Do I Feel Lucky....Why yes I do! 1973 S&W Model 29 in .44 Magnum

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I ran across a very nice S&W 29-2 (made in 1973) this morning and took it home. It's the first 6.50" barreled example I've seen for a while....They dropped the 6.5" in '79 and went to a 6" barrel.

It came with the Aucu-fit holster and a speed-loader....It has the target hammer and trigger option but back then I think that they all did.

29 001 (2).JPG

Very lightly used....Using some "trade fodder" I'm into it around $700.00....I have a set of smooth N-frame target grips someplace that I'll have to dig out and install.

More:

Last edited:
I ran across a very nice S&W 29-2 (made in 1973) this morning and took it home. It's the first 6.50" barreled example I've seen for a while....They dropped the 6.5" in '79 and went to a 6" barrel.
I had one from that era in 8-3/8" with the presentation box. Very nice polishing and blueing on those. Damn they are getting pricey!

I had a GF that was all of 100 lbs soaking wet, whenever I took her shooting that was the one she wanted to shoot. I had a bunch of smaller guns that I thought would be easier for her to handle, she wasn't interested in any of them.

One day I asked her why she liked the .44 so much. She said "Cause I always hit what I am shooting at!" Lol, she did too- she wasn't bad with that big'ol revolver.

I wanna see the 15 yard groupings. Some guns like that suck for accuracy.

It looks almost like a Dan Wesson .44 I remember that absolutely sucked.

If the handle is made for Andre The Giant, it's probably right about the same gun.

It looks in nice shape, but is it nice shoot?

I wanna see the 15 yard groupings. Some guns like that suck for accuracy.

It looks almost like a Dan Wesson .44 I remember that absolutely sucked.

If the handle is made for Andre The Giant, it's probably right about the same gun.

It looks in nice shape, but is it nice shoot?
No .44 Mag is "nice to shoot".....There's just different degrees of tolerance. ;)

That said drop in some .44 Special cartridges and they are pussycats.

I have a 4" S&W Model 69 5-shot .44 Mag (built on the lighter L-Frame) and I had to go with a rubber combat grip on that one.

No .44 Mag is "nice to shoot".....There's just different degrees of tolerance. ;)

That said drop in some .44 Special cartridges and they are pussycats.

I have a 4" S&W Model 69 5-shot .44 Mag (built on the lighter L-Frame) and I had to go with a rubber combat grip on that one.
I remember burned fingers.

Forum List

Back