Biden stabs rail workers in the back

Railroad workers of this level are subject to federal regulation, not State level due to the interstate nature of most railroads.

The federal government has the power to impose any agreements on BOTH sides, via previous legislation.

I'M SUBJECT TO FEDERAL REGULATION due to interstate commerce of my job! And my ass can be fired for anything or nothing at all.

The FMCSA motor carrier handbook is my second bible.

I'm uncertain Americans could survive a strike at this time....the trucking companies likely could hold out for a while, with all the stimulus money they built up.

If they did strike, the agriculture industry and meat industry would likely fail from their spoils, grocery stores in all of the east will be more empty and Americans will be working an entire day just to pay for a loaf of bread, supplies of all kinds will be nil, fuel will also be short, east of the Mississippi would collapse. Most everything comes in through California ports.... It has to be trucked or railed to get everywhere else.

The railroad workers are being totally shit on by the Railroad companies, being on call 24/7 365 days a year is bullshit!, having no vacation time that can be taken is bullshit, having no sick days is bull shit.

But at the same time, a railroad strike at this time would be an internal National security threat....

From he article....

The House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, said Congress would take up legislation on Wednesday to stop a nationwide strike that would honor the original labor union agreement brokered by the Biden administration in September to avoid industrial action ahead of the midterm elections.

She said the agreement “is not everything I would like to see, I would like to see paid sick leave – every [leading democratic] country in the world has it. I don’t like going against the ability of a union to strike but, weighing the equities, we must avoid a strike.”

Geez, I'm so glad I am not the president or transportation secretary!

Reagan would fire them all
Reagan fired the PATCO members because they had a no strike clause in their employment contracts, and they violated it. He also warned them and gave them every chance to return to work before firing them. As far as I know rail workers have no such clause, or even employment contracts since they are not federal workers protected by civil service rules.

I'm uncertain Americans could survive a strike at this time....the trucking companies likely could hold out for a while, with all the stimulus money they built up.

If they did strike, the agriculture industry and meat industry would likely fail from their spoils, grocery stores in all of the east will be more empty and Americans will be working an entire day just to pay for a loaf of bread, supplies of all kinds will be nil, fuel will also be short, east of the Mississippi would collapse. Most everything comes in through California ports.... It has to be trucked or railed to get everywhere else.

The railroad workers are being totally shit on by the Railroad companies, being on call 24/7 365 days a year is bullshit!, having no vacation time that can be taken is bullshit, having no sick days is bull shit.

But at the same time, a railroad strike at this time would be an internal National security threat....

From he article....

The House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, said Congress would take up legislation on Wednesday to stop a nationwide strike that would honor the original labor union agreement brokered by the Biden administration in September to avoid industrial action ahead of the midterm elections.

She said the agreement “is not everything I would like to see, I would like to see paid sick leave – every [leading democratic] country in the world has it. I don’t like going against the ability of a union to strike but, weighing the equities, we must avoid a strike.”

Geez, I'm so glad I am not the president or transportation secretary!

There is already a trucking driver shortage, especially amongst the long haul truckers that would be needed to fill these roles.

Rail work is hard work, but it is well paid work. Short of making trains that carry people's families with them at all times, or making the railroads crew trains in a zone system, probably increasing the needed employees (and costs) exponentially, there is nothing really to be done to make it easier.

They also have worker issues, as not many people want to work in jobs like this. They compete with commuter and subway rail jobs that have the benefit of being able to go home at the end of a shift.

Everyone ignores that 8 of the 12 unions ratified these agreements.

Reagan fired the PATCO members because they had a no strike clause in their employment contracts, and they violated it. He also warned them and gave them every chance to return to work before firing them. As far as I know rail workers have no such clause, or even employment contracts since they are not federal workers protected by civil service rules.

There is a law allowing the government to intervene in a potential strike, forcing EITHER side to agree to terms.

But one implies losing your job due to cause on YOUR part, and the other due to other factors such as lack of demand, replacement via automation, or re-organization.
tell it to the 2700 people fired by text last week in NC

I don't know how this qualifies as a "stab in the back" to the railroad employees.

My guess is that most of them don't want to strike- and even if they did, Sleepy Joe doesn't owe them anything. It isn't like he is "betraying" them in any way.

This is a disgraceful action by a US president.Reminiscent of that awful Reagan.
America needs a decent leadership that supports the working man and woman.
If railways are so important then pay them.
Biden. He really fucked up and Berkshire Hathaway keeps getting richer. I'm not in a Union and I get 5 days paid sick leave per year. The rail workers are asking for 7 days and that can easily be negotiated to a compromise.

I don't know how this qualifies as a "stab in the back" to the railroad employees.

My guess is that most of them don't want to strike- and even if they did, Sleepy Joe doesn't owe them anything. It isn't like he is "betraying" them in any way.
It's true that all the workers don't want to strike but I believe they are in the minority.

Biden. He really fucked up and Berkshire Hathaway keeps getting richer. I'm not in a Union and I get 5 days paid sick leave per year. The rail workers are asking for 7 days and that can easily be negotiated to a compromise.
dam i used to get 12 and those not used can carry over and put in your sick leave bank....

I get 13 weeks at full pay and another 13 at half pay. That is pretty standard over here How do you cope if you break a leg or have an operation ?
7 days doesnt seem unreasonable. I wouldnt want to ride a train with a sick driver.

Forum List

Back