Ask a Catholic

1. Look up the statistics for yourself. You will find your "much" is a lesser percentage than the total population.

2. The Catholic Church does not shun gays--or anyone for that matter. We have this philosophy that sins are forgiven, repentance for the forgiveness of sins. "Catholic" means open and welcoming to everyone.

It seems you are interpreting Catholic teaching of marriage is between a man and a woman as "shunning gays".

really -

1632844931082.png

what's a little fib by a sinner ... and easy as pie - historical revisionism ... why look back.

Much of the church's male leadership are GAY GAY GAY....who target other males and male children for their sexual desires. (I define males sexually attacking male children as being gay----not hetero as the gay community has twisted things.) The Church's approach is to in public shun gays, while turning a blind eye to it happen among their leadership.

You kind of put me in the rare situation of defending the RCC, something I don't like to do.

First, people who molest children aren't gay... they're pedophiles. A completely different sexual pathology.

Second, a lot of Catholic priests molest girls. Especially outside the US.

Now, yes, a large part of the problem before the gay liberation movement is that the Catholic Church DID encourage gay people to join the Holy Orders. Funny after it became more acceptable to be gay, people stopped doing that, to where nuns and priests have sharply declined.

But people who are pedophiles are going to become priests or teachers or day care workers because that's where they can get easy access to children. Of course, most children are molested by family members, not strangers.

Grin. I don't think your problem is with pretending--it is with the denial of reality.

To paraphrase Jean-Luc, "I refuse to believe the universe is that badly designed" to have the savage Yahweh be the Supreme Being.

And half of humanity doesn't believe he is. Which means they are all going to Hell for being born in the wrong part of the world.

Of course, my biggest fear is that the Shintoists are correct, Amaterasu is the Supreme Being, and she wants to have a word with me about my Asian Chick fetish...

Denial. You and I have had this discussion many times. I brought in the science, the culture, the theme of the story--all for naught. You still believe the purpose of the story was God drowning babies. That's called straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel--and to this day you are still engorged with camel.

Actually, the theme of the story was God wanted to kill all of humanity because people were evil, so his go to was to kill everyone, including ALL OF THE BABIES, and it turned out, he didn't put an end to evil anyway. Evil kept being a thing.

Now, yes, this is a myth, even though it's in a holy book. The stuff with the talking snake is a myth. But you can't build faith on a myth.

A more significant number have no wish to live longer, just a naturally long life. There are many wonderful and beautiful places on this planet I would like to be, but for the time being this is where life is. We are enjoying our physical life--as we should, it is a great gift. Throwing a gift back into the face of the giver, or not using it properly, is considered rude. However, when we are called, we look forward to meeting the Giver of Life.

But the point is, you probably aren't going to see most of them in person, are you? Most of us will spend our lives toiling away at a thankless job making someone else rich so they can fly into space on Dick-rockets. Religion is the tool to help that, of course, they make us all content and afraid. Religion has always been the tool of the rich to keep the poor in line.

I see you have never heard of a person being also called/known by a nickname or family name. How formal (also known as making a mountain out of a molehill).

Not at all... these are details that they should have gotten right, if there actually were real people involved.. The Gospels contradict each other on a lot of details, like when Jesus was born, why his parents were in Bethlehem, who his ancestors were (both traced through Joseph, who was not the father, as Maury would say)

This indicates a work of fiction, NOT a work of history.

prove matter and energy have ever not existed ... good luck.

That's a conclusion out of the theory of relativity which had been tested in many many ways and which was never proven wrong. And what's not wrong is true.

In general is "truth" in natural science not directly comparable with truth in mathematics, philosophy and religion. Example "The universe is 13.8 billion years old." is today our knowledge. A short time ago it had been 13.7 billion years - the last approximation "13.8 billion years" was a side effect when they found the "god-damned" Higgs-particle in Cern.

And before this had been existed a long row of other approximations which had started once when a priests asked the first time "How many years was it exactly when god had created the world"? Today atheists laugh about the answer "6000 years" from this stupid Christian - Whatelse than stupid Christians could be? - but what the most people don't see is that he creatd a new form of question in his time of history. He was not satisfied any longer with a qualitiative answer - he liked to get a quantitative answer. So he was an early genius who established a new form to think.

