Ask a Catholic

Of course you have
gave
no comment . You had your religious garbage bashed to pieces the other day.
Can't you see you have nothing but faith?

An unbelievable compliment - but you overestimate me. I'm an average Catholic - only one of a lot of people.

Why do you persist with the God garbage and produce nothing to support it? You appeared to be vaccinated with some holy water or something .
Grow up.

"Grow up" means what exactly?

Last edited:
The highest reason for religion (philosophy) is for it to be a guiding star amidst the chaos of life. People train and practice in being the best version of themselves and their ideals so that they can win out over chaos when it comes their way. No one shows up at the Olympics unprepared. If we don't show up for games unprepared, why face the challenges of life unprepared?

There is no problem with Christianity any more than there is a problem with any tool. Learn to use it properly and great things may be built. Use tools haphazardly, and at some point, what you built will fall apart.

Yeah, somehow, I don't think having a bunch of frustrated lesbians in habits traumatizing children is preparing them to be their "best".... don't even get me started on priests boning kids up the ass.

A bunch of backwards, bronze age superstitions doesn't prepare anyone for life, thanks.

The problem with organized religion is that you have a bunch of deluded people given power and using fear of death to impose their will on people. There's no situation where that EVER has good results, as 2000 years of crusades, inquisitions, etc. have shown.

Or as the great Roger Waters put it.

see an analyst - to have any hope at all for your feeble existence as it presently exists on planet Earth ...
Translation: There is no explanation that exists for how an infinite acting universe can create the cosmic background radiation.

Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Thoughts aren't crimes.

The problem with organized religion is that you have a bunch of deluded people given power and using fear of death to impose their will on people. There's no situation where that EVER has good results, as 2000 years of crusades, inquisitions, etc. have shown.
Joe, we will never agree on the value of religion. One-twelfth of Jesus' apostles went wrong, and your mission has always been to follow the Judas with the argument that Judas makes the other eleven wrong-doers as well. Add this to the fact that the eleven had their faults as well, and here comes the smug assurance that you, JoeB have assessed the situation correctly.

You fit in with 49ers who only found mud and sweat, perhaps a little fools gold, or those who spent their lives in harsh weather conditions smelling of fish and clams without ever finding a pearl. Because of this you are vehemently against those searching for gold and pearls, and are even more vehemently angry at those who succeeded. You even argue that gold and pearls are worthless in any event.

A bunch of backwards, bronze age superstitions doesn't prepare anyone for life, thanks.

Perhaps you should assess all that the Bronze age brought to civilization before sneering at our ancestors.

Thoughts aren't crimes.
Yet in Post #506 it was you who introduced the concept of "Thought crimes". Now you say thoughts aren't crimes. I happen to agree. However, Frank Outlaw's observation on watching one's thoughts has value. Christ said the same thing--that sin begins with thoughts.

Thoughts aren't crimes in and of themselves. They are simply the first step that can lead to crime, which is why it is only good advice to watch one's thoughts and what is occurring in one's own heart.

What did you mean by "thought crimes" followed by "thoughts aren't crimes"?

Yet in Post #506 it was you who introduced the concept of "Thought crimes". Now you say thoughts aren't crimes. I happen to agree. However, Frank Outlaw's observation on watching one's thoughts has value. Christ said the same thing--that sin begins with thoughts.

Thoughts aren't crimes in and of themselves. They are simply the first step that can lead to crime, which is why it is only good advice to watch one's thoughts and what is occurring in one's own heart.

What did you mean by "thought crimes" followed by "thoughts aren't crimes"?
The 10 commandments clearly state what your god considered crimes and most of them are about thoughts not action. I do not believe thoughts are crimes that in no way means I cannot use the term.

The 10 commandments clearly state what your god considered crimes

Which version? The first version or the second version? Looks like the son of the Pharao got the laws. Came down from the mountain with them. Was upset. Destroyed the laws. Broke them. Went back to the mountain and came back with the same or a new version.

and most of them are about thoughts not action.

Only one of them is about 'thoughts': "Honour thy father and thy mother".
Or perhaps two? "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy"

All others are conrete actions.

I do not believe thoughts are crimes that in no way means I cannot use the term.

Last edited:
The 10 commandments clearly state what your god considered crimes and most of them are about thoughts not action. I do not believe thoughts are crimes that in no way means I cannot use the term.
The Ten Commandments, which you are apparently comparing to "Law" as defined in modern English to the Hebrew "Halakha". Remember, Hebrew is not a subjective language, but one of pictures. In translations into other languages, "Halakha" doesn't convey the true picture, which is, "A way of walking; a way of behaving." As you see, God offered a way of walking, a way of behaving.

Of course you can use the term "thought crimes". I am simply pointing out that it inaccurately portrays the Ten Commandments. You can walk in the way of the Ten Commandments. Or not. Up to you.

Which version? The first version or the second version? Looks like the son of the Pharao got the laws. Came down from the mountain with them. Was upset. Destroyed the laws. Broke them. Went back to the mountain and came back with the same or a new version.

