Armed Security on Campus

Well, please tell me....

You're a teacher in a school...you hear gunshots. Who are you going to call?
Fucking nobody. I'm going to die. Just like Sandy Hook. Just like Parkland. Just like yesterday.

There is no "Call" - if you are unlucky enough to have it be your school - then you're dead meat.

Welcome to America.

The person would shoot out a window and climb in that way. Stop being an idiot and making up dumbass arguments like "A steel door oughtta do the trick!"

And he could scale the roof and drop in like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible.

Tell me what is the first place any idiot tries first to get into a building?

They Try the fucking door.

All the windows in a school are tempered glass by code. All that would have to be done is to add a couple layers of laminate to the widows

I have come to the conclusion that you aren't trying to be stupid and that it just comes naturally

School districts need to share ideas that do work in managing these situations prior to them ever becoming an event.
Some require more resources, but more than that, the development of procedures along with limitations on access into the building.

One way you can tell if your school district is serious about protecting the students is how they approach the issue.
Policies should start outside the building and work inwards, and emphasis should be put on establishing situation awareness (staff) prior to remedial actions (classroom).

The policies, protections, awareness, and proper implementation with reinforcement and follow-up can make a difference in the
environment and in regards to the teachers, students and administrators.

I could add that our schools here have a Resource Officer (sheriff's deputy) in the parking lot ... And one inside the school.
The Principle at the Upper Elementary School also did what was necessary to get qualified and approved to carry (by the School Board).
He stores the firearm in his office and doesn't open carry unless he needs to go check out someone not wearing photo identification

There are ways to secure a location ... And develop an environment that does support better safety protocols.
You don't even have to turn your schools into a prison doing so, just better training and sharing better ideas.

Well, federal grants to districts to hire ex/off duty LEOs, retired military, and other trained people would be a good start in my book. Is it the best idea? Nope. It's the proverbial reasonable response to an unreasonable situation. Hell, we're $20T in debt already, 13,800 school districts. $200K per district. Its $2B and some change. Chicken feed.

The difference between having a cop show up is that they may not have ever been to that school. A trained, experienced officer who has been there at the school for months if not years....can become aware of who is supposed to be there, who looks out of place, what classrooms are empty perhaps...

I dunno. It's not great but it's better than nothing.

If people can just walk in there was no security.

An unlocked door is no security

Here ... You literally cannot get into the school (during the day) unless you are buzzed in by a staff member who can see you from all angles.

Well, federal grants to districts to hire ex/off duty LEOs, retired military, and other trained people would be a good start in my book. Is it the best idea? Nope. It's the proverbial reasonable response to an unreasonable situation. Hell, we're $20T in debt already, 13,800 school districts. $200K per district. Its $2B and some change. Chicken feed.

The difference between having a cop show up is that they may not have ever been to that school. A trained, experienced officer who has been there at the school for months if not years....can become aware of who is supposed to be there, who looks out of place, what classrooms are empty perhaps...

I dunno. It's not great but it's better than nothing.

Where people put their emphasis at the ballot box makes the same difference.

If the district where you live cannot support the proper protections ...
If the school board you have won't take proper measures ...
If the people in charge of the purse strings cannot find the money they need because safety is not their priority ...

Fire them the next time you vote ... :thup:

PS ... UCLA Berkley handles over $2 billion in tuition and grants every semester.

The last thing teachers need is to be saddled with the responsibility of being armed security, on top of everything else.

The other last thing teachers need is for there to be a firearm in the classroom. Videos of students sucker-punching teachers are freely available on YouTube; the idea that even one in ten of those included an easily-reachable handgun is horrifying.
Obviously guns cannot be available in black schools. It would have to be an armed officer.

Here the Resource Officers are all Sheriff's Deputies and they are on duty when at the school.
While there is a Commander of Resource Officers, the actual deputy may vary.

This is specifically to combat your concerns about awareness.
The students and teachers meet the deputies in a normal setting, and develop rapport regularly.
The deputies learn the staff and meet the people they will deal with for as long as they are on the force, when those people are children.

Everyone has a school issued photo identification they wear in plain sight.
All venders, contract workers, visitors and volunteers are issued a temporary ID, peel and stick over your heart, just printed out when they came through the door
complete with photo taken by the computer where they signed into the school and will sign out when leaving, ... And it is bright yellow.

If you don't recognize someone and they don't have a bright yellow sticker over their heart ... They are a possible threat, and will be addressed.
It doesn't have to be difficult ... And it can be managed ... Just share the ideas that work.

Last edited:
Far more depraved..."I'm not going to call anyone, I'm just going to die"...that is what you wrote.

Are you actually sitting here and crying at me for telling the truth? This is America.

If a shooter comes to your school, you're already dead. Either that or you will live but have psychological trauma for the rest of your life from the screams of school children and the sounds of gunfire. You will wake up in a cold sweat the rest of your life to dreams of those screams.

If that makes you sad, I am sorry brochowder. This is the country you live in - Guns are worth more to our politicians than children. Period.

Is it better that they attack somewhere else? Is it not better to address the reasons why things like this happen as opposed to addressing where they happen?

I’d love to discuss why it happened but the anti- gun fanatics are blaming people who didn’t do anything….

That, once again is being ignored.

Easier to blame the gun than deal with what about our society and social construct is creating in our youth that didn't exist fourty years ago.

As expected…. The killer was known to both the school and police….he had violent assaults against other students, allegedly self mutilated himself …

Another killer well known before the attack

Forum List

Back