Calgary judge rules woman with autism can seek Medical Assistance in Dying

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
The nazis shot and killed any "imperfect" citizens. We are far more civilized than they were...

Check out the logic. Not allowing her to kill herself would cause her "irreparable harm" (due to the methods she might employ). Her family are trying to keep their daughter alive.

Preventing a Calgary woman’s medically assisted death would cause her irreparable harm, a judge ruled Monday in ordering an injunction stopping her from ending her life be lifted.

But Justice Colin Feasby said his decision will be stayed for 30 days so lawyers for the father of the woman, identified only as MV, can decide whether to file an appeal.

The Calgary Court of King’s Bench judge said he had to weigh the potential harm an injunction would cause the 27-year-old woman, who suffers from autism, against the harm her parents would suffer if the injunction was lifted.

Advertisement 2

Eugenics was being practiced in the U.S. for years before the Nazis implemented into their grand plan. A despicable, reprehensible policy then, a despicable, reprehensible policy now.

This story does not rise to the level of eugenics. While I do not agree with this woman's decision, it is not being ordered by the state, the state only makes the path to her goal legal... something I have mixed emotions about.

The decision is hers, provided she is of sound mind.

The nazis shot and killed any "imperfect" citizens. We are far more civilized than they were...

Check out the logic. Not allowing her to kill herself would cause her "irreparable harm" (due to the methods she might employ). Her family are trying to keep their daughter alive.

Preventing a Calgary woman’s medically assisted death would cause her irreparable harm, a judge ruled Monday in ordering an injunction stopping her from ending her life be lifted.

But Justice Colin Feasby said his decision will be stayed for 30 days so lawyers for the father of the woman, identified only as MV, can decide whether to file an appeal.

The Calgary Court of King’s Bench judge said he had to weigh the potential harm an injunction would cause the 27-year-old woman, who suffers from autism, against the harm her parents would suffer if the injunction was lifted.

Advertisement 2

It strikes me that she must have had substantial counselling before making this decision, and she's a grown woman capable of making her own choices.

Better than walking in front of a train or into traffic.

It strikes me that she must have had substantial counselling before making this decision, and she's a grown woman capable of making her own choices.

Better than walking in front of a train or into traffic.
She is doing this because of her autism. She feels alone and depressed.

We as a society should make her feel welcome, give her hope and purpose. I always speak to such people when they are employed at a place of business and go out of my way to give such stores my business.

To be eligible for medical assistance in dying, you must meet all the following criteria. You must:

• be eligible for health services funded by a province or territory, or the federal government
    • You may also be eligible if you meet your province or territory's minimum period of residence or waiting period.
  • be at least 18 years old and mentally competent
    • This means being capable of making health care decisions for yourself.
  • have a grievous and irremediable medical condition
  • make a voluntary request for medical assistance in dying
    • The request cannot be the result of outside pressure or influence.
  • give informed consent to receive medical assistance in dying
Generally, visitors to Canada are not eligible for medical assistance in dying.

Autism alone cannot make her eligible for MAID. The girl may have other life-threatening conditions that cannot be cured. Otherwise, she cannot meet the criteria.

To be considered as having a grievous and irremediable medical condition, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:

• have a serious illness, disease or disability
  • be in an advanced state of decline that cannot be reversed
  • experience unbearable physical or mental suffering from your illness, disease, disability or state of decline that cannot be relieved under conditions that you consider acceptable
You do not need to have a fatal or terminal condition to be eligible for medical assistance in dying.

If your only medical condition is a mental illness, you are not eligible for medical assistance in dying until March 17, 2027.

"In a properly organized society, the most essential things for human beings should be free"
Canadian authorities: "Got it! Free contraception for women and euthanasia for losers!"

Forum List

Back