Black fathers: shattering stereotypes.

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Sometimes stereotypes are so pervasive, you never think to question them, this is one.

A dad posted joyful photos of black fathers to shatter stereotypes. It became a movement.

Sean Williams’s life changed four years ago at his local grocery store in Long Island.

Williams, a 37-year-old black man and father of three, was running errands with his youngest daughter when a white woman approached him.

She wanted to commend him for “sticking around,” he said.

This wasn’t the first time Williams received this type of comment. In his predominantly white neighborhood, the stay-at-home dad recalled getting frequent praise from neighbors, who applauded him for being an involved black father.

Williams knew why people were congratulating him: They were perpetuating the racist and pervasive myth of the “missing black father,” which purports that black fathers are too often absent from their children’s lives.

“I spoke with my friends who are all active black dads and asked them if they had similar experiences,” Williams said. “The answer was yes.”

After the grocery store incident, Williams made it his mission to shatter a stereotype that he knew was baseless.

Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the majority of black fathers do, in fact, live with their children. The same study also showed that black fathers are more likely to feed, bathe, diaper, dress and play with their children on a daily basis than their white and Hispanic counterparts.

Williams aimed to debunk the misconception of black fatherhood by creating an initiative called The Dad Gang.

He began by posting photos of him and his kids, now ages 15, 4 and 3, on social media. Then he started posting photos of other black fathers he knew.

It started as an Instagram page, with the goal of focusing exclusively on positive stories, images and videos of active black dads,” Williams said. “I wanted to showcase the reality of black fatherhood and rewrite the narrative.”

Over the past year, The Dad Gang grew from merely a digital platform to a sprawling community of fathers across the country.

Last June, Williams organized a “Strollin’ with the Homies” event in New York City, where more than 100 dads came together with their kids for a group walk.

C59AFE8E-77EB-41AE-A430-8302A153E86F.jpeg

..the biggest lies and stereotypes are:
ALL whites are RACIST/MURDER blacks/WHITE cops murder blacks/etc--
..going along with that are the myths that blacks are PERFECT..they don't murder whites or commit hate crimes

....well, something is undeniably wrong with blacks since they commit crime at higher rates --and graduate at lower rates =NOT stereotypes, but facts

Sometimes stereotypes are so pervasive, you never think to question them, this is one.

A dad posted joyful photos of black fathers to shatter stereotypes. It became a movement.

Sean Williams’s life changed four years ago at his local grocery store in Long Island.

Williams, a 37-year-old black man and father of three, was running errands with his youngest daughter when a white woman approached him.

This wasn’t the first time Williams received this type of comment. In his predominantly white neighborhood, the stay-at-home dad recalled getting frequent praise from neighbors, who applauded him for being an involved black father.

Williams knew why people were congratulating him: They were perpetuating the racist and pervasive myth of the “missing black father,” which purports that black fathers are too often absent from their children’s lives.

“I spoke with my friends who are all active black dads and asked them if they had similar experiences,” Williams said. “The answer was yes.”

After the grocery store incident, Williams made it his mission to shatter a stereotype that he knew was baseless.

Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the majority of black fathers do, in fact, live with their children. The same study also showed that black fathers are more likely to feed, bathe, diaper, dress and play with their children on a daily basis than their white and Hispanic counterparts.

Williams aimed to debunk the misconception of black fatherhood by creating an initiative called The Dad Gang.

He began by posting photos of him and his kids, now ages 15, 4 and 3, on social media. Then he started posting photos of other black fathers he knew.

It started as an Instagram page, with the goal of focusing exclusively on positive stories, images and videos of active black dads,” Williams said. “I wanted to showcase the reality of black fatherhood and rewrite the narrative.”

Over the past year, The Dad Gang grew from merely a digital platform to a sprawling community of fathers across the country.

Last June, Williams organized a “Strollin’ with the Homies” event in New York City, where more than 100 dads came together with their kids for a group walk.

View attachment 353169

This is positive. But yet it is also sad such a thread is necessary,

Stereotypes are powerful and pervasive. I never questioned this one either.

Coyote, I know your attempt with this thread is positive. Black fathers who are actively supporting and taking care of their children is a good thing. But when over 70% do not support or take care of their children it is not a stereotype. It is fact.

View attachment 353169
Stereotypes are pervasive because of the element of truth which creates them.

So you acknowledge there is truth to the stereotype?

It's too bad Biden and the Clintons put so many fathers in prison for drug possession.

Many stereotypes incorporate a grain of truth, but that doesn’t make them true. Agree on the war on drugs crap.

View attachment 353169
1592755113011.png

And of course you would see Black fathers being fathers as an exception.
Actually, I now see it as not the exception. I am sure you too are heavily invested in your stereotypes, including I suspect this one.

The epidemic of absent black fathers in today’s society is vastly increasing and getting worst and worst. According to 2011 U.S. Census, over 24 million children live inside of a fatherless home. Now let’s break it down and divide the pie into the different races in America. 1 in 3 (34%) Hispanic children live in father-absent homes, and 1 in 4 (25%) white children also live in father-absent homes, while nearly 2 in 3 (64%) African American children live in father-absent homes. Anyone see anything wrong with those numbers?

According to the National Fatherhood Initiative, children who live in a fatherless home are, on average, at least two to three times more likely to be poor, to use drugs, to experience educational, health, emotional and behavioral problems, to be victims of child abuse, and to engage in criminal behavior than their peers who live with their married, biological (or adoptive) parents.

I sincerely hope The Dad Gang thing catches on, I really do. Got my doubts however, about that NCHS study, I wonder if they interviewed people in the lowest income brackets or others with middle and upper incomes.

And you believe that lie?

70% of black children are born to unmarried black women

Forum List

Back