Asteroid Hit the Earth and We Spotted it Too Late

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
Fortunately it was probably as small as they can be and still be called an asteroid

Fridge-sized asteroid hit Earth two hours after first spotted: Nasa​

• Asteroid 2022 EB5 was around two metres long, a size Nasa said was ‘too small to pose a hazard to Earth’
  • Asteroid disintegrated over western Greenland or coast of Norway; people in Iceland saw bright flashes

There are lots of things that could end civilization as we know it... many more likely to happen than an asteroid collision ... the last extinction level asteroid occurred 66 million years ago. That would make them relatively rare.

A global plague (a real plague, not just a bad flu season) --- the last major plague of that nature occurred just over 100 years ago.

A solar induced EMP -- a major one occurred less than 200 years ago.

A supervolcano --- the last one nearly made humans extinct 75,000 years ago.

For Righties to blame President Biden.

Learn a new song ...

FFKMMZNHERLT9HZ.jpg

Plenty of trajectories that bring rather large objects right into Earth with little or no warning ... around the Sun so the object is lost in the Sun's glare ... the question is whether a large enough object can sneak through the inner solar system without being spotted ... in order to be slung around the Sun and hide it in the glare ... yet still be big enough to matter more than locally when it does hit the atmosphere ...

Last I read, NASA has us in the clear for the next 300 years ... with nothing apparent for the next 3,000 years, barring any screw ball n-body gravitational effect sometime somewhere ...

Remember ... an Earth sized asteroid is going to be a naked eye object to see years before it hits ...

To nuke it

Latest research indicates that most large asteroids are actually conglomerates of smaller asteroids held together by the gravity of their mutual masses. Even if there was a nuclear weapons that could be launched that could travel beyond Earth's orbit (there isn't). Even if there was a missile launched warhead that was remotely powerful enough to destroy an asteroid (there isn't). Launching that mythical nuke missile at a conglomerated asteroid would be dropping a bomb on sand. Some of the mass would be redistributed, none of it would be destroyed.

Fortunately it was probably as small as they can be and still be called an asteroid

Fridge-sized asteroid hit Earth two hours after first spotted: Nasa​

• Asteroid 2022 EB5 was around two metres long, a size Nasa said was ‘too small to pose a hazard to Earth’
  • Asteroid disintegrated over western Greenland or coast of Norway; people in Iceland saw bright flashes

Dear Asteroid:

Your aim sucks. This little map will help you out.

1648335042036.png

Dear Asteroid:

Your aim sucks. This little map will help you out.

View attachment 621670

The courses of asteroids are set by Sir Isaac Newton. And most of those courses were set about a Billion years before George Washington (and his namesake city) were a gleam in his parent's eyes.

As much as I'd like to attribute celestial destruction to divine retribution ... I'm afraid it's just a galactic lottery.

The courses of asteroids are set by Sir Isaac Newton. And most of those courses were set about a Billion years before George Washington (and his namesake city) were a gleam in his parent's eyes.

As much as I'd like to attribute celestial destruction to divine retribution ... I'm afraid it's just a galactic lottery.
Isaac was awesome !
fig-newtons.jpg

I'm not even sure it is a function of SIZE, DA! I never thought along these lines before, but if it enters the atmosphere, it is a meteor. If it strikes the ground leaving remains, then it is a meteorite. But if it is discovered in space as an object traveling before hitting the Earth, then it must be designated and recorded/cataloged, technically making it an asteroid then.

I'm not even sure it is a function of SIZE, DA! I never thought along these lines before, but if it enters the atmosphere, it is a meteor. If it strikes the ground leaving remains, then it is a meteorite. But if it is discovered in space as an object traveling before hitting the Earth, then it must be designated and recorded/cataloged, technically making it an asteroid then.
Leftists will divide them up into gender calling the males hemorrhoids!

Latest research indicates that most large asteroids are actually conglomerates of smaller asteroids held together by the gravity of their mutual masses. Even if there was a nuclear weapons that could be launched that could travel beyond Earth's orbit (there isn't). Even if there was a missile launched warhead that was remotely powerful enough to destroy an asteroid (there isn't). Launching that mythical nuke missile at a conglomerated asteroid would be dropping a bomb on sand. Some of the mass would be redistributed, none of it would be destroyed.

... and all of it will be radioactive ... that's a big negative in this equation ...

Forum List

Back