individual than to help him achieve on his own. That bit of knowledge is my gift to black history.

Black History month is not about judging people by the color of our skin. Instead it is about celebrating the achievements of a segment of our society.

As a society we make these arbitrary groupings all of the time. We celebrate Memorial Day and Veterans Day for the subset of people who served this nation. We celebrate Labor Day for the subset of people who dedicated themselves towards better working conditions.

There is no "judgement" involved in Black History month. It is a celebration of those who overcame adversity and achieved great things and in the process made this a better nation.

Wrong, it is a celebration of blacks who overcame adversity and achieved great things and in the process made this a better nation. The question is why? Can you answer this for me?

Memorial Day appeals to and celebrates all races
Veterans Day appeals to and celebrates all races.
Labor Day appeals to and celebrates all races.

I cannot say the same about black history month.

Whatever. Do as you will.

This thread is as Derideo said. If you and those like you want to shit all over it, knock yourselves out. I will just step around the piles you sit in liking the stink.

I have not done anything in your thread that brings dishonor to anyone. Quite the opposite. Dishonor would be to attribute the achievements of one individual to another on the basis of skin color. Dishonor would be to tell blacks that they are so incompetent due to their skin color that they need to see the achievements of other blacks so as to raise their morale. That's what people in this thread have done. That's true dishonor.

Last edited:
Just once can people see that we are all individuals and skin color does not matter? Should we be judged by the color of our skin or the content of our character? Should we by judged be those who did great things while happening to share the same skin color? No, that just as ridiculous as judging an individual by those who did bad things who share the same skin color. Black history month is a farce and it does more to damage the black individual than to help him achieve on his own. That bit of knowledge is my gift to black history.

Black History month is not about judging people by the color of our skin. Instead it is about celebrating the achievements of a segment of our society.

As a society we make these arbitrary groupings all of the time. We celebrate Memorial Day and Veterans Day for the subset of people who served this nation. We celebrate Labor Day for the subset of people who dedicated themselves towards better working conditions.

There is no "judgement" involved in Black History month. It is a celebration of those who overcame adversity and achieved great things and in the process made this a better nation.

Wrong, it is a celebration of blacks who overcame adversity and achieved great things and in the process made this a better nation. The question is why? Can you answer this for me?

In which case you are simply :dig: your own hole here because you are obsessed about their skin color rather than the fact that there were people who were kidnapped and sold into slavery and have managed to overcome that and achieve great things.

I am on topic. I have not deviated from the parameters of the thread. Correcting falsehoods and engaging in the black history relevancy is in fact legitimate for a topic posted in Race Relations/Racism.

You are both off topic and deviating by introducing inflammatory rhetoric about "judging" based upon skin color.

Not really if you look I was just posting what I historical black inventors and quotes from famous black authors I love.

He really wants to derail. But I will just ignore him now.:cool:

Not really if you look I was just posting what I historical black inventors and quotes from famous black authors I love.

Mea culpa! The wording makes it appear as though I am including you in with Publius. Instead I was referring to "off topic" and "deviating" as "both" being what Publius was doing in this thread.

Mea culpa! The wording makes it appear as though I am including you in with Publius. Instead I was referring to "off topic" and "deviating" as "both" being what Publius was doing in this thread.

:lol:

I am just going to keep posting things as of interest as I come across it.

Have a great day:cool:

In which case you are simply :dig: your own hole here because you are obsessed about their skin color rather than the fact that there were people who were kidnapped and sold into slavery and have managed to overcome that and achieve great things.

Someone who is obsessed about skin color celebrates holidays around skin color. I did nothing of the sort.

What does slavery have to do with this conversation? Or was it an appeal to emotion fallacy? Sorry, I think with my head and not my heart, and therefore, such things do not work on me. You should try it sometime. In any case, slavery was an objective means, not an moral means, to fill a labor gap in the new world and maintain security and dominance in a hostile Europe.

Indeed, people achieve the most when they are under adversity. The black Jazz/Ragtime musicians were excellent because if they weren't they couldn't compete against a racist white society. The Tuskegee Airmen were excellent because if they weren't no one was going to properly utilize them in war time amid a racist military command. It is therefore not surprising that an individual can achieve greatness amid adversity. Indeed, adversity demanded it!

Black history month flies in the face of all those who have achieved. It does not honor them. Why? See here http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-...s-black-history-avie-month-5.html#post8478934

Last edited:

Someone who is obsessed about skin color celebrates holidays around skin color. I did nothing of the sort.

What does slavery have to do with this conversation? Or was it an appeal to emotion fallacy? In any case, slavery was an objective means, not an moral means, to fill a labor gap in the new world and maintain security and dominance in a hostile Europe.

