Ask a Catholic

Translation: There is no explanation that exists for how an infinite acting universe can create the cosmic background radiation.
Haha, and this is where you explain it. "Therefore, God" Good stuff as always, ding.

Just remember: you owe your morality more to where and when you were born than you do to your religion. Hopefully, anyway.
Actually, I do owe my philosophy and morality more to religion; also to fairy tales mythology, Aesop's fables, and Just So stories. Cheer up. Perhaps others fall into your box that morality relates more to where and when you were born.

coveting is a thought not an action

What is coveting? Got it. German word is "begehren". "Lust", "greed" could be better expression. That's more an absence of thoughts.

Stealing lying and killing are all actions

¿Lying? ... defamation is a better expression ...

believing in or not believing is thought based

What for heavens sake do you speak about when you speak about the 10 commandements? And sure everything what we notice from the reality are psychological structures - also pain, "the only thing that's real", how Johnny Cash sang - is "only" a psychological structure, which you all seem to call simplifying "thought based". It's in the opposite in case of belief. Thoughts (=Logic) are "axiomatic" = belief based. And in this case "thoughts" are also an element between human beings and not only within human beings.

the whole lords name in vain thing is a thought crime in that it makes speech a crime

Here the 10 commandements in an overview of wikipedia. I don't see a problem except that I prefer the expression "Thou shalt not kill" instead of "tou shalt not murder" because it is also possoible for example to "murder" an animal.

-----
1632755999506.png

-----

Last edited:
Much more ethical and complete. And really, you can thank superior, secular philosophy, which has displaced most of the iron age mythology that was one of our first and worst attempts at morality. You carry the same iron age handbook, yet your morals are far superior to a 13th century Christian. What changed? Not the Bible.... not the 10 commandments...

Scientific enlightenment, classical liberalism, and the re-emergence of Aristotelean and Hellenistic thought, after a millennium of being sequestered by religious jerkoffs. These are what you can thank for your modern, superior morality.

Sorry - but "enlightenment" (which had been in the beginning anything else than atheistic) bases on the Renaissance and the Renaissance bases on the Scholastic including philosophical Latin and Greek roots. Interesting in this context are specially the "Catholic" philosopher Aristotle and his Catholic "the interpreter" Averroes - a vandalian (=andalusian) philosopher. Aristotle had been a heathen and Averroes had been a Muslim. What means this today some hundred years later? This means that practically all modern universities all over the world today came out of this Catholic root.

Last edited:
1/12. What about the other 11/12?

Well, none of them existed, and the Gospels can't even agree on their names.

Was it Thaddeus or Jude?
Was it Bartholomew or Nathaniel?

John disagrees with the Synoptic Gospels (AKA Matthew and Luke cribbing off of Mark) on their names, and he only mentions four.

John also comes up with that doubting Thomas story.

Not to mention the apostles keep seeing Jesus perform magic tricks and keep doubting him.

Hey, maybe Judas was the good guy. He watched his group of buddies turning into a heretical cult, and tried to put a stop to it.

Actually, I am not afraid of dying. Don't want to do it anytime soon, but that is a fear I don't have. Why are you afraid of dying?

Um, because I'll cease to be. Now if I'm 80 and in constant pain, I might welcome the end.. right now, not so much. But if Heaven is so wonderful, you guys don't seem to be in any hurry to get there. In fact, you seem insistent on living longer, increasing your opportunities to sin and miss the boat.

She was ignorant. You don't have to remain so.

Actually, I've had discussions with theists for years. I have yet to find one who could come up with a more coherent reason why a supposedly good God would need to drown EVERY BABY IN THE WORLD.

Now, by Catholic High School, they were trying to push prosaic explanations for the flood, like it was only a local flood in Mesopotamia. But still totes true, you guys.

What is coveting? Got it. German word is "begehren". "Lust", "greed" could be better expression. That's more an absence of thoughts.

¿Lying? ... defamation is a better expression ...

What for heavens sake do you speak about when you speak about the 10 commandements? And sure everything what we notice from the reality are psychological structures - also pain, "the only thing that's real", how Johnny Cash sang - is "only" a psychological structure, which you all seem to call simplifying "thought based". It's in the opposite in case of belief. Thoughts (=Logic) are "axiomatic" = belief based. And in this case "thoughts" are also an element between human beings and not only within human beings.

Here the 10 commandements in an overview of wikipedia. I don't see a problem except that I prefer the expression "Thou shalt not kill" instead of "tou shalt not murder" because it is also possoible for example to "murder" an animal.

-----
View attachment 544431
-----

Coveting is jealousy.

Coveting is jealousy.

No. ... Or the word is wrongly used.

