Black fathers: shattering stereotypes.

In 2014-18, the share of families headed by single parents was 75% among African American families, 58% among Hispanic families, 37% among white families and 21% among Asian families.

Jews = 13% mostly due to divorce or widows.

lower the percentage higher the success of the kids and lower the crime rate among the group. Coincidence?

A statistic showing the number of families headed by a single parent doesn‘t show for example:
whether the parents are living in an unmarried relationship.
whether or not the father is involved or providing support

Can you show me where you got that number from?
I got the number from memory but confirmed it here after you asked

Of course you would see it that way.

I support black fathers raising their children. I support them showing that they are heading intact families.

But that is in contrast to the overwhelming majority that don't raise their own children.

77% of black children grow up without their biological father living in their home.

A statistic showing the number of families headed by a single parent doesn‘t show for example:
I disagree 100%. If you go from the lowest to the highest % you ll see success moving toward failure. You believe that to be a coincidence?

What a fail of a thread ! Op must be an obama voter.

My guess is that middle class blacks are as out of the loop as middle class whites.

And I would also guess middle class black men are great fathers.

Middle class gays make great dads too.

Blacks and Hispanics are more devoted to family than many whites.

But there's a gap there when it comes to young blacks.

Why are Jews and Asians the most successful people in the US? How do you explain that? Racism?

Sometimes stereotypes are so pervasive, you never think to question them, this is one.

A dad posted joyful photos of black fathers to shatter stereotypes. It became a movement.

Sean Williams’s life changed four years ago at his local grocery store in Long Island.

Williams, a 37-year-old black man and father of three, was running errands with his youngest daughter when a white woman approached him.

She wanted to commend him for “sticking around,” he said.

This wasn’t the first time Williams received this type of comment. In his predominantly white neighborhood, the stay-at-home dad recalled getting frequent praise from neighbors, who applauded him for being an involved black father.

Williams knew why people were congratulating him: They were perpetuating the racist and pervasive myth of the “missing black father,” which purports that black fathers are too often absent from their children’s lives.

“I spoke with my friends who are all active black dads and asked them if they had similar experiences,” Williams said. “The answer was yes.”

After the grocery store incident, Williams made it his mission to shatter a stereotype that he knew was baseless.

Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the majority of black fathers do, in fact, live with their children. The same study also showed that black fathers are more likely to feed, bathe, diaper, dress and play with their children on a daily basis than their white and Hispanic counterparts.

Williams aimed to debunk the misconception of black fatherhood by creating an initiative called The Dad Gang.

He began by posting photos of him and his kids, now ages 15, 4 and 3, on social media. Then he started posting photos of other black fathers he knew.

It started as an Instagram page, with the goal of focusing exclusively on positive stories, images and videos of active black dads,” Williams said. “I wanted to showcase the reality of black fatherhood and rewrite the narrative.”

Over the past year, The Dad Gang grew from merely a digital platform to a sprawling community of fathers across the country.

Last June, Williams organized a “Strollin’ with the Homies” event in New York City, where more than 100 dads came together with their kids for a group walk.

View attachment 353169
Blacks have the highest rates of single motherhood. It’s not a myth.

Yet you all push this narrative that all police are racists.

I think it does mean man the father has gone on to pollinate other single moms

and there is really nothing to stop him since without him the woman gets welfare

It's the way they collect stats.

There is more to the "stereotype" than just this.

In Wyandotte County, Kansas 60% of all births around 2010 were to unwed mothers.

90% of those unwed mothers were black.

I give credit to any father who hangs around. There are lot of deadbeat white dads.

But a lot of black children simply don't have a father.

CHristine Whtman got in trouble a long time ago for exposing something nobody wanted to hear.

Like it or not, it was real. People just didn't want it brought out.

But conclusions from that statistic that aren’t there. That stat only shows exactly what it says yet people are taking it and automatically assuming:

black father’s are less involved than non black fathers
black fathers are, by choice, not supporting their kids in greater numbers than non black fathers
black fathers aren’t living in committed non marital relationships

Do you have any data that actually supports those assumptions?

