Asteroid Hit the Earth and We Spotted it Too Late

Will the next one will be spotted too late too?

Because....you know...it might be a little larger than this one!

Instead of one fridge size....may be thousands of fridges size! BOOM!

Will the next one will be spotted too late too?

Because....you know...it might be a little larger than this one!

Instead of one fridge size....may be thousands of fridges size! BOOM!

The Chelyabinsk meteor that smacked Russia in 2013 was estimated to be 20 meters in diameter ... maybe 75 refrigerators ... mass of 12,500 tonnes ... and the worst known meteor since the 1908 event ... which was 60 meters in diameter, 3,000 refrigerators and one million tonnes ...

Both were air burst events ... and neither left a crater ... the 1908 event is the largest of this kind in the historical period ... and I consider these Local events,

It's not the mass, it's not the size ... it's the 60,000 mph impact speed ...

The Chelyabinsk meteor that smacked Russia in 2013 was estimated to be 20 meters in diameter ... maybe 75 refrigerators ... mass of 12,500 tonnes ... and the worst known meteor since the 1908 event ... which was 60 meters in diameter, 3,000 refrigerators and one million tonnes ...

Both were air burst events ... and neither left a crater ... the 1908 event is the largest of this kind in the historical period ... and I consider these Local events,

It's not the mass, it's not the size ... it's the 60,000 mph impact speed ...

BOOM!

I'm not talking 75 refrigerators......but thousands of them hitting the Earth!

BOOM!

Latest research indicates that most large asteroids are actually conglomerates of smaller asteroids held together by the gravity of their mutual masses. Even if there was a nuclear weapons that could be launched that could travel beyond Earth's orbit (there isn't). Even if there was a missile launched warhead that was remotely powerful enough to destroy an asteroid (there isn't). Launching that mythical nuke missile at a conglomerated asteroid would be dropping a bomb on sand. Some of the mass would be redistributed, none of it would be destroyed.
It was a joke. We don't need to nuke refrigerator sized meteors

I'm not even sure it is a function of SIZE, DA! I never thought along these lines before, but if it enters the atmosphere, it is a meteor. If it strikes the ground leaving remains, then it is a meteorite. But if it is discovered in space as an object traveling before hitting the Earth, then it must be designated and recorded/cataloged, technically making it an asteroid then.
This is the definition I found:

Asteroid: An object larger than a meteoroid that orbits the sun and is made of rock or metal. Historically, objects larger than 10 meters across have been called asteroids.

Last I read, NASA has us in the clear for the next 300 years ... with nothing apparent for the next 3,000 years, barring any screw ball n-body gravitational effect sometime somewhere
Well, that blows my favored candidates chances for the next presidential election...
download (13).png

Hmm. Maybe, but seems rather arbitrary to me.
I don't think a refrigerator size rock qualifies as an asteroid, but a meteroid

• Meteoroid: A “space rock”—a relatively small object traveling through space, between the size of a grain of dust and a small asteroid.
  • Meteor: A meteoroid that enters Earth’s atmosphere and burns up.
  • Meteorite: A meteoroid, especially one that has hit Earth’s surface.
  • Asteroid: A rocky object that orbits the sun and has an average size between a meteoroid and a planet

BOOM!

I'm not talking 75 refrigerators......but thousands of them hitting the Earth!

BOOM!

"Thousands of refrigerators" has happen once in recorded history ... 4,000 years ... so, right, "very often" in geologic terms ... dozens and dozens of volcanoes more explosive in 4,000 years ...

I don't think a refrigerator size rock qualifies as an asteroid, but a meteroid

• Meteoroid: A “space rock”—a relatively small object traveling through space, between the size of a grain of dust and a small asteroid.
  • Meteor: A meteoroid that enters Earth’s atmosphere and burns up.
  • Meteorite: A meteoroid, especially one that has hit Earth’s surface.
  • Asteroid: A rocky object that orbits the sun and has an average size between a meteoroid and a planet

I'll buy that even though a planet has no particular size requirement. Since the word asteroid contains aster, which means star and roid means smaller remains of or came from, one interpretation of an asteroid is a star-like object as seen in a telescope (stellar point source giving off light) that indeed comes out as remaining smaller than a star (local, as in solar system object), though more technically, an asteroid should be able to be shown as belonging to or coming from the belt of rocky objects between Mars and Jupiter.

Perhaps a better word for this rock is a NEO.

I'll buy that even though a planet has no particular size requirement
They do. Pluto got demoted. It's now considered a dwarf planet. It is smaller than our moon. There are many others, including Ceres, Eris, Malemake, and Charon.

Asteroids are too small to be "perfectly" round. They don't have 3nough gravity.

They do. Pluto got demoted. It's now considered a dwarf planet. It is smaller than our moon.
Sorry, no. There is no size specification in defining a planet. Some planets like Pluto and Mercury are SMALLER than some of the Jovian moons!

e51aac932dbaa69ae96244760eb92757.jpg

There are many others, including Ceres, Eris, Malemake, and Charon.
Eris, Makemake are KBOs, not asteroids and Charon is a moon.

Asteroids are too small to be "perfectly" round. They don't have 3nough gravity.
1 Ceres is an asteroid and is perfectly round. Like I told you, position and function play a greater roll in defining their class than just mere size.

Fortunately it was probably as small as they can be and still be called an asteroid

Fridge-sized asteroid hit Earth two hours after first spotted: Nasa​

• Asteroid 2022 EB5 was around two metres long, a size Nasa said was ‘too small to pose a hazard to Earth’
  • Asteroid disintegrated over western Greenland or coast of Norway; people in Iceland saw bright flashes
No need for Bruce Willis then.

Sorry, no. There is no size specification in defining a planet. Some planets like Pluto and Mercury are SMALLER than some of the Jovian moons!

View attachment 622098

Eris, Makemake are KBOs, not asteroids and Charon is a moon.

1 Ceres is an asteroid and is perfectly round. Like I told you, position and function play a greater roll in defining their class than just mere size.
Sorry, but there is a size requirement. That's why I said asteroids are never spherical. They don't have the Mass. That is ONE requirement to be called a planet

It must also have a near circular orbit around the Sun. This is another reason Pluto is not currently considered a planet, but I think it should be

It must be big enough to have enough gravity to force it into a spherical shape. It must be big enough that its gravity cleared away any other objects of a similar size near its orbit around the Sun

Sorry, but there is a size requirement. That's why I said asteroids are never spherical. They don't have the Mass. That is ONE requirement to be called a planet
DA, you're arguing with the wrong person here, I almost became an astronomer as a career and still teach astronomy. The IAU defines what a planet is and size is not part of the definition.

But 1 Ceres is an asteroid but violates the roundness requirement as it is round.

It must also have a near circular orbit around the Sun. This is another reason Pluto is not currently considered a planet, but I think it should be
Pluto's shape played no factor in it being demoted to a Dwarf Planet or planetisimal.

It must be big enough to have enough gravity to force it into a spherical shape. It must be big enough that its gravity cleared away any other objects of a similar size near its orbit around the Sun
Yes that is part of the definition of a planet which is why both Pluto and 1 Ceres fail the test. They both fail to clear out their region even if Ceres happens to be round.

I believe the term is "hydrostatic equilibrium" ... the shape of a spinning water drop ... or spinning magma ... and I thought Ceres passed this test, and so th ethird test was added, clearing out the orbit, so to keep Ceres off the planet list ...

IAU had an agenda ... to end Pluto's reign of terror over the planetary science community ... to be a planet in THIS solar system ... buck-o ... you better orbit on the ecliptic ...

Forum List

Back