Indeed, people achieve the most when they are under adversity. The black Jazz/Ragtime musicians were excellent because if they weren't they couldn't compete against a racist white society. The Tuskegee Airmen were excellent because if they weren't no one was going to properly utilize them in war time amid a racist military command. It is therefore not surprising that an individual can achieve greatness amid adversity. Indeed, adversity demanded it!

Black history month flies in the face of all those who have achieved. It does not honor them. Why? See here http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-...s-black-history-avie-month-5.html#post8478934

Now you have resorted to dissembling! Slavery was the start of the adversity that needed to be overcome. The disparaging and demeaning content of the post you linked to is evidence enough that you have an agenda that is at odds with the stated intent of the OP.

It is readily apparent that Drifter nailed it when he identified you as deliberately attempting to derail this thread and the OP has asked you to refrain.

If you persist in this vein then she will be within her rights to report your posts to the mods.

What does slavery have to do with this conversation? Or was it an appeal to emotion fallacy? In any case, slavery was an objective means, not an moral means, to fill a labor gap in the new world and maintain security and dominance in a hostile Europe.

Now you have resorted to dissembling! Slavery was the start of the adversity that needed to be overcome. The disparaging and demeaning content of the post you linked to is evidence enough that you have an agenda that is at odds with the stated intent of the OP.

It is readily apparent that Drifter nailed it when he identified you as deliberately attempting to derail this thread and the OP has asked you to refrain.

If you persist in this vein then she will be within her rights to report your posts to the mods.

Agreed, slavery needed to be overcome.

Please point to my disparaging and demeaning content and how it is disparaging and demeaning. Black History Month is disparaging and demeaning.

Never have I ever been accused of derailing a thread for staying on topic and telling the truth. Only with respect to black history month. Funny indeed. Exchanges of thought weed out the falsehoods. You want to weed out the truth.

She may report my posts to the mods at any time. We are in the race relations/racism forum (Not the History forum), the thread is about Black History Month, and I am exclusively addressing Black History Month. If it were in the History forum I would only address the historical inaccuracies unless prompted. Being in the Race Relations/Racism forum I can address the social ideas behind Black History month, especially when asked/prompted! But if you're going to attempt to have such a tight constraint on such a forum, then most here have already violated this thread.

Morgan Freedman said it best!

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed, slavery needed to be overcome.

Please point to my disparaging and demeaning content and how it is disparaging and demeaning. Black History Month is disparaging and demeaning.

Never have I ever been accused of derailing a thread for staying on topic and telling the truth. Only with respect to black history month. Funny indeed.

She may report my posts to the mods at any time. We are in the race relations/racism forum (Not the History forum), the thread is about Black History Month, and I am exclusively addressing Black History Month. If it were in the History forum I would only address the historical inaccuracies unless prompted. Being in the Race Relations/Racism forum I can address the social ideas behind Black History month. But if you're going to attempt to have such a tight constraint on such a forum, then most here have already violated this thread.

You are in violation of this part of the OP!

AND PLEASE don't make it a flame thread if you have a problem with Blacks.
Thanks in advance.

Your judgmental posts have already demonstrated that you do have a "problem with Blacks". You can chose to deny that if you will but it will be the mods who will read your posts and make the final call, not me!

Race Relations is Zone 2 guys so posts, including flames, need to have some content related to the topic at hand. So let's get back on topic which "Black History Month" and includes both positive and negative aspects :)

Thank you, hon, for starting this thread. Maybe those who have a problem with BHM can discuss it here instead of my thread, or TK's thread.

Soon as I can, i will send some thank you rep.:smiliehug:

What does slavery have to do with this conversation? Or was it an appeal to emotion fallacy? Sorry, I think with my head and not my heart, and therefore, such things do not work on me. You should try it sometime. In any case, slavery was an objective means, not an moral means, to fill a labor gap in the new world and maintain security and dominance in a hostile Europe.

You make a very good point here and I agree with what said about adversity.

However, I do think Black History Month is important because historically "black history" has been and still is ignored in the majority society which focus' on the majority history of white American males.

You make a very good point here and I agree with what said about adversity.

However, I do think Black History Month is important because historically "black history" has been and still is ignored in the majority society which focus' on the majority history of white American males.

So what? If they happen to be white then let it be. Naturally, more historical achievements in the US have been made by whites than blacks both before and since the 1860's due to numbers alone. But why celebrate someone's achievement within the context of their skin? Why must we section off a whole block of people? I can only think of one reason and I have already stated it well.

