Are robot fast food joints the result of Californias 20$ an hour minimum wage?

No.
It has nothing to do with the hourly wage but does have to do with pure greed.
Years ago, and for several years, BK took out the grill and was microwaving precooked burgers. The burgers could have been replaced with wet paper towels. Had nothing to do with wages and ended up costing them market share.

Under capitalism quality and customer service are subservient to the bottom line.
They'd be doing this anyway.
BK might have toyed with the idea at a few locations as a trial

But I doubt even that

This is most likely fake news

The left loves to hate capitalism in favor of some form of marxism

But capitalism has been spectacularly good for the human condition

BK might have toyed with the idea at a few locations as a trial

But I doubt even that

This is most likely fake news

The left loves to hate capitalism in favor of some form of marxism

But capitalism has been spectacularly good for the human condition
Got Google?

Geez, with just a little effort you would appear less ill informed.

Want capitalism? Cool.

Under capitalism capital is collected and used as a source to build business.
So we presume you're a strong union supporter as well.
Since, unions are just the flip side of capitalism.

Got Google?

Geez, with just a little effort you would appear less ill informed.

Want capitalism? Cool.

Under capitalism capital is collected and used as a source to build business.
One worker at one BK location does not suitably condemn all of capitalism

1708010937083.png

I saw this fast food place talking about it's robot staff.

He claims it's because of dangerous jobs like using the grill and fryer, but in the video also says he can't find employees.

Personally I'd wager it's due to the minimum wage hike for fast food workers. Anyone that runs a business knows employees are your biggest expense.

Sure those robots aren't cheap, but at not paying 20 dollars an hour how long before you make up the difference?

Robots are just better.

Fast food places with digital kiosks for ordering are the only ones I'll patronize, on the rare occasions I have fast food. The order taking is always 100% accurate, as is the payment processing. And no attitude.

Replacing the kitchen staff is the next logical step. Ideally, the place should be able to run with one manager and maybe one assistant manager, to deal with opening and closing the store, deliveries, customer service, and the rare mistake.

Of course raising the cost of one type of labor makes a replacement potentially more viable.

Humans are expensive and continue to incur cost on an organization. Robots are an investment which have an ROI calculated and are ultimately paid off, rending cost of labor going forward pennies on the dollar relative to humans.

Raise the cost of humans, both the ROI and ROR are improved for an automated solution. This isn't complicated.

Nope. Want americans to fill those jobs then pay em.
The reason libs need a minimum wage is because there is an oversupply of cheap labor on the market thanks to illegal aliens

Supply and demand cant work when you have open borders that flood the labor pool

What about unionism?
How is collecting labor to achieve a goal anty different than collecting capital?
Thats way off the topic of this thread

I dont believe your claim that capitalism is bad

Instead its been a blessing for the human condition

Maybe if you're a human capitalist
But for everyone else?

1708019102859.png

Not so good.

I am not s strong supporter of mandatory unions

So I dont like closed-shops

In Right to Work states where workers enjoy freedom of choice unions dont do so well

Not off topic.
The question was does a $20/hr wage force capitalist to take action.

Why does unionism make you uncomfortable?
Is it because while the capitalist may control all capital he can't do anything but eat that capital without labor?

I've been in technology for over 40 years and one thing is true.
replacing labor with technology does not reduce labor costs.
It drives the costs to fewer people with higher wages.

Not off topic.
Is it because while the capitalist may control all capital he can't do anything but eat that capital without labor?

See post 59

Last edited:
Increased wages are a contributor as well as: speed, accuracy and consistency which provides a better consumer experience.
Let's see, machines are faster, cheaper, more reliable, represent a fixed cost, can do the jobs of multiple people, and never mouth off at the manager. What's not there for an owner to love? Heck, we used to have teenagers pump our gas, wash our windshields and check the tire pressure, oil and water. When was the last time you had a kid do that when you paid 35 cents a gallon for gas?

I am not s strong supporter of mandatory unions

So I dont like closed-shops

In Right to Work states where workers enjoy freedom of choice unions dont do so well
Right to work for less you mean.

Less health care
Less income
Less PTO

Not off topic.

The overall labor costs go down. When 10 tech workers that make $125K/year each plus two $100K machines replace 100 workers at $80K/year each, the employer comes out ahead. Let's just say it this way, the employer has bean counters whose job it is to run these cost comparisons and advise on which is the cheapest. Why do you think manufacturing went overseas? It was because the cost of workers overseas was cheaper than American workers AND cheaper than the mechanical replacements of the time. Now, machines are becoming even cheaper than foreign labor, so we'll see more manufacturing move back here, but done with fewer workers. Gone forever are the days of 100,000 guys working the assembly lines, cranking out cars. Now there's a relative handful monitoring the machines doing the work.

I saw this fast food place talking about it's robot staff.

He claims it's because of dangerous jobs like using the grill and fryer, but in the video also says he can't find employees.

Personally I'd wager it's due to the minimum wage hike for fast food workers. Anyone that runs a business knows employees are your biggest expense.

Sure those robots aren't cheap, but at not paying 20 dollars an hour how long before you make up the difference?

The forced minimum wage increases will only create a second tier of cost elevations in the consumables and durable products categories locally in CA. The end result will be no real life quality boost for the bottom tier workers coupled with inflation at the cash registers for consumers.

Forum List

Back