A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.
Of course racial discrimination is still occuring in America in 2020. Affirmative Action.

Exactly....not to mention any citizen has a right to call the police if they think something is suspicious.....most especially someone who works at a bank.

So it turned out the guy was not attempting to pass a bad check ...no harm no foul...yet these hyper-sensitive liberals are so easy to take advantage of and all too willing to pay off some negro who whines o dats racist....ridiculous. You really cant blame a black for taking advantage of these morons to get a pay-off.

He suffered mental anguish and was humiliated...bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa anyone willing to pay off based on that b.s. deserves to be fleeced. Similar stuff has happened many times......in fact Jesse Jackson engaged in similar tactics with corporations whom he fleeced out of millions and millions of dollars...the most successful extortionist in history.

Something else to consider the authorities are always telling folks if you see something suspicious call the police. I guess they need to change that to...unless it is a negro that you are suspicious of.

I would not be surprised if there is a cottage industry based on this tactic of claiming you suffer mental anguish and humiliation because of some incident where one has an opportunity to claim racial discrimination.

Probably set up something like this......a negro conspires with someone who has considerable assets....persuade the rich fellow to write him a big check and go to some bank act in a suspicious manner and try and provoke the bank to call the police...and then scream racism.

Kaching...Kaching.....what a great con. and of course the rich fellow who wrote the check...gets a nice kickback.

I imagine a lot of negroes are learning about this easy road to riches....it would be interesting to know how many incidents like this or incidents similar to this happen every year.

Last edited:
Oh sure.. There's no investigation to be made as to the SOURCE then... But there still could be "suspicious activities between accounts at the same bank... Would take some of the "stupider" money launderers and criminals, but it could happen..
Why are you all so fucking suspicious of everyone?

I TRY not to be actually.. I'd LIKE to keep my car and doors unlocked. And certainly, I'm always opposing the GOVERNMENT being too suspicious...

You've heard me out here. I HATE domestic surveillance and the Patriot Act. The last time we allowed our top spy agencies to spy on "the homeland" it ended in a massive exposure of abuse of civil liberties and was BANNED until 9-11...

There's certainly TOO MUCH suspicion.. And I've worked a bit in Intel related stuff, so I know we must balance our protection against nasty drug cartels, human trafficking and insane terrorists against GOING TOO FAR..

And we have gone too far again AND those powers we've given the govt ARE being abused.. Voters need to make Civil Liberties a higher issue than it has been...
You know if the majority of the "investigating' into suspicious behavior was being done by people actually qualified to conduct a investigation of this nature then things might not be as fucked up as they are, but when you have a bunch of dumbasses, who are given a title, a badge and/or some level of authority but they are not law enforcement officers then all kinds of bullshit starts happening. And I'm speaking from personal, repeated experience with both our government and the "see something become a pain in the ass say something" crowd. Their behavior was so harassing and constant that I had to start recording them practically 24/7 and it only easier up once their photos, and recordings ended up in the public domain.

It also doesn't help that I"m a triple minority with a few added extra attributes that makes them even more crazy but the bottom line is even though their harassment of me is unlawful, the things about me that really bothers them, they can't do anything about because I'm 100% legit, even when I turn things around and they find that they're the ones now under scrutiny.

Are you a member of the ACLU? I've seen you mention being an advocate for civil liberties. I've been a member for many years, and provide them intel reports from time to time on a variety of subjects having to do with the cases they bring against the United States government for constitutional violations against it's citizens.

Well,, perhaps you do not do anything that arouses someone's suspicion. Or if you are an attractive female that might have something to do with it. hehheh

As I mentioned this fellow trying to get a big pay check for being so humiliated....yeh right...could very well have been acting suspicious in some manner to get the banik to call the police setting up his scenario of being a victim of racism and humiliation etc.etec. blah blah.....the case stinks to high heaven.

Did you watch the state of the union speech? Trump paid high honors to a tuskegee airman.

Well then admit you made a claim you can't back up.

No, you're already admitting that I made a claim which you cannot transcend nor override ---because I promise that you are NOT going to provide any proof that a White patron was treated this horridly, at that bank.

Which means, the bank only did this because he's a negro.

Translation: I can't prove they wouldn't have done the exact same thing to a white guy so I'm trying to fill my post full of enough bullshit so I don't have to admit I made a claim I can't back up.
I’m sure the bank manager has a record of the times he had a white customer arrested

Well,, perhaps you do not do anything that arouses someone's suspicion. Or if you are an attractive female that might have something to do with it. hehheh

As I mentioned this fellow trying to get a big pay check for being so humiliated....yeh right...could very well have been acting suspicious in some manner to get the banik to call the police setting up his scenario of being a victim of racism and humiliation etc.etec. blah blah.....the case stinks to high heaven.

Did you watch the state of the union speech? Trump paid high honors to a tuskegee airman.

A year ago, Trump had no idea who the Tuskegee Airmen were. But since it is an election year.....

Exactly....not to mention any citizen has a right to call the police if they think something is suspicious.....most especially someone who works at a bank.
Funny thing. I'm black and I walk into the bank all of the time and nobody calls the police on me, even when I'm openly armed. Why do you think that is?
Because personal anecdotes don't tell us anything.

Funny thing. I'm black and I walk into the bank all of the time and nobody calls the police on me, even when I'm openly armed. Why do you think that is?

I will tell you what does tell something about this black lady......her father was a tuskegee airman and we all watched the other night in the State of The Union address how Trump honored the Tuskegeee airman yet this lady will not thank him or even acknowledge what Trump did. Very pathetic but also very revealing of the character of left-wingers.

