New Ruger Wrangler With Birdshead Grip Frame

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up a new Ruger Wrangler with the birdshead grip today. It has a 3.75" barrel. It also comes with a DeSantis ambidextrous field holster....My price was $230.00, not including state tax.
W 001 (3).JPG

As far as I know they have not gave it a name like other companies did their shortys....Then again you don't need to poke the empties out with a stick like Heratige's offering.

Usually I shy away from a birdshead grip but this one fits my hand pretty well. That and it's a .22 so no recoil worries.

My example was bone dry but after lubing it up it's as smooth as my other Wrangler.

One thing I did have to do was run a piece of 0000 steel wool down the track of the ejecting rod housing where the ejection rod handle contacted it as it was a tad balky....GTG now, it operates nice and smooth.

I believe the price was well worth it seeing how you get wood grips and a decent field holster.

It compares well to a well-worn Ruger SS I had cut down to 3-7/8" (I had to make it a bit longer so I could eject .22 Magnum).....That and the holster fits it too!

The shorty shoots just as well as the regular Wrangler which sort of surprised me due to the front sight height being the same.

W 004 (2).JPG

Here it is with one of my regular Wranglers so you can see the difference in size.....I wish they would have had one in "silver" because to be honest the black is sort of homely.

I've been considering switching the grip frames out on them. I think a regular grip frame in silver would look good on the new one.

W 007 (2).JPG

I think Uberti did it better ...

View attachment 583291
Uberti does everything repro SAA better. I have a Uberti Stallion in .38 Special (3.50" barrel/regular grip frame)....It fits the holster too. The Stallion was also available in .22, in fact not many of the .38s were made.
I still prefer a regular grip on a centerfire SAA clone though.
u_001__2__JPG-2084149.JPG

Wow, nice pieces, 1srelluc. I bought the first gun in my life last year because of snakes by the lake on my land. I've seen 2 kinds of poisonous snakes--water moccassins and some copperheads. I leave them alone and they leave me alone, but my seasonal workman had other ideas and said the lake was getting overpopulated with them. The guy my late husband and I bought our homestead from said he'd seen some coral snakes once but killed them. I don't remember having seen one, but if I did, I'd not panic but maybe change course to go around one. Oh, well. Oh, my gun looks like an old timey gunslinger gun and is called a 22 pistol. I haven't shot it yet. I can't stand loud pops. The workman spent a couple of days shooting snakes and said he couldn't find any more. They hang out near one of the old fences, but I didn't say anything, because they don't bother me.

Wow, nice pieces, 1srelluc. I bought the first gun in my life last year because of snakes by the lake on my land. I've seen 2 kinds of poisonous snakes--water moccassins and some copperheads. I leave them alone and they leave me alone, but my seasonal workman had other ideas and said the lake was getting overpopulated with them. The guy my late husband and I bought our homestead from said he'd seen some coral snakes once but killed them. I don't remember having seen one, but if I did, I'd not panic but maybe change course to go around one. Oh, well. Oh, my gun looks like an old timey gunslinger gun and is called a 22 pistol. I haven't shot it yet. I can't stand loud pops. The workman spent a couple of days shooting snakes and said he couldn't find any more. They hang out near one of the old fences, but I didn't say anything, because they don't bother me.
Unless I need the skin as long as snakes stay in their lane I'm fine with them. Years ago I did have to go medieval on a copperhead nest under the old stone steps leading down to the pond. Too many folks used the steps to have that going on.

I took care of them with a old nine-shot High Standard Hombre revolver loaded with snake/rat shot. I pulled 11 of them out from under there. I skinned/tanned the skins of ones big enough to make hat bands out of.

I just chunked them up and tossed them in the pond afterwards.....The catfish and snapping turtles need to eat too. ;)

Unless I need the skin as long as snakes stay in their lane I'm fine with them. Years ago I did have to go medieval on a copperhead nest under the old stone steps leading down to the pond. Too many folks used the steps to have that going on.

I took care of them with a old nine-shot High Standard Hombre revolver loaded with snake/rat shot. I pulled 11 of them out from under there. I skinned/tanned the skins of ones big enough to make hat bands out of.

I just chunked them up and tossed them in the pond afterwards.....The catfish and snapping turtles need to eat too. ;)
That's cool to be resourceful in my book. Copperheads have nice patterns on them and I bet those hat bands were amazing one-of-a-kind eye candy.

I picked-up a new Ruger Wrangler with the birdshead grip today. It has a 3.75" barrel. It also comes with a DeSantis ambidextrous field holster....My price was $230.00, not including state tax.
View attachment 583278

As far as I know they have not gave it a name like other companies did their shortys....Then again you don't need to poke the empties out with a stick like Heratige's offering.

Usually I shy away from a birdshead grip but this one fits my hand pretty well. That and it's a .22 so no recoil worries.

My example was bone dry but after lubing it up it's as smooth as my other Wrangler.

One thing I did have to do was run a piece of 0000 steel wool down the track of the ejecting rod housing where the ejection rod handle contacted it as it was a tad balky....GTG now, it operates nice and smooth.

I believe the price was well worth it seeing how you get wood grips and a decent field holster.

It compares well to a well-worn Ruger SS I had cut down to 3-7/8" (I had to make it a bit longer so I could eject .22 Magnum).....That and the holster fits it too!

The shorty shoots just as well as the regular Wrangler which sort of surprised me due to the front sight height being the same.

View attachment 583280

Here it is with one of my regular Wranglers so you can see the difference in size.....I wish they would have had one in "silver" because to be honest the black is sort of homely.

I've been considering switching the grip frames out on them. I think a regular grip frame in silver would look good on the new one.

View attachment 583282
Glad you found what you like. :thup:

Forum List

Back