Bench Press

the only weightlifting I do is getting out of bed.

1711817422330.png

I can bench press 285 lbs which is decent for a guy my age.

I was a 190 pound kid my sophomore year and I got into wrestling. Went down to 167 and when I wasn't wrestling, I was lifting weights. Friends convinced me to get down to 155. I believe I still had 10% body fat at 155. I was a healthy 155 in other words. I went to a powerlifting meet and did 300 bench, 405 squat and 505 deadlift. In the weight room at school once I put up 350. I was 16.

The funny thing is, how did the next generation start putting up 400 pounds? They say no steroids but I don't know. That seems impossible.

How old are you? I remember bragging to my wrestling coach that I could bench 300 and he said so could he. I laughed so we went to the weight room and god damn that old man did 300 pounds. But now looking back, he was probably in his 40's? Still it was impressive for an "old man".

10 years ago (I'm 53 now) this kid said "I can do more than you" so we went to the weight room. There were 100 pound dumbells and I picked them up, walked to the flat bench and put them up 3 times. Put them down. He grabbed them, asked if I could help him get them up on his legs. I said oh hell no. Get them up yourself. The room was full of co workers. It was hilarious. He couldn't even get them on his thighs.

How old are you? I'm 53 and I might not be able to put up 2 45's on each side. That's 225. If I had to bet I'd bet I couldn't do it. So good for you.

185 at the height of my weightlifting in college.
Now?...stick to under 100 (counting bar weight).

Practical upper body strength (pull ups, push ups, chin ups, dips, lat pulldowns) are more of a focus now.

Forum List

Back