Black fathers: shattering stereotypes.

I posted on the Dad stereotype. IM2 posted on the Dad stereotype. Eventually, it will become common knowledge.

And you believe that lie?

70% of black children are born to unmarried black women

That doesn't mean that the father is not in the same household or an equal participant in the child's life.

Actually, I now see it as not the exception. I am sure you too are heavily invested in your stereotypes, including I suspect this one.
What stereotypes?
I grew up in the hood and many of my co-workers are minorities and great people.
Your stereotype is that people who aren't bleeding hearts are racists; what does that say about you?

In 2014-18, the share of families headed by single parents was 75% among African American families, 58% among Hispanic families, 37% among white families and 21% among Asian families.

Jews = 13% mostly due to divorce or widows.

lower the percentage higher the success of the kids and lower the crime rate among the group. Coincidence?

That doesn't mean that the father is not in the same household or an equal participant in the child's life.
I think it does mean man the father has gone on to pollinate other single moms

and there is really nothing to stop him since without him the woman gets welfare

Sometimes stereotypes are so pervasive, you never think to question them, this is one.

A dad posted joyful photos of black fathers to shatter stereotypes. It became a movement.

Sean Williams’s life changed four years ago at his local grocery store in Long Island.

Williams, a 37-year-old black man and father of three, was running errands with his youngest daughter when a white woman approached him.

She wanted to commend him for “sticking around,” he said.

This wasn’t the first time Williams received this type of comment. In his predominantly white neighborhood, the stay-at-home dad recalled getting frequent praise from neighbors, who applauded him for being an involved black father.

Williams knew why people were congratulating him: They were perpetuating the racist and pervasive myth of the “missing black father,” which purports that black fathers are too often absent from their children’s lives.

“I spoke with my friends who are all active black dads and asked them if they had similar experiences,” Williams said. “The answer was yes.”

After the grocery store incident, Williams made it his mission to shatter a stereotype that he knew was baseless.

Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the majority of black fathers do, in fact, live with their children. The same study also showed that black fathers are more likely to feed, bathe, diaper, dress and play with their children on a daily basis than their white and Hispanic counterparts.

Williams aimed to debunk the misconception of black fatherhood by creating an initiative called The Dad Gang.

He began by posting photos of him and his kids, now ages 15, 4 and 3, on social media. Then he started posting photos of other black fathers he knew.

It started as an Instagram page, with the goal of focusing exclusively on positive stories, images and videos of active black dads,” Williams said. “I wanted to showcase the reality of black fatherhood and rewrite the narrative.”

Over the past year, The Dad Gang grew from merely a digital platform to a sprawling community of fathers across the country.

Last June, Williams organized a “Strollin’ with the Homies” event in New York City, where more than 100 dads came together with their kids for a group walk.

View attachment 353169
Haha....that’s awesome....An image showing eight presumably legitimate black fathers and the stereotype is “shattered” and a “movement” is underway....
Wacko Libs always allow the .2 percentile to speak for the 99.8%...hahahahahahaha
FACINATING!

Coyote, I know your attempt with this thread is positive. Black fathers who are actively supporting and taking care of their children is a good thing. But when over 70% do not support or take care of their children it is not a stereotype. It is fact.

How accurate is that “70%” figure? I believe that was originally the number of black fathers not living in a marital relationship with their children. That is not the same as saying they do not support or take care of their children.

This viewpoint about black fatherhood is a well-established structure of thought, with a host of supporting beliefs that reinforce it like rebar in a concrete slab: society is devastated because the majority of African American fathers are not at home nor involved in the lives of their children. The solution, therefore, is for black men to return to their responsibilities. These statements are stereotypes, fabrications and completely wrong. And the impact of these thoughts is girded in the foundations of American society, from systems of education, to access to employment, to incarceration.

Fatherlessness is not defined by living arrangement. Josh Levs’s article, “No, Most Black Kids are not Fatherless” deconstructs the “70% of black children are fatherless” myth. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report, “Fathers’ Involvement with Their Children” (yes, the CDC tracks data & researches topics like this), verify that the majority of black fathers actually live with their children (2.5 million versus 1.7 million who don’t). Furthermore, whether living in the same home or not, black fathers are the most involved of all primary recorded race and ethnic groups.

Many fatherlessness statistics utilize marital and housing statuses as cornerstone metrics, resulting in highly inflated figures. These stats do not account for the fact that men have died or passed away, couples may live together while unmarried, couples may be divorced, and, let’s not forget, that, due to the system of incarceration, men are not only separated from their families but often even prevented from staying in the homes with their families if the housing is federally provided. The New York Times’ 2015 analysis, “1.5 Million Missing Black Men,” gave credence to this shocking reality, presenting loud and clear how our country’s mass incarceration industrial complex has claimed more men than were enslaved in 1850. Statistics about white males with a nearly 40% divorce rate, and significant numbers choosing to have and/or adopt children independently, are entirely immune to the views levied upon African Americans.

