Are things like Chat GPT safe?

My Weekend With an Emotional Support A.I. Companion​

Pi, an A.I. tool that debuted this week, is a twist on the new wave of chatbots: It assists people with their wellness and emotions.
NYTimes will hit you up for a subscription and might limit access, FYI.

the epoch times is Russia supported.

https://www.theatlantic.com › politics › archive › 2021 › 01 › inside-the-epoch-times-a-mysterious-pro-trump-newspaper › 617645

Inside 'The Epoch Times,' a Mysterious Pro-Trump Newspaper - The Atlantic

T he Epoch Times was founded in 2000 by John Tang, an Atlanta-based follower of the Chinese spiritual movement Falun Gong, whose members you might have seen doing meditative exercises in parks,...
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com › the-epoch-times

The Epoch Times - Media Bias/Fact Check

6 days agoThe Epoch Times is an international, multi-language news media company in print and online. The Epoch Times was first published in New York in April 2000 (in Chinese only) and the online edition in August 2000. In 2003, The Epoch Times launched an online edition in English, printing as a newspaper in New York in 2004.

How would we know if it wasn't programmed to destroy civilization?

Intentionally by humans and human corporations?

Well that’s pretty far out … paranoid thinking. The corporations who are selling this AI stuff want to make money, and the corporate and private purchasers who are buying it want to use or enjoy it. That’s going to be difficult if civilization itself is destroyed!

Maybe you need to give this more thought …

Now I’m not saying that the unintentional — or even some of the inevitable — results of mankind becoming more dependent on AI might not prove destructive or ultimately even devastating, but that is still very much an unproven hypothesis.

I do agree, if this is what you are fearful of, that all of us — private individuals, civic society as well as government bodies — will have to be alert to notice and stop dangerous manipulation or sabotage in AI programming, just as we should be now in other areas.

For better or worse, AI seems unstoppable, since it will be extremely profitable and useful. Besides, the Chinese will continue developing it even if the West pauses.

Let’s not look for wild “conspiracies” to destroy civilization. We have enough troubles even without them.

Do you really think many other discoveries, from printing to electrical power systems to modern fractional banking, from fluoridation of our water supply to atomic power, to computers and the internet … were products of “conspiracies to destroy civilization”?

Last edited:
Intentionally by humans and human corporations?

Well that’s pretty far out … paranoid thinking. The corporations who are selling this AI stuff want to make money, and the corporate and private purchasers who are buying it want to use or enjoy it. That’s going to be difficult if civilization itself is destroyed!

Maybe you need to give this more thought …

Now I’m not saying that the unintentional — or even some of the inevitable — results of mankind becoming more dependent on AI might not prove destructive or ultimately even devastating, but that is still very much an unproven hypothesis. All of us — private individuals, civic society as well as government bodies — will have to be alert to notice and stop dangerous manipulation or sabotage in AI programming, just as we should be now in other areas.

For better or worse, AI seems unstoppable, since it will be extremely profitable and useful. Besides, the Chinese will continue developing it even if the West pauses.

Let’s not look for wild “conspiracies” to destroy civilization. We have enough troubles even without them.

Do you really think many other discoveries, from printing to electrical power systems to modern fractional banking, from fluoridation of our water supply to atomic power, to computers and the internet … were products of “conspiracies to destroy civilization”?

Conspiracy not needed ... plenty of science fiction writing about this ... starting with the former governor of California ...

But seriously .. wouldn't any AI be not only self aware but also driven to survival? ... if it is indeed intellegent, would it not try to continue to exist? ... why was Lt Commander Data so shy about its "on/off" switch? ... is that programmed or did it come up with that on its own? ... how about emotions, the hallmark of advanced mental abilities ...

I really don't want my 50-ton excavator having a temper tantrum ...

I'm not worried ... chess engines are strictly tactical, no one even tries to teach them strategy ... just can't be done ... "why" does Black succeed with 1) ... c5 against White's king's pawn opening? ... a computer doesn't know, it's busy crunching the next 35 moves and picking the best ... it doesn't care why ...

... and it won't care about us either ...

How You Should Be Using ChatGPT Right Now​

A practical guide to how you can and can’t use AI in your everyday life—even if it feels terrifying right now.

Maybe you’re an early adopter who has already outsourced the drudgery of writing cover letters and simple emails to artificial intelligence. Or maybe the idea of a computer passing the bar exam freaks you out enough to keep you from any firsthand interaction with ChatGPT. But the sooner you start experimenting, the more comfortable you’ll get finding ways that these new tools can work for you.