"Thou shalt not covete thy neighbors house, thy neighbors wife or his slaves, or his animals or anything of thy neighbor" is a problem of "Habgier" (German) ... one moment ... cupidity, greed.

That's by the way also a problem in context "war". War is an existential problem - and never someone should do a war on reason of greed or dominance or because he likes to rob or rape women.

Last edited:
In fact, the percentage of homosexual (not to mention pedophile) population in the Church is less than the percentage of the general population outside the Church. Further, the Church's approach to homosexuality is not "anti" but rather to work with them. That approach is that no one needs to act on every inclination we have. Adultery and sex outside of marriage are other examples of this. Also included are gluttony, sloth, etc.

Not worth living up to? We are beginning to see this in our public schools as well. Since too many are not doing well on SATs and PSATs, let's not require them. Also, we need to improve our numbers on high school graduation, so at least one state wants to drop the requirements on graduates mastering reading and writing just so the number of high school graduates rise.
Much of the church's male leadership are GAY GAY GAY....who target other males and male children for their sexual desires. (I define males sexually attacking male children as being gay----not hetero as the gay community has twisted things.) The Church's approach is to in public shun gays, while turning a blind eye to it happen among their leadership.

Actually, I owe my philosophy to episodes of Star Trek, but I don't pretend Kirk and Picard were real people.

You use a totally other word for "philosophy". Within this plays philosophy is not possible. The "philosophy" which creates Star Trek (or is used from Star Trek) is far from the actors and this entertainement. For example is the life in your science fiction films always a militaristic life - organized in ranks. And it exists not an equivalence to money - it exist no needs.

Well, none of them existed, and the Gospels can't even agree on their names.

Was it Thaddeus or Jude?

John disagrees with the Synoptic Gospels (AKA Matthew and Luke cribbing off of Mark) on their names, and he only mentions four.

John also comes up with that doubting Thomas story.

Not to mention the apostles keep seeing Jesus perform magic tricks and keep doubting him.

Hey, maybe Judas was the good guy. He watched his group of buddies turning into a heretical cult, and tried to put a stop to it.

Um, because I'll cease to be. Now if I'm 80 and in constant pain, I might welcome the end.. right now, not so much. But if Heaven is so wonderful, you guys don't seem to be in any hurry to get there. In fact, you seem insistent on living longer, increasing your opportunities to sin and miss the boat.

Actually, I've had discussions with theists for years.

And what do you think could for a so called "theist" - or an "a-atheist" (how I would call the people atheists often speak about) - be interesting to hear from you?

I have yet to find one who could come up with a more coherent reason why a supposedly good God would need to drown EVERY BABY IN THE WORLD.

Now, by Catholic High School, they were trying to push prosaic explanations for the flood, like it was only a local flood in Mesopotamia. But still totes true, you guys.

Much of the church's male leadership are GAY GAY GAY....who target other males and male children for their sexual desires. (I define males sexually attacking male children as being gay----not hetero as the gay community has twisted things.) The Church's approach is to in public shun gays, while turning a blind eye to it happen among their leadership.
1. Look up the statistics for yourself. You will find your "much" is a lesser percentage than the total population.

2. The Catholic Church does not shun gays--or anyone for that matter. We have this philosophy that sins are forgiven, repentance for the forgiveness of sins. "Catholic" means open and welcoming to everyone.

It seems you are interpreting Catholic teaching of marriage is between a man and a woman as "shunning gays".

Actually, I owe my philosophy to episodes of Star Trek, but I don't pretend Kirk and Picard were real people.
Grin. I don't think your problem is with pretending--it is with the denial of reality. ;)

Actually, I've had discussions with theists for years. I have yet to find one who could come up with a more coherent reason why a supposedly good God would need to drown EVERY BABY IN THE WORLD.
Denial. You and I have had this discussion many times. I brought in the science, the culture, the theme of the story--all for naught. You still believe the purpose of the story was God drowning babies. That's called straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel--and to this day you are still engorged with camel.

But if Heaven is so wonderful, you guys don't seem to be in any hurry to get there. In fact, you seem insistent on living longer, increasing your opportunities to sin and miss the boat.
A more significant number have no wish to live longer, just a naturally long life. There are many wonderful and beautiful places on this planet I would like to be, but for the time being this is where life is. We are enjoying our physical life--as we should, it is a great gift. Throwing a gift back into the face of the giver, or not using it properly, is considered rude. However, when we are called, we look forward to meeting the Giver of Life.

Was it Thaddeus or Jude?
I see you have never heard of a person being also called/known by a nickname or family name. How formal (also known as making a mountain out of a molehill).

Forum List

Back