Stereotypes are powerful and pervasive. I never questioned this one either.

There is more to the "stereotype" than just this.

In Wyandotte County, Kansas 60% of all births around 2010 were to unwed mothers.

90% of those unwed mothers were black.

I give credit to any father who hangs around. There are lot of deadbeat white dads.

But a lot of black children simply don't have a father.

CHristine Whtman got in trouble a long time ago for exposing something nobody wanted to hear.

Like it or not, it was real. People just didn't want it brought out.

In 2014-18, the share of families headed by single parents was 75% among African American families, 58% among Hispanic families, 37% among white families and 21% among Asian families.

Jews = 13% mostly due to divorce or widows.

lower the percentage higher the success of the kids and lower the crime rate among the group. Coincidence?

On Dec 13, 2013 the share of families headed by single parents was 75.01% among African American families.
You see. the Black family unit got stronger starting in 2014!

Sometimes stereotypes are so pervasive, you never think to question them, this is one.

A dad posted joyful photos of black fathers to shatter stereotypes. It became a movement.

Sean Williams’s life changed four years ago at his local grocery store in Long Island.

Williams, a 37-year-old black man and father of three, was running errands with his youngest daughter when a white woman approached him.

This wasn’t the first time Williams received this type of comment. In his predominantly white neighborhood, the stay-at-home dad recalled getting frequent praise from neighbors, who applauded him for being an involved black father.

Williams knew why people were congratulating him: They were perpetuating the racist and pervasive myth of the “missing black father,” which purports that black fathers are too often absent from their children’s lives.

“I spoke with my friends who are all active black dads and asked them if they had similar experiences,” Williams said. “The answer was yes.”

After the grocery store incident, Williams made it his mission to shatter a stereotype that he knew was baseless.

Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the majority of black fathers do, in fact, live with their children. The same study also showed that black fathers are more likely to feed, bathe, diaper, dress and play with their children on a daily basis than their white and Hispanic counterparts.

Williams aimed to debunk the misconception of black fatherhood by creating an initiative called The Dad Gang.

He began by posting photos of him and his kids, now ages 15, 4 and 3, on social media. Then he started posting photos of other black fathers he knew.

It started as an Instagram page, with the goal of focusing exclusively on positive stories, images and videos of active black dads,” Williams said. “I wanted to showcase the reality of black fatherhood and rewrite the narrative.”

Over the past year, The Dad Gang grew from merely a digital platform to a sprawling community of fathers across the country.

Last June, Williams organized a “Strollin’ with the Homies” event in New York City, where more than 100 dads came together with their kids for a group walk.

View attachment 353169
Wow,, 100 in all of new york city. Wow, what proof you got there. Gimme a break babys mama.

View attachment 353169

Now that is a movement I can support.

Black fathers matter.

And we know;

{
77% black births to single moms, 49% for Hispanic immigrants
}

How accurate is that “70%” figure? I believe that was originally the number of black fathers not living in a marital relationship with their children. That is not the same as saying they do not support or take care of their children.

This viewpoint about black fatherhood is a well-established structure of thought, with a host of supporting beliefs that reinforce it like rebar in a concrete slab: society is devastated because the majority of African American fathers are not at home nor involved in the lives of their children. The solution, therefore, is for black men to return to their responsibilities. These statements are stereotypes, fabrications and completely wrong. And the impact of these thoughts is girded in the foundations of American society, from systems of education, to access to employment, to incarceration.

Fatherlessness is not defined by living arrangement. Josh Levs’s article, “No, Most Black Kids are not Fatherless” deconstructs the “70% of black children are fatherless” myth. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report, “Fathers’ Involvement with Their Children” (yes, the CDC tracks data & researches topics like this), verify that the majority of black fathers actually live with their children (2.5 million versus 1.7 million who don’t). Furthermore, whether living in the same home or not, black fathers are the most involved of all primary recorded race and ethnic groups.

Many fatherlessness statistics utilize marital and housing statuses as cornerstone metrics, resulting in highly inflated figures. These stats do not account for the fact that men have died or passed away, couples may live together while unmarried, couples may be divorced, and, let’s not forget, that, due to the system of incarceration, men are not only separated from their families but often even prevented from staying in the homes with their families if the housing is federally provided. The New York Times’ 2015 analysis, “1.5 Million Missing Black Men,” gave credence to this shocking reality, presenting loud and clear how our country’s mass incarceration industrial complex has claimed more men than were enslaved in 1850. Statistics about white males with a nearly 40% divorce rate, and significant numbers choosing to have and/or adopt children independently, are entirely immune to the views levied upon African Americans.

let’s not forget, that, due to the system of incarceration, men are not only separated from their families but often even prevented from staying in the homes with their families if the housing is federally provided.

Exactly!!

They aren't deadbeat, absent fathers, they're currently or formerly incarcerated.
Glad we can stop slandering them.

Forum List

Back