The bank employee thought the checks were fraudulent. That has nothing to do with skin color.

But unfounded opinions, as many have expressed in this thread do? At least your opinions seem to be based on actual work & experience in the industry, which mine are based on. But working within the industries also reveals the inherent biases that no set of laws of instructors to the contrary can seem to overcome.

And the bank employees will lie about what they did, what they said and why the behaved as they did. Some of what you refer to as only my personal ancedotes are actual legal complaints and cases.

The bank employee thought the checks were fraudulent.
Which was an error, as, in reality, they just didn't have good proof the check was not fraudulent. What do you suppose caused this error? It may have been racism.

Ridiculous how the left-wingers want to turn a case of a bank employee trying to verify a check was good into a big case of ....oh he must be a racist.

This was a set up deal in order to get a big paycheck.....blacks have been using similar ruses for years to collect big checks ...cant blame them....good work if you can get it.

Jesse Jackson Accused of 'Shaking Down' Toyota

Jesse Jackson's shakedown methods - WND

Jackson's income triggers questions

Last edited:

I will tell you what does tell something about this black lady......her father was a tuskegee airman and we all watched the other night in the State of The Union address how Trump honored the Tuskegeee airman yet this lady will not thank him or even acknowledge what Trump did. Very pathetic but also very revealing of the character of left-wingers.
In my opinion, Trump doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit him. The Tuskegee Airmen don't need anyone, especially not him to validate their accomplishments. And thanks were given when President Bush awarded them the Congressional Gold Medal back in 2007: Bush awards Tuskegee Airmen with Congressional Gold Medal

The only pathetic person in this exchange is the boot-licker who believes that he can direct others to have respect for someone or something who doesn't merit it. It's particularly interesting that one of the most racist members of U.S. Message Board is attempting to use the accomplishment of a group of black men who defied all of the negative stereotypes attributed to African Americans to try to browbeat one of their granddaughters into showing respect to the present occupant of the white house.

I have not fogotten our conversations, in fact I have copies of them that U.S. Message Board lost when their server went down and 3 days of messages disappeared just like you predicted. So go ahead and hold your breath waiting on me to thank Trump for attempting to bask in some of the glory of the famed Tuskegee Airmen. Maybe you can get Trump to hold his as well.

Which was an error, as, in reality, they just didn't have good proof the check was not fraudulent. What do you suppose caused this error? It may have been racism.

Ridiculous how the left-wingers want to turn a case of a bank employee trying to verify a check was good into a big case of ....oh he must be a racist.

This was a set up deal in order to get a big paycheck.....blacks have been using similar ruses for years to collect big checks ...cant blame them....good work if you can get it.

You can attempt to verify a check without accusing your customer of being engaged in criminal behavior involving fraud. You can also attempt to verify a check without calling the police on your customer while not knowing whether the checks were fraudulent or not.

The better safe than sorry route may work when ensuring that your bank doesn't suffer a loss from bad checks, however if you treat your customer like a criminal for simply attempting to deposit checks and/or open an account, then you might have to answer for that behavior.

How many of you have had the police called on you for engaging in behavior that isn't a crime?

You can attempt to verify a check without accusing your customer of being engaged in criminal behavior involving fraud. You can also attempt to verify a check without calling the police on your customer while not knowing whether the checks were fraudulent or not.

The better safe than sorry route may work when ensuring that your bank doesn't suffer a loss from bad checks, however if you treat your customer like a criminal for simply attempting to deposit checks and/or open an account, then you might have to answer for that behavior.

How many of you have had the police called on you for engaging in behavior that isn't a crime?
Still, there was nothing racist about the incident.

More and more blacks are beginning to understand how the democratic party has not only failed America but has failed the black people as well.

Black Women Leaving the Democratic Party, Cracking the Base

Democrats are LEAVING the Party in Droves!!!

More Black Women Are Realizing That the Democratic Party Is Full of Shit, New Poll Finds

Last edited:

In my opinion, Trump doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit him. The Tuskegee Airmen don't need anyone, especially not him to validate their accomplishments. And thanks were given when President Bush awarded them the Congressional Gold Medal back in 2007: Bush awards Tuskegee Airmen with Congressional Gold Medal

The only pathetic person in this exchange is the boot-licker who believes that he can direct others to have respect for someone or something who doesn't merit it. It's particularly interesting that one of the most racist members of U.S. Message Board is attempting to use the accomplishment of a group of black men who defied all of the negative stereotypes attributed to African Americans to try to browbeat one of their granddaughters into showing respect to the present occupant of the white house.

I have not fogotten our conversations, in fact I have copies of them that U.S. Message Board lost when their server went down and 3 days of messages disappeared just like you predicted. So go ahead and hold your breath waiting on me to thank Trump for attempting to bask in some of the glory of the famed Tuskegee Airmen. Maybe you can get Trump to hold his as well.

Trump recognized the Tuskegee airmen and you attack him for it. INcredible.

Trump recognized the Tuskegee airmen and you attack him for it. INcredible.

Quite sad....the hatred of some knows know limits.

It would be interesting to know exactly what the black guy did to provoke the calling of the police. A lot of the details of this case are unknown. It is very possible that the bank told the black guy they would not take the check and then he became threatening...thus they called the police not because of the check but because they felt threatened by a angry black guy.

It makes no sense for them to call the police just because they thought the guy was trying to cash a bad check....all they had to do was to tell him they would not cash it and that should have been the end of it. I am thinking something happend after he was informed they would not take his check. He probably said something of a threatening nature.

Forum List

Back