Blacks have the highest rates of single motherhood. It’s not a myth.

Yet you all push this narrative that all police are racists.

No. But that is not the stereotype we are talking about either.

No. But that is not the stereotype we are talking about either.

That is the point.....

You need to be very clear about what is being said.

The study constant refers to "fathers who live with children".

It does not seem to say anthing about about the scads of kids who have no father.

Sometimes stereotypes are so pervasive, you never think to question them, this is one.

A dad posted joyful photos of black fathers to shatter stereotypes. It became a movement.

Sean Williams’s life changed four years ago at his local grocery store in Long Island.

Williams, a 37-year-old black man and father of three, was running errands with his youngest daughter when a white woman approached him.

She wanted to commend him for “sticking around,” he said.

This wasn’t the first time Williams received this type of comment. In his predominantly white neighborhood, the stay-at-home dad recalled getting frequent praise from neighbors, who applauded him for being an involved black father.

Williams knew why people were congratulating him: They were perpetuating the racist and pervasive myth of the “missing black father,” which purports that black fathers are too often absent from their children’s lives.

“I spoke with my friends who are all active black dads and asked them if they had similar experiences,” Williams said. “The answer was yes.”

After the grocery store incident, Williams made it his mission to shatter a stereotype that he knew was baseless.

Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the majority of black fathers do, in fact, live with their children. The same study also showed that black fathers are more likely to feed, bathe, diaper, dress and play with their children on a daily basis than their white and Hispanic counterparts.

Williams aimed to debunk the misconception of black fatherhood by creating an initiative called The Dad Gang.

He began by posting photos of him and his kids, now ages 15, 4 and 3, on social media. Then he started posting photos of other black fathers he knew.

It started as an Instagram page, with the goal of focusing exclusively on positive stories, images and videos of active black dads,” Williams said. “I wanted to showcase the reality of black fatherhood and rewrite the narrative.”

Over the past year, The Dad Gang grew from merely a digital platform to a sprawling community of fathers across the country.

Last June, Williams organized a “Strollin’ with the Homies” event in New York City, where more than 100 dads came together with their kids for a group walk.

View attachment 353169
Pervasive myth of absent Black Dads? Try looking up any statistics on the subject of Single Black Moms and then report back on what you find. Clearly you have ignored the data. The range is 65%-75% of Black children do not have a Father in the picture.

Coyote, I know your attempt with this thread is positive. Black fathers who are actively supporting and taking care of their children is a good thing. But when over 70% do not support or take care of their children it is not a stereotype. It is fact.
Except your over 70 percent statement is untrue.

Single moms have boyfriends, and they cohabitate.

....AND they praise black '''fathers''' who are criminals!!!! Floyd's daughter is PROUD of her criminal father...so the self destructive cycle continues

The epidemic of absent black fathers in today’s society is vastly increasing and getting worst and worst. According to 2011 U.S. Census, over 24 million children live inside of a fatherless home. Now let’s break it down and divide the pie into the different races in America. 1 in 3 (34%) Hispanic children live in father-absent homes, and 1 in 4 (25%) white children also live in father-absent homes, while nearly 2 in 3 (64%) African American children live in father-absent homes. Anyone see anything wrong with those numbers?

According to the National Fatherhood Initiative, children who live in a fatherless home are, on average, at least two to three times more likely to be poor, to use drugs, to experience educational, health, emotional and behavioral problems, to be victims of child abuse, and to engage in criminal behavior than their peers who live with their married, biological (or adoptive) parents.

I sincerely hope The Dad Gang thing catches on, I really do. Got my doubts however, about that NCHS study, I wonder if they interviewed people in the lowest income brackets or others with middle and upper incomes.

This shit gets old.

Single moms have boyfriends, and they cohabitate.
..then why do blacks commit crimes at much higher rates and graduate at lower rates??
--don't tell me-I know----it's whitey's fault

Forum List

Back