Biden stabs rail workers in the back

I don't know how this qualifies as a "stab in the back" to the railroad employees.

My guess is that most of them don't want to strike- and even if they did, Sleepy Joe doesn't owe them anything. It isn't like he is "betraying" them in any way.
Nobody wants to strike ever. Workers lose pay when they are on strike. All strikes are a failure of management.

Some companies actually care about the welfare of their employees.
i worked the Post Office and they had nothing to do with that....the Union got us that because as they put it...we work in some pretty shitty weather,back and knee injuries are fairly common and dog bites are a factor too.....3-4 days dont cover those.....

There is already a trucking driver shortage, especially amongst the long haul truckers that would be needed to fill these roles.

Rail work is hard work, but it is well paid work. Short of making trains that carry people's families with them at all times, or making the railroads crew trains in a zone system, probably increasing the needed employees (and costs) exponentially, there is nothing really to be done to make it easier.

They also have worker issues, as not many people want to work in jobs like this. They compete with commuter and subway rail jobs that have the benefit of being able to go home at the end of a shift.

Everyone ignores that 8 of the 12 unions ratified these agreements.
But how much is well paid, when you give up your life outside of work, and give up any time with your family?

This is a disgraceful action by a US president.Reminiscent of that awful Reagan.
America needs a decent leadership that supports the working man and woman.
If railways are so important then pay them.
Fuck those money grubbing assholes. This is one of the few good things Biden has EVER done.

I get 13 weeks at full pay and another 13 at half pay. That is pretty standard over here How do you cope if you break a leg or have an operation ?
7 days doesnt seem unreasonable. I wouldnt want to ride a train with a sick driver.
Sick pay and disability are two different things. When I worked for ATT, we got NO excused sick days. As a practical matter, you could take off for up to four consecutive days three times in a year without repercussions. If you went over four days, you went into State Disability. That was essentially unlimited, but the company would only make up the difference between the disability money and your actual salary for between six months and two years depending on your seniority. Once you went into disability, you needed a doctor's note authorizing the absence. The amusing thing is that the disability money wasn't taxable, and you paid less taxes on your reduced salary, so people almost always made more than their normal take home pay while on disability.

wouldnt you know those things going in?.....
Yeah, I would guess they all did....but now, after decades, they reached the HAD ENOUGH stage....at least some of them have....and they too like Truckers, are hard positions to get filled.

The strike would have worked under normal circumstance, but the trucking companies have piles of stimulus money piled up, and can withstand a long strike, without much hurt.

i worked the Post Office and they had nothing to do with that....the Union got us that because as they put it...we work in some pretty shitty weather,back and knee injuries are fairly common and dog bites are a factor too.....3-4 days dont cover those.....
The pandemic showed us how unequal society has become. Large parts of the population cant work from home and that should be reflected in their pay..

If a hedge fund manager or a marketing exec cant work who cares ? If my train driver or postie doesnt show up we are all fucked.

Sick pay and disability are two different things. When I worked for ATT, we got NO excused sick days. As a practical matter, you could take off for up to four consecutive days three times in a year without repercussions. If you went over four days, you went into State Disability. That was essentially unlimited, but the company would only make up the difference between the disability money and your actual salary for between six months and two years depending on your seniority. Once you went into disability, you needed a doctor's note authorizing the absence. The amusing thing is that the disability money wasn't taxable, and you paid less taxes on your reduced salary, so people almost always made more than their normal take home pay while on disability.
But if truly disabled, it would cost them more...someone to grocery shop for them, or a nurse to come, or if crippled a new wheel chair ramp, wheel chair car, or special foods needed, or over the counter drugs, or you have to pay for a new applance to be shipped and installed instead of doing all the labor themselves, or a number of things could and likely would, cost more....so the truly disabled would likely not be making out better...

But how much is well paid, when you give up your life outside of work, and give up any time with your family?

Probably about double to triple the national average, taking into account benefits and overtime.

Every full time job should include at least 10 paid sick days and at least 3 weeks paid vacation. Don't offer those? Then don't cry about finding workers.

How about give them most of their demands? I will always side with the employee vs the employer. Meet their demands. Easy call. Those of you who side against them are anti worker.

How about you volunteer to fucking pay for it yourself?

If you give in to all demands you end up with civil service unions and the current clusterfuck of municipal pension funds about to explode in the next 1-2 decades.

Every full time job should include at least 10 paid sick days and at least 3 weeks paid vacation. Don't offer those? Then don't cry about finding workers.

Again, open up your wallet, big spender of other's money.

Forum List

Back