Black History Month is a time of year when everyone is reminded that the achievements and self confidence of black people are so low that they need to be reminded of those of the same skin color who have succeeded so as to feel better about their mediocrity when they are perfectly capable of success if only they abandon a culture which is largely holding them back. Black History Month encourages black failure by insisting that they rest on the achievements of other individuals. It encourages them to ascribe the achievements of other blacks to themselves instead of pursuing achievements of their own. It is a collective mindset that separates the races and encourages people to look at groups instead of individuals despite that it was individuals who achieved said success. It demands that blacks not be judged by their own individual actions but by the achievements of past blacks of their choosing. It is the most racist of ideas. Especially when you attribute inventions to African Americans who did not invent them. Indeed, I provided the names and patent #'s for all to see. Truth, reality, and sunshine is the best way to honor black history.

Last edited:

Black History Month is a time of year when everyone is reminded that the achievements and self confidence of black people are so low that they need to be reminded of those of the same skin color who have succeeded so as to feel better about their mediocrity when they are perfectly capable of success if only they abandon a culture which is largely holding them back. Black History Month encourages black failure by insisting that they rest on the achievements of other individuals. It encourages them to ascribe the achievements of other blacks to themselves instead of pursuing achievements of their own. It is a collective mindset that separates the races and encourages people to look at groups instead of individuals despite that it was individuals who achieved said success. It demands that blacks not be judged by their own individual actions but by the achievements of past blacks of their choosing. It is the most racist of ideas. Especially when you attribute inventions to African Americans who did not invent them. Indeed, I provided the names and patent #'s for all to see. Truth, reality, and sunshine is the best way to honor black history.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdeI9NfbfT8]Ayn Rand - Racism - YouTube[/ame]

That's an incorrect assertion and interpretation on your part. In my opinion, you are looking at it as an outsider (who though they may try to be objective at times) who is interpreting the so-called "Black History Month" with a biased point of view about Black people in general. People are not trying to "feel better about their mediocrity " when they cite the achievements of Black people who were left out of the history books in school and the only history they were taught about Black people is that they were slaves in America and that their African ancestors were something out of a Tarzan movie.

In my opinion, the purpose of "Black History Month" is to teach youngsters that there were people of their same ethnicity that achieved great things in this country under extreme adversity and if they could do that then, these people can do that now and surpass the achievements of the aforementioned people in an environment that is filled with opportunity and is not as adverse as it was when those people achieved their greatness.

Aren't you approaching the subject of "the Blacks" from a collectivist mindset instead of an individualist mindset?

Here's a list of other ethnic history months:
List of observances in the United States by presidential proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll add:

German American Heritage Month

Polish American Heritage Month is celebrated each year in October to commemorate the contributions to American society made by those of Polish descent.

Scottish American Heritage Month is celebrated in April.

https://www.slu.edu/cross-cultural-center/heritage-months-and-holidays

Publius, do you have the same feelings that you articulated about "the Blacks" and their history month, for the Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, people who have their history months? Why do some people want to solely attack Black History month and the people who celebrate it? :)

Here's another "pro" of the so-called Black History Month:

https://archive.org/details/as_a_man_thinketh_mc_librivox

I think that we should incorporate the achievements of Americans from every ethnicity, I also don't see the problem with people celebrating their heritage. I could give two shits if people wanted to advocate a "White History Month", I see nothing wrong with it, to each their own.

Last edited:

Do you go to chuck e cheese and pop all the ballons because you don't like balloons?
Can you please take your schtick somewhere else and let us honor those we wish to honor?

assata-shakur-nobody-in-the-world-nobody-in-history-has-ever-gotten-their-freedom-by-appealing-to-the-moral-sense-of-the-people-who-were-oppressing-them.jpg

Precisely.

Here's a list of other ethnic history months:
List of observances in the United States by presidential proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll add:

German American Heritage Month

Polish American Heritage Month is celebrated each year in October to commemorate the contributions to American society made by those of Polish descent.

Scottish American Heritage Month is celebrated in April.

https://www.slu.edu/cross-cultural-center/heritage-months-and-holidays

Publius, do you have the same feelings that you articulated about "the Blacks" and their history month, for the Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, people who have their history months? Why do some people want to solely attack Black History month and the people who celebrate it? :)

Here's another "pro" of the so-called Black History Month:

https://archive.org/details/as_a_man_thinketh_mc_librivox

I think that we should incorporate the achievements of Americans from every ethnicity, I also don't see the problem with people celebrating their heritage. I could give two shits if people wanted to advocate a "White History Month", I see nothing wrong with it, to each their own.

Those months aren't celebrated in the public schools and largely ignored because none of them really care. They don't need artificial pride because they are perfectly confident that they are able to make their own way in life.

Last edited:

Precisely.

I don't suppose I could request an explanation?

Forum List

Back