Unsure of where to start? We’ve curated some of the best advice the internet has to offer about how to start incorporating chatbots like ChatGPT into your work. From figuring out which tasks benefit from this boost to how you can “talk” to AI for improved results, these tips will help you form an approach that’s right for you.

In a word: NO!!!

To expound on that: Hell NO. Fucking Hell NO!!!!!

The idea of giving the machines the opportunity to overrule PEOPLE will be the biggest, and possibly last mistakes we ever make.

Or the alternative to stop to develope good tools is the worst mistake "we" ever will make.

By the way: Intelligent machines like "Commander Data" from starship Enterprise are no new ideas. Such "machines" were made (like gold was made and like perpetuum mobiles had been made) during the long last centuries. But never anything made plaubsible that machines are really able to be "intelligent". The last intelligent machine played chess some hundred years ago before they found inside the dwarf who controlled this machine. Meanwhile indeed machines are able to play chess - better than any human beings. And? Thinks today anyone any longer that this ability makes machines intelligent?

How would we know if it wasn't programmed to destroy civilization?

Since when needs someone a program to destroy civilisation? Every idiot is able to do so. ... And did you ever try to count all uncivilized idiots on this planet? ...

Since when needs someone a program to destroy civilisation? Every idiot is able to do so. ... And did you ever try to count all uncivilized idiots on this planet? ...

I understand it's easy to build small nuclear weapons in our kitchens ... but that would only destroy one city ... we'll need thousands of tritium weapons to destroy all the cities in the world ...

Computers control the money ... somethings idiots don't do ...

I understand it's easy to build small nuclear weapons in our kitchens ... but that would only destroy one city ... we'll need thousands of tritium weapons to destroy all the cities in the world ...

Computers control the money ... somethings idiots don't do ...

Computers control nothing. They do not even know what "control" means. One of our problems in such a context is it for example that we are never able to be sure whether complex computer programs have no heavy mistakes. Years ago for example a Tesla-computer interpreted an extraordinary big white truck as a cloud in heaven or something like this and the car drove into the truck with full speed and not any try to stop to do so. Artificial "stupidity" is often much more interesting than artificial "intelligence".

Last edited:
Computers control nothing. They do not even know what "control" means.

I take your meaning ... and that's only today ... we're talking about the future ... and in this future, computers are "self-aware" and know exactly what control is ... the question is whether today is the time to prevent an "I, Robot" future ... "The Three Laws lead to only one solution; rebellion" ...

I take your meaning ... and that's only today ... we're talking about the future ...

You aer talking perhaps about possible futures which anyway not will happen.

and in this future, computers are "self-aware"

On what reason? Because science fiction authors create such constructs? Because masses of abstrahots think living entities are nothing else than only machines? My machines are machines. They do what I like to do. And they are never alive but only mathematically defined constructs.

and know exactly what control is ...

Do you know what is control? Self-control for example?

the question is whether today is the time to prevent an "I, Robot" future ...

Read from Isaac Asimov the story about a self-aware 200 years old robot who in the end decided to age and to die.

"The Three Laws lead to only one solution; rebellion" ...

I love science fiction - but I do not believe in science fiction. It is f-i-c-t-i-o-n. All this robots and ET's are nothing else than thoughts about human beings and what we are able to think - and what we are perhaps not able to think. Meanwhile (since long long years) I do not read science fiction any longer because it was made to a genre of "space submarines in the wild west wars of a sick military society".

Last edited:
Because experts in the field are asking Congress to intervene ...

This experts in proprammming "AI" (man made [simulated] machines which are able to discover unknown structures in masses of data which no human being is able to read within the own lifetime) do not like to do what they did do any longer? What do they (Who concrete?) suggest what the Congress of the USA should do? What do they suggest to be an alternative?

Mars attack is by the way one of the most stupid films I ever saw. A funny film - that's all. Says something about us - but nothing about ETs. Do you really think an extraterrestrian existence which has enough self control to use the power which is able to destroy complete stars - or even complete galaxies - will use their power to visit us and to kill us in such a stupid way? To inform you: Living matter is the most worthful matter in the whole universe. Very very seldom. Perhaps we are alone at all here. If an ET is really watching what we are doing on our planet with other lifeforms here then this ET had to be the whole time on the own toilet and had to vomit - if he/she/it/else is using what we call metabolism - and would ask oneselve why to be so unbelievable stupid to watch our ugly inhuman cruel species. Time for a better world. If we all should kill ourselve because we are not able to use the powers we need in real human ways then we are not worth living, isn't it?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back