Biden admin to ban menthol cigs and blunts. What could go wrong?

You have Google. I don't care if you believe me. All we can say is that everything we know so far shows that children might in fact become dependent on nicotine from secondhand smoke.

Now you have a WHOLE 'nother theory on this nonsense policy. That's pretty fast base stealing there. Secondhand smoke that government said was MORE dangerous than the what the smoker was exposed to???

When ya gonna learn to take "govt science" as an oxymoron?

I don't care if you believe me. All we can say is that everything we know so far shows that children might in fact become dependent on nicotine from secondhand smoke.
Well isn't that just jim dandy... Good thing you don't care, because I think you are full of shit...
You are prevaricator and I call :bsflag::bsflag: TWICE...

Largely because menthol cigs are racist. Over 80% of black smokers choose menthol cigs and other POC hold a 2 to 1 preference over whites.

So -- just when we we're finally "decriminalizing" maryjawanna and removing that black market from the hoods, we're gonna criminalize the sale of racist menthol cigs? Makes sense. Why don't we criminalize Malt liquor and fried chicken while we're at it?? WAS THAT RACIST? Apparently not, because if the FDA can call out menthol cigs as racist, I should be allowed to point out how "racist" Malt Liquor and Fried Chicken are killing POColor...

Both the ACLU and many predominantly black orgs -- including many in the CBlackCaucus opposed this.. Because black markets will disproportionally create biased enforcement against POC. Do we really want to see what happens when 250,000 black smokers toss the world's biggest synchronized nicotine fit? What exactly is the Nanny State goal here? To piss off a huge portion of their remaining loyal black voters???

I'm gonna enjoy watching the backlash and the burn. MAYBE -- folks will realize that worshipping the nanny staters is a path for reduction of Civil Liberties. And without the larger set of Civil Liberties, there can be no Civil RIghts..

Menthols are the overwhelming cigarette of choice for Black smokers, and Black people in the U.S. die at higher rates than other groups from smoking-related diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke.

In the U.S., 84% of Black smokers and 47% of Hispanic smokers use menthols, compared with 30% of white smokers, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health data.

The FDA Thursday pointed to a study suggesting that banning menthol cigarettes in the U.S. would prompt an additional 923,000 smokers to quit, including 230,000 African Americans in the first 13 to 17 months after a ban goes into effect.

Of course, this threat has been around the whole smoking dust-up for more than a decade. But there was never an Admin stupid enough to piss off their OWN CONSTITUENTS and faithful --- UNTIL NOW...:dev3:

Sorry, but cigarettes are not the hill I want to die on.

*ba-dum chi*

And you are just as wrong now as the first time you said it.

Not as wrong as the govt panels pushing this crap. I switched to menthol so that other kids wouldn't be bumming cigs. It WORKED COMPLETELY. Because they would rather have a nic fit than smoke ONE menthol cigarette.

Worked for FIVE YEARS!!! Saved maybe sharing 20 packs or more. Until I met the right girl who was GLAD I switched.

Rather strong empirical evidence.

Not as wrong as the govt panels pushing this crap. I switched to menthol so that other kids wouldn't be bumming cigs. It WORKED COMPLETELY. Because they would rather have a nic fit than smoke ONE menthol cigarette.

Worked for FIVE YEARS!!! Saved maybe sharing 20 packs or more. Until I met the right girl who was GLAD I switched.

Rather strong empirical evidence.
Wow, a personal anecdote? Haha, no need for response. That post embarrasses itself.

Wow, a personal anecdote? Haha, no need for response. That post embarrasses itself.

Where's the science on this? They got none. They are doing it to PROTECT MINORITIES. And they dont need science to virtue signal.

MY experiment is a data point. Bet I can find dozens of corraborating confirming "studies" like mine.

I did smoke heavily in my 20s and 40s.. And my experience was on campus and elsewhere that folks that wanted to bum a cig -- looked at me as crazy when I whipped out my menthols.. About an 80% -- "I'd rather die of nicotine withdrawal than smoke one of those"... It's true...
Ha! Good way to keep the moochers at bay.

Back in the 50's one could get a little menthol chrystal piece you could put on your cigarette. When you lit up, it would melt and give menthol to the smoke. Now they have menthol capsules as well.

1651361049751.png

Last edited:
Back in the 50's one could get a little menthol chrystal piece you could put on your cigarette. When you lit up, it would melt and give menthol to the smoke. Now they have menthol capsules as well.

View attachment 638694

THere'll be a black market again. Unless they want to outlaw tobacco and lose $Bills in taxes, this is really nibbling around the edges for virtue points.

When I did smoke -- I was promised that all that tax money was gonna go to deferring medical costs. Ya think folks are getting monetary relief for tobacco disease? That money is going EVERYWHERE BUT deferring medical costs. I thought it was a privilege to contribute $1000 or so every year to the "cause". But I'm smarter today.

Between 2009 and 2018, sales of non-menthol cigarettes declined by 33.1% nationally while sales of menthol cigarettes declined by only 8.2% during the same period. 91% of the decline in cigarette sales between 2009 and 2018 is attributable to nonmenthol cigarettes.

Says NOTHING about age. Says a lot about a hard-core minority demographic that favors them and we're talking primary about blacks. Could be that OLDER smokers switched to menthol as the Baby Boomers aged for the SAME REASONING they give for favorability among youth. That it reduces the harshness of the smoke.

If you check the OTHER thread that got bumped which I started last year -- They were going after BLUNTS primarily -- which are mini-cigars AND VERY POPULAR with the inner city gang bangers. And in my YOUTH --- VERY RARELY did I run into kids smoking menthol. MAYBE it was a racist thing. Or MAYBE - it just wasn't cool.

But TODAY -- ALL THOSE YOUTH who WOULD be on cigs are VAPING !!!! And the flavor choices ARE FUCKING WALLS FULL of choices. So "menthol" is ALSO NOT VERY POPULAR with the younger vaping crowd because I DID VAPE for awhile and I could choose from 48 flavors -- BUT NOTHING THAT SAID MENTHOL and the "Cool" flavors of vape (menthol) were NOT popular and NOT WIDELY stocked in a lot of different vape concentrations.

They prefer the FRUITY flavors and ones that have a kind of "pot aroma".

And in my YOUTH --- VERY RARELY did I run into kids smoking menthol. MAYBE it was a racist thing. Or MAYBE - it just wasn't cool.
In my yute... it was probably close to a 45% non-menthol (Marlboro), 45% menthol (Kools) leading the packs... I smoked Camels openly in front of parents at 16 and never changed brands for 41 years... Not very many people would bum from me... I would yell at them and say, "These damn things cost me .25 cents a pack, buy your own"...

Life was different then, but still good...

Forum List

Back