Only one of them is about 'thoughts': "Honour thy father and thy mother".
Or perhaps two? "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy"

All others are conrete actions.
coveting is a thought not an action

Stealing lying and killing are all actions

believing in or not believing is thought based

the whole lords name in vain thing is a thought crime in that it makes speech a crime

The Ten Commandments, which you are apparently comparing to "Law" as defined in modern English to the Hebrew "Halakha". Remember, Hebrew is not a subjective language, but one of pictures. In translations into other languages, "Halakha" doesn't convey the true picture, which is, "A way of walking; a way of behaving." As you see, God offered a way of walking, a way of behaving.

Of course you can use the term "thought crimes". I am simply pointing out that it inaccurately portrays the Ten Commandments. You can walk in the way of the Ten Commandments. Or not. Up to you.

Our laws specifically against theft and murder and to a lesser degree lying are not based on the the 10 commandments because they all predate the bible.

Our laws specifically against theft and murder and to a lesser degree lying are not based on the the 10 commandments because they all predate the bible.
I learned that as a little kid. In Catholic school. When did you first become aware of it? And where?

I learned that as a little kid. In Catholic school. When did you first become aware of it? And where?
Maybe you should tell other Christians that because it's brought up here quite often.

The implication being that if you don't believe in a god that you cannot have morals

Maybe you should tell other Christians that because it's brought up here quite often.

The implication being that if you don't believe in a god that you cannot have morals
I have been here for seven years, and I have noted this many times. Just as often, I have noted that atheists have fine morals. (There have always been atheists in my family; I have many atheist friends.)

Replacement theology. The Catholics have tried to usurp the Jews as God's chosen.
Christ will be residing in Jerusalem, not the Vatican when he returns...

to what ram, the triumph of good or evil - with either there is no reason for an extended stay.

more important is simply will there be the prescribed religion of antiquity correctly concluded or the sinning desert religions - whether they return or not. for final judgement as a happy ending.

Joe, we will never agree on the value of religion. One-twelfth of Jesus' apostles went wrong, and your mission has always been to follow the Judas with the argument that Judas makes the other eleven wrong-doers as well. Add this to the fact that the eleven had their faults as well, and here comes the smug assurance that you, JoeB have assessed the situation correctly.

Actually, I don't think Jesus, Judas or the Apostles ever existed. What I do see is in the 2000 year history of your church, you've had inquisitions, crusades, burning of witches, defense and proliferation of slavery, oppression of women, abuse of children and a bunch of other totally messed up stuff.

Religion has power because you are afraid of dying. I'm afraid of dying. We are all afraid of dying. I get it. But giving power to a bunch of pious frauds isn't going to solve that, so I refuse to go along.

Still wish I had punched that Nun at my mom's funeral, that (word I can't say on USMB).

You fit in with 49ers who only found mud and sweat, perhaps a little fools gold, or those who spent their lives in harsh weather conditions smelling of fish and clams without ever finding a pearl. Because of this you are vehemently against those searching for gold and pearls, and are even more vehemently angry at those who succeeded. You even argue that gold and pearls are worthless in any event.

Naw, I never went looking for Bronze Age fairy tales to be imposed on me, that's the thing. I was born into a Catholic family, had 12 years of Catholic stupidity imposed on me, and simply couldn't get away from it fast enough. And frankly, I probably wouldn't have a problem with you people if you didn't keep trying to impose yourselves on the rest of us, like the Texas Taliban.

I've said, I started to question the bullshit at a pretty young age, like when Sr. Mary Butch claimed that it was okay for God to drown every baby in the world because they were WIIIICCKKKED!!!!

Perhaps you should assess all that the Bronze age brought to civilization before sneering at our ancestors.

Actually, you are right. Christianity brought us the Dark Ages... the first "Faith-Based Initiative". The Pagan Romans had it dicked, they had an awesome civilization. Art, literature, Science, medicine, and then the Christians came along and fucked it all up.

Actually, I don't think Jesus, Judas or the Apostles ever existed. What I do see is in the 2000 year history of your church, you've had inquisitions, crusades, burning of witches, defense and proliferation of slavery, oppression of women, abuse of children and a bunch of other totally messed up stuff.
1/12. What about the other 11/12?

Religion has power because you are afraid of dying. I'm afraid of dying. We are all afraid of dying. I get it. But giving power to a bunch of pious frauds isn't going to solve that, so I refuse to go along.
Actually, I am not afraid of dying. Don't want to do it anytime soon, but that is a fear I don't have. Why are you afraid of dying?

I've said, I started to question the bullshit at a pretty young age, like when Sr. Mary Butch claimed that it was okay for God to drown every baby in the world because they were WIIIICCKKKED!!!!
She was ignorant. You don't have to remain so.

This is not a specific example.
I was not asked for anything specific. Regardless, I would rather watch paint dry than watch an apologist try to equivocate away the immoral bits of the Bible, while duplicitously arguing the better, modern, secular replacements (say, gay marriage) are not so great after all. Nothing personal.

Just remember: you owe your morality more to where and when you were born than you do to your religion. Hopefully, anyway.

Forum List

Back