But is the world, the universe, really 13.8 billion years old? What will be the next approximation? ... Hmmm ... It could be for example the universe is "only" 12.4 billion years old - what is imaginable when the universe had been fluid for some time. This sounds absurde - but it had been the only possbity which made somehow sense in plausible speculations about an early form of dark energy. We still don't know whether this idea could be really true - but if it is true then the universe would be 12.4 billion years old. Nevertheless: If you ask me or anyone else "How old is the universe" then you will get the answer "13.8 billion years", because this is what we know today.

cyclical transfer is nothing new to the universe, been happening for all eternity ... thx.
Paired production of particles isn't a cyclical transfer (which is something you made up). It is matter being created from nothing.

The cosmic background radiation is evidence for a whole lot of matter being created from nothing. Which is why you keep avoiding discussing it.

And half of humanity doesn't believe he is. Which means they are all going to Hell for being born in the wrong part of the world.
As you have claimed many times to have been raised Catholic, you know this is not Catholic teaching.

Actually, the theme of the story was God wanted to kill all of humanity because people were evil, so his go to was to kill everyone, including ALL OF THE BABIES, and it turned out, he didn't put an end to evil anyway. Evil kept being a thing.
For the nth time: The flood was a natural disaster. Noah's story was not even the first account written, and it was written well after the flood. The people of that time attributed all weather and natural disasters to God, meaning that up to that day, they believed God was blessing them with good weather. Now we go to their hindsight--because bad times always has humans reflecting on what led to these times and how they might have done better.

People of the day also believed words have power, and that they were to watch their words. Notice the two ways Noah is introduced: He is righteous and he does not say one word while he was building the ark or even while he was on the ark. He is quiet...until he curses one of his sons and once again strife and division have entered the world--not because of God, but because of (or through) man. The theme is that if ever we have a chance to start anew, we should start by watching our words.

Also, do you find it as interesting as I that you have so much of Adam (man) in your make-up--i.e., finding someone else to blame?

Now, yes, this is a myth, even though it's in a holy book. The stuff with the talking snake is a myth. But you can't build faith on a myth.
Didn't your Catholic school teach forms of literature in when you were in about the seventh grade (and higher)? Just So stories, myths, fables, drama, poetry, biography, history, law...and each comes with a theme or lesson. Faith is built on these lessons.

It appears you paid about as much attention in your English and history classes as you did in religion. ;)

But the point is, you probably aren't going to see most of them in person, are you? Most of us will spend our lives toiling away at a thankless job making someone else rich so they can fly into space on Dick-rockets. Religion is the tool to help that, of course, they make us all content and afraid. Religion has always been the tool of the rich to keep the poor in line.
I have loved every job I had, and looking back, I wouldn't have traded in a one, although each has had its few down times as well. Such is life. I have always had enough to support myself, but then I stopped well short of rockets, the most expensive food, clothing, housing, vacations. Living simply suits me well.

On the other hand, philosophically, I abhor corporations--big business, big government which seems to be where wealth is found. In small businesses, small government, the workers know their clients as individuals--not as the great unwashed. Biblical people had it right--small farms, not big cities, made for higher moral standards and a greater sense of welcome among the community.

It is not religion that keeps people in line. It is those who insist we follow big government and big business corporations, their laws, rules, regulations--down to the point if they tell us to get a shot, we are to happily stand in line. No parish in which I have ever lived has ever burdened me the way government and corporations have.

Not at all... these are details that they should have gotten right, if there actually were real people involved.. The Gospels contradict each other on a lot of details, like when Jesus was born, why his parents were in Bethlehem, who his ancestors were (both traced through Joseph, who was not the father, as Maury would say)

This indicates a work of fiction, NOT a work of history.
Could it be because (gasp) the authors of the Gospels were not historians? They were simple people who had a story to tell. There were many witnesses, and as we all know, when there are many witnesses we get the event from many angles and perspectives. The Gospels are exactly what we expect when researching any life with any thoroughness.

As you have claimed many times to have been raised Catholic, you know this is not Catholic teaching.

Funny thing, I actually did ask one of the fat pedophiles if Non-Catholic Christians were going to hell, and he wouldn't even commit to that not being the case.

