Ball Pein Hammer Cane

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Went to Ace Hardware and they had a 32 ounce ball pein hammer for ten bucks. Well...who can pass that up?

So I'm looking at this thing and I'm thinking.. this would make a great custom cane head for my Dad. And lo and behold, I'm not the first person to think of this.

Of course... I'm not going to destroy a useful tool...so...it was off to the bowels of Amazon for some substandard Chinese imports... and I was not disappointed.

Two for $16 and they came with two additional handles. They will probably be useful for something.

Check out this quality...

IMG_20220105_151010243.jpg

IMG_20220105_151020503.jpg

Drove the handles out intact with a poplar dowel, wedge and all. :lol:

Also pretty sure they are also not 32 ounce, based on a comparison with the Ace hammer.

IMG_20220105_151421074.jpg

But they are perfect for my needs.

If you want to try this... here's the link...

Amazon product

Now I'm going to spend some time deciding whether or not I want to draw them out a little in the forge.

Last edited:
I carry one on my belt when I go somewhere dicey. They're legal and better than a knife in a fight. You can throw them. too. Carry a dozen.

Went to Ace Hardware and they had a 32 ounce ball pein hammer for ten bucks. Well...who can pass that up?

So I'm looking at this thing and I'm thinking.. this would make a great custom cane head for my Dad. And lo and behold, I'm not the first person to think of this.

Of course... I'm not going to destroy a useful tool...so...it was off to the bowels of Amazon for some substandard Chinese imports... and I was not disappointed.

Two for $16 and they came with two additional handles. They will probably be useful for something.

View attachment 584339

View attachment 584340

Also pretty sure they are also not 32 ounce, based on a comparison with the Ace hammer.

View attachment 584338

Amazon product

Now I'm going to spend some time deciding whether or not I want to draw them out a little in the forge.

you just gave me a good idea for the half dozen old hammer heads I have in my toolbox,,

View attachment 584339

Amazon product

I like that cane idea.

Cool use of the bayo Relluc. Got a few SKS bayos around.

My smithy shop is almost going again, moved. New "Devils Forge" New knife grinder with VFD on the way. It's a Broadbeck. Had a KMG before, vfd and all.

I don't like to ruin tools but some are ahhh,,,, ready for a recycle? Like the wrench knives and makes a duo tool.

1641492087557.jpeg
Blue-Wrench-Tomahawk-3.jpg
Pearce-Wrench-Knives.jpg

Here's the grinder. Got both the Mareko platen and the round contact wheel. Grinder also tilts 90 degrees.
doublegrinder_c0285e3a-8203-4323-8135-c1f65a6cea19.jpg
contact_vert_l_79683e6f-4f63-4c11-bb9f-28a06f110743_693x.jpg

I like that cane idea.

Cool use of the bayo Relluc. Got a few SKS bayos around.

My smithy shop is almost going again, moved. New "Devils Forge" New knife grinder with VFD on the way. It's a Broadbeck. Had a KMG before, vfd and all.

I don't like to ruin tools but some are ahhh,,,, ready for a recycle? Like the wrench knives and makes a duo tool.

View attachment 584391
Blue-Wrench-Tomahawk-3.jpg
Pearce-Wrench-Knives.jpg

Here's the grinder. Got both the Mareko platen and the round contact wheel. Grinder also tilts 90 degrees.
doublegrinder_c0285e3a-8203-4323-8135-c1f65a6cea19.jpg
contact_vert_l_79683e6f-4f63-4c11-bb9f-28a06f110743_693x.jpg
Sweet. What happened to the old forge?

I'm kinda afraid to forge of these mystery metal hammer heads. Haven't file tested them yet but the few reviews say they are not hardened.

Here's a video on how to make hardware store "trench club". I have a six-way cross but I thought I would use brass hex-caps instead. I'm going to use a length of turned-down ironwood for the handle once it dries/cures-out.

Interesting.

I've always wanted to try making one of these...

you just gave me a good idea for the half dozen old hammer heads I have in my toolbox,,
What are you thinking for handle materials?

I don't really want to buy anything... I have a nice straight piece of dry black walnut...but it isn't big enough to split the pith out. I'm thinking of harvesting an osage orange trunk out of a fencerow big enough to quarter.

What are you thinking for handle materials?

I don't really want to buy anything... I have a nice straight piece of dry black walnut...but it isn't big enough to split the pith out. I'm thinking of harvesting an osage orange trunk out of a fencerow big enough to quarter.
I have several mulberry trees to take down and can get some splits out of them or many of the walnuts I also need to take down,,

I can check and see if my stepdad has any osage splits long enoungh but I think his long stuff has been used up,,

Haven't file tested them yet but the few reviews said they were soft

File tested one and the file bit right into the hammer head. Either never hardened or a failed hardening process.

What a piece of junk this would be for anyone that bought it as an actual hammer.

Sweet. What happened to the old forge?

I'm kinda afraid to forge of these mystery metal hammer heads. Haven't file tested them yet but the few reviews say they are not hardened.
I had a 3 burner and a KMG. Too much to carry from Maine, engraving balls, 2 anvils. It's OK I'm almost set back up now. 40 feet of workbench, 5 8 footers, Mill and lathe will be on metal stands. Wood, metal and knife shop nearing done :)

View attachment 584339

View attachment 584340

View attachment 584338

Amazon product

That would make an excellent ANTIFA thug adjustment tool also

View attachment 584339

View attachment 584340

View attachment 584338

Amazon product

If yo daddy B black it'll get him shot

Forum List

Back