Biden admin to ban menthol cigs and blunts. What could go wrong?

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Largely because menthol cigs are racist. Over 80% of black smokers choose menthol cigs and other POC hold a 2 to 1 preference over whites.

So -- just when we we're finally "decriminalizing" maryjawanna and removing that black market from the hoods, we're gonna criminalize the sale of racist menthol cigs? Makes sense. Why don't we criminalize Malt liquor and fried chicken while we're at it?? WAS THAT RACIST? Apparently not, because if the FDA can call out menthol cigs as racist, I should be allowed to point out how "racist" Malt Liquor and Fried Chicken are killing POColor...

Both the ACLU and many predominantly black orgs -- including many in the CBlackCaucus opposed this.. Because black markets will disproportionally create biased enforcement against POC. Do we really want to see what happens when 250,000 black smokers toss the world's biggest synchronized nicotine fit? What exactly is the Nanny State goal here? To piss off a huge portion of their remaining loyal black voters???

I'm gonna enjoy watching the backlash and the burn. MAYBE -- folks will realize that worshipping the nanny staters is a path for reduction of Civil Liberties. And without the larger set of Civil Liberties, there can be no Civil RIghts..

Menthols are the overwhelming cigarette of choice for Black smokers, and Black people in the U.S. die at higher rates than other groups from smoking-related diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke.

In the U.S., 84% of Black smokers and 47% of Hispanic smokers use menthols, compared with 30% of white smokers, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health data.

The FDA Thursday pointed to a study suggesting that banning menthol cigarettes in the U.S. would prompt an additional 923,000 smokers to quit, including 230,000 African Americans in the first 13 to 17 months after a ban goes into effect.

Of course, this threat has been around the whole smoking dust-up for more than a decade. But there was never an Admin stupid enough to piss off their OWN CONSTITUENTS and faithful --- UNTIL NOW... :dev3:

The Food and Drug Administration appears likely to move to ban menthol in cigarettes this week — a step, experts say, that has been years in the making and that could have a significant positive impact on the health of Black Americans.

The FDA's decision would not ban menthol immediately, but rather kick off the rule-making process to do so, which could take years.

"The winds are definitely in our favor," said Delmonte Jefferson, executive director of the Center for Black Health & Equity, citing both the decades of data that show that the cooling flavor in cigarettes makes it easier to start smoking combined with the current cultural momentum toward improving the lives of Black Americans.

When inhaled, menthol produces a cooling sensation in the throat, reducing the harsh taste of cigarettes and the irritation of nicotine. The vast majority of Black smokers — 85 percent — use menthol cigarettes. And Black men and women are much less likely than white Americans to be diagnosed with lung cancer at an earlier, potentially more treatable stage. Black men have the highest lung cancer death rate in the country.

"When you combine high rates of smoking with systematic racism in health care systems, you have a tremendous health disparity," said Erika Sward, national assistant vice president for advocacy at the American Lung Association. Both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health recently announced plans to address structural racism in health care.

Hey you black people. You don't have the sense to make good judgements on your own. That's what Big Brother is for.

So they ban a very popular product used in black communities. What will the results be? The same results when some places had much higher cigarette taxes than others, and that is it creates a black market, no pun intended.

This is already taking place in New York where the price of cigarettes is almost $13.00 for one pack which is why the late Eric Garner sold them one at a time that ultimately led to his death, but this is different because it's aimed specifically at the black communities across the entire country since they are the largest consumers of menthol cigarettes.

While the supposed goal is to make black communities healthier, it will also make more blacks into criminals as banning a popular product doesn't make people not want them. It creates an opportunity for those that can beat the system. If menthol cigarettes can't be found outside of the country, they will roll their own cigarettes (perfectly legal) and insert menthol into the loose tobacco before they roll it and sell them that way.

Also in the policy will be the banning of blunts; flavored mini-cigars that blacks often use to smoke pot without detection.

Don't black people have enough problems with the law without creating policy that will only make things worse?

Largely because menthol cigs are racist. Over 80% of black smokers choose menthol cigs and other POC hold a 2 to 1 preference over whites.

So -- just when we we're finally "decriminalizing" maryjawanna and removing that black market from the hoods, we're gonna criminalize the sale of racist menthol cigs? Makes sense. Why don't we criminalize Malt liquor and fried chicken while we're at it?? WAS THAT RACIST? Apparently not, because if the FDA can call out menthol cigs as racist, I should be allowed to point out how "racist" Malt Liquor and Fried Chicken are killing POColor...

Both the ACLU and many predominantly black orgs -- including many in the CBlackCaucus opposed this.. Because black markets will disproportionally create biased enforcement against POC. Do we really want to see what happens when 250,000 black smokers toss the world's biggest synchronized nicotine fit? What exactly is the Nanny State goal here? To piss off a huge portion of their remaining loyal black voters???

I'm gonna enjoy watching the backlash and the burn. MAYBE -- folks will realize that worshipping the nanny staters is a path for reduction of Civil Liberties. And without the larger set of Civil Liberties, there can be no Civil RIghts..

Menthols are the overwhelming cigarette of choice for Black smokers, and Black people in the U.S. die at higher rates than other groups from smoking-related diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke.

In the U.S., 84% of Black smokers and 47% of Hispanic smokers use menthols, compared with 30% of white smokers, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health data.

The FDA Thursday pointed to a study suggesting that banning menthol cigarettes in the U.S. would prompt an additional 923,000 smokers to quit, including 230,000 African Americans in the first 13 to 17 months after a ban goes into effect.

Of course, this threat has been around the whole smoking dust-up for more than a decade. But there was never an Admin stupid enough to piss off their OWN CONSTITUENTS and faithful --- UNTIL NOW...:dev3:
Crazy times. Truth over Facts.

Of course, this threat has been around the whole smoking dust-up for more than a decade. But there was never an Admin stupid enough to piss off their OWN CONSTITUENTS and faithful --- UNTIL NOW... :dev3:
I smoke menthol. Fuck Biden, I'll haul my black ass to the next protest/riot....oh wait....

They be squares and does this include smokeless tobaccer?

I did smoke heavily in my 20s and 40s.. And my experience was on campus and elsewhere that folks that wanted to bum a cig -- looked at me as crazy when I whipped out my menthols.. About an 80% -- "I'd rather die of nicotine withdrawal than smoke one of those"... It's true...

Of course, this threat has been around the whole smoking dust-up for more than a decade. But there was never an Admin stupid enough to piss off their OWN CONSTITUENTS and faithful --- UNTIL NOW...:dev3:
I smoke menthol. Fuck Biden, I'll haul my black ass to the next protest/riot....oh wait....

I imagine this will do wonders for race relations..

I did smoke heavily in my 20s and 40s.. And my experience was on campus and elsewhere that folks that wanted to bum a cig -- looked at me as crazy when I whipped out my menthols.. About an 80% -- "I'd rather die of nicotine withdrawal than smoke one of those"... It's true...
For a while I switched to Menthol to stop one particular leech coworker who would try to bum several a day. That ended it.

I imagine this will do wonders for race relations..
They are color blind but not in the sense you think.
They feel above the fray and invincible.
We have spent years trying to get pot legal but outlaw cigs. What fucking sense does that make???

For a while I switched to Menthol to stop one particular leech coworker who would try to bum several a day. That ended it.
I only smoke menthol. Cigarettes are nasty and the menthol gives a sense of freshness

I only smoke menthol. Cigarettes are nasty and the menthol gives a sense of freshness
I will do either during drinking.
Camel Crush gives you both.

Forum List

Back