For the nth time: The flood was a natural disaster. Noah's story was not even the first account written, and it was written well after the flood. The people of that time attributed all weather and natural disasters to God, meaning that up to that day, they believed God was blessing them with good weather. Now we go to their hindsight--because bad times always has humans reflecting on what led to these times and how they might have done better.

There are people TODAY who think natural disasters are the work of God. Like the Fundy assholes who think that AIDS is God's revenge on homos. The question here isn't whether or not God is responsible for disasters, it's what kind of God drowns babies or lets babies get AIDS.

People of the day also believed words have power, and that they were to watch their words. Notice the two ways Noah is introduced: He is righteous and he does not say one word while he was building the ark or even while he was on the ark. He is quiet...until he curses one of his sons and once again strife and division have entered the world--not because of God, but because of (or through) man. The theme is that if ever we have a chance to start anew, we should start by watching our words.

Actually, looking at that story, NOah is the one who got Drunk off his ass, poor Ham just wandered in on him. So Noah cursed Ham's son to justify the Hebrews abusing his ancestors.

One of the justifications for racism in this country. Black people descended from Ham... Your Fucked Up Fairy Tales are still having an effect.

Also, do you find it as interesting as I that you have so much of Adam (man) in your make-up--i.e., finding someone else to blame?

Since you brought it up... God created the Tree. God put the tree in the garden. God put that stupid rib-woman in the garden with him. God let the talking snake trick people. (Again, Talking Snakes!!! Snicker)

God in that story has the ethics of a Comic Book Villain.

Didn't your Catholic school teach forms of literature in when you were in about the seventh grade (and higher)? Just So stories, myths, fables, drama, poetry, biography, history, law...and each comes with a theme or lesson. Faith is built on these lessons.

It appears you paid about as much attention in your English and history classes as you did in religion.

They weren't taught as "literature", they were taught as the TRUTH. Sister Mary Butch thought those babies totally deserved to be drowned!!!!

Could it be because (gasp) the authors of the Gospels were not historians? They were simple people who had a story to tell. There were many witnesses, and as we all know, when there are many witnesses we get the event from many angles and perspectives. The Gospels are exactly what we expect when researching any life with any thoroughness.

Except the Church holds that the Gospels were written by people who knew Jesus personally or were associated with people who knew Jesus personally. You know, not guys making stuff up.

I have loved every job I had, and looking back, I wouldn't have traded in a one, although each has had its few down times as well. Such is life. I have always had enough to support myself, but then I stopped well short of rockets, the most expensive food, clothing, housing, vacations. Living simply suits me well.

You are missing the point about Dick Rockets. The problem was the Amazon workers slaved away at shit wages, were told they were essential workers during TRUMP PLAGUE(TM), and instead of giving them bonuses for a job well done, Bezos decided to take five billion and fly into space for like 10 seconds on a Dick-Shaped Rocket. I can't think of a better metaphor for capitalism.

On the other hand, philosophically, I abhor corporations--big business, big government which seems to be where wealth is found. In small businesses, small government, the workers know their clients as individuals--not as the great unwashed. Biblical people had it right--small farms, not big cities, made for higher moral standards and a greater sense of welcome among the community.
Yeah, here's the thing. I like having big government that organizes things. I like the fact that I don't have a life expectancy of 50 or a 50% child mortality rate like they had before big government and big health care.

It is not religion that keeps people in line. It is those who insist we follow big government and big business corporations, their laws, rules, regulations--down to the point if they tell us to get a shot, we are to happily stand in line. No parish in which I have ever lived has ever burdened me the way government and corporations have.

No, the Parish just tells you to give them money or you will go to Hell Forever and Ever, because God needs money.

Funny thing, I actually did ask one of the fat pedophiles if Non-Catholic Christians were going to hell, and he wouldn't even commit to that not being the case.
It is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Either you are greatly exaggerating your stories, or some bishop truly disliked your parish and sent all the ignorant and all the misfits there. I am leaning towards the former.

There are people TODAY who think natural disasters are the work of God. Like the Fundy assholes who think that AIDS is God's revenge on homos. The question here isn't whether or not God is responsible for disasters, it's what kind of God drowns babies or lets babies get AIDS.
And you focus on them instead of scholars in history, culture, languages, and theology?

Forum List

Back