Ali's phenomenally weak punch

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
Ali's punches are probably the weakest in the heavyweight division of all time. He did not have the normal punching technique of a real boxer at all. He strikes technically incorrectly and clumsily.

I don't think so. I remember Ali as the special guest referee at the first Wrestlemania. To bring order back to the main event, he threw 3 left hands at Piper, Orndorff and Orton, and all 3 were knocked over the top rope on to the arena floor with a single punch each.

Ali was about 6'3" and 225-235 lbs. He was naturally bigger than many of the heavyweights who were in the division in the early 1960s, including Sonny Liston, who was about 6'0" and maybe 215 pounds soaking wet. That's what a lot of people forget - Ali was a bigger man than Liston and most of the heavyweights of the 1950s and early 60s. Marciano, for reference, was 5'10" and 190 lbs, a cruiserweight by today's standard.

Ali didn't need to be a devastating, clubbing puncher like Foreman or Ken Norton; he had natural athleticism, size, and raw power from his hand speed and quick reflexes - more than enough to take out many of his opponents. He could also, to his ultimate detriment, take a beating. And that, IMO, is why Ali was so successful. He might not have had the best one-punch power, and he probably knew that, so his strategy was to wear fighters out and pick them apart in later rounds.

Unfortunately, they clubbed the shit out of him too, and I am convinced that Ali's brain damage occurred in two or three fights: the last fight with Frazier and the last 1-2 fights with Ken Norton. After those three fights, he was never the same. You can tell in his fight against Shavers and Spinks, somethin' ain't right. And it's beyond obvious in his fight with Holmes.

Ali's punches are probably the weakest in the heavyweight division of all time. He did not have the normal punching technique of a real boxer at all. He strikes technically incorrectly and clumsily.

Have you ever taken a look at his record? He is the king of decisions. Dude barely knocked anyone out. It always annoys me when people say he was the greatest boxer of all time. Tyson would have smacked the shit out of Ali.

• Banned
I don't think so. I remember Ali as the special guest referee at the first Wrestlemania. To bring order back to the main event, he threw 3 left hands at Piper, Orndorff and Orton, and all 3 were knocked over the top rope on to the arena floor with a single punch each.
good show

• Banned
Ali was about 6'3" and 225-235 lbs. He was naturally bigger than many of the heavyweights who were in the division in the early 1960s, including Sonny Liston, who was about 6'0" and maybe 215 pounds soaking wet. That's what a lot of people forget - Ali was a bigger man than Liston and most of the heavyweights of the 1950s and early 60s. Marciano, for reference, was 5'10" and 190 lbs, a cruiserweight by today's standard.
This is one of the reasons why he didn't fall when he used to beaten. But the brain was damaged

• Banned
Unfortunately, they clubbed the shit out of him too, and I am convinced that Ali's brain damage occurred in two or three fights: the last fight with Frazier and the last 1-2 fights with Ken Norton. After those three fights, he was never the same. You can tell in his fight against Shavers and Spinks, somethin' ain't right. And it's beyond obvious in his fight with Holmes.

Most likely his brain was damaged by the blows, but maybe it's because of the drugs. They say he was drugged to keep him conscious, it's possible that there was manganese in it. This parkinsonian effect is generally not typical of boxers. All boxers get hit hard in one way or another. This happens from artisanal drugs, in which there is potassium permanganate.

Have you ever taken a look at his record? He is the king of decisions. Dude barely knocked anyone out. It always annoys me when people say he was the greatest boxer of all time. Tyson would have smacked the shit out of Ali.
Ali beat many fighters of Tysons skills
Liston, Shavers, Foreman

Ali beat many fighters of Tysons skills
Liston, Shavers, Foreman
No, they only shared his punching power. In fact, Shavers and Foreman likely had more power than Tyson, but Tyson had speed and fantastic head movement in his prime. As the smaller fighter in just about every fight he ever had, Tyson became a master of closing distance. He is the perfect architype to beat Ali's style, which was using his jab to keep his opponents out of reach. Tyson didnt dance like Ali, but he had an uncanny ability of getting his feet in the perfect position for power shots.

No, they only shared his punching power. In fact, Shavers and Foreman likely had more power than Tyson, but Tyson had speed and fantastic head movement in his prime. He was also a master of getting on the inside. He is the perfect architype to beat Ali's style, which was using his jab to keep his opponents out of reach. Tyson didnt dance like Ali, but he was a master of getting his feet in the perfect position for power shots.
I saw Tyson's first fights on Top Rank boxing. He was a bulldog with crushing blows and his fights just didn't last long. I don't know if Ali could have withstood the barrage or avoid it, perhaps with a larger ring than they had on Top Rank, he could have. But then again I didn't get to see Ali's early fights like I did Tyson's.

Like hell he would have. Ali was a naturally bigger, rangier fighter than Mike Tyson, and he was a much, much better boxer. And if there's one type of fighter that really gave Tyson problems, it was taller, rangier fighters who could box, especially if they could use a left jab, stick, and move.

Ali would have taken Tyson into the late rounds and clubbed him good. There's no version of Mike Tyson that beats Ali.

I saw Tyson's first fights on Top Rank boxing. He was a bulldog with crushing blows and his fights just didn't last long. I don't know if Ali could have withstood the barrage or avoid it, perhaps with a larger ring than they had on Top Rank, he could have. But then again I didn't get to see Ali's early fights like I did Tyson's.
Ali had a way of surviving
Using the ropes, tying up his opponent, dancing

Tyson looked for early knockouts
I don’t think he would have gotten one with Ali
After 8 rounds, Ali would own him

Forum List

Back