A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

What's the damage?

Stay tuned. He will be depositing that check soon ---racial discrimination causing mental anguish and public humiliation.

We will know the amt then, when he's depositing it. It'll be more than $99K tho...the bank reeeeally screwed up by filing false charges against him even after the fact/fully knowing he was legit.

What's the damage?

Stay tuned. He will be depositing that check soon ---racial discrimination causing mental anguish and public humiliation.

We will know the amt then, when he's depositing it. It'll be more than $99K tho...the bank reeeeally screwed up by filing false charges against him even after the fact/fully knowing he was legit.

mental anguish and public humiliation.

So no damages.

mental anguish and public humiliation..

Yes, racial discrimination lawsuits get paid out according to the court's judgment of the level of emotional/physical turmoil the victim was subjected to. So yes, he's going to get paid big time, thanks to a racist bank mgr.

Well then admit you made a claim you can't back up.

No, you're already admitting that I made a claim which you cannot transcend nor override ---because I promise that you are NOT going to provide any proof that a White patron was treated this horridly, at that bank.

Which means, the bank only did this because he's a negro.

Well then admit you made a claim you can't back up.

No, you're already admitting that I made a claim which you cannot transcend nor override ---because I promise that you are NOT going to provide any proof that a White patron was treated this horridly, at that bank.

Which means, the bank only did this because he's a negro.

Translation: I can't prove they wouldn't have done the exact same thing to a white guy so I'm trying to fill my post full of enough bullshit so I don't have to admit I made a claim I can't back up.

Translation: I can't prove they wouldn't have done the exact same thing to a white guy so I'm trying to fill my post full of enough bullshit so I don't have to admit I made a claim I can't back up.

Translation: I am pretending that humans can prove a negative.

lol

anyway... I don't need to prove that the bank did this same thing to Whites because it is not possible to prove something that does not exist. If the bank does this to White customers too, then those cases can be cited. If no case has been cited then...guess what ;)

mental anguish and public humiliation..

Yes, racial discrimination lawsuits get paid out according to the court's judgment of the level of emotional/physical turmoil the victim was subjected to. So yes, he's going to get paid big time, thanks to a racist bank mgr.

I agree, no damages.

I agree, the bank is about to ante-up thanks to a dumb racist mgr. trying to play monetary-vigilante for the company which had to fork over $99K to a negro for being darkskinned.

If he's not providing information to help them CLEAR the checks, why should they even STATE a date for them to clear.
Because the date they state will be more than enough time. Believe it or not, they understand how and when checks clear... at banks. And you can't verify checks with the payee, are you out of your mind?
Philips Electronics for example, doesn't even clear international payments internally...
Those are different, because they are international checks. Obviously.

You have "no right" to immediate cash with a check..
As I have said repeatedly. You must have learned that from my posts and forgot where you learned it.

Oh sure.. There's no investigation to be made as to the SOURCE then... But there still could be "suspicious activities between accounts at the same bank... Would take some of the "stupider" money launderers and criminals, but it could happen..
Why are you all so fucking suspicious of everyone?

I TRY not to be actually.. I'd LIKE to keep my car and doors unlocked. And certainly, I'm always opposing the GOVERNMENT being too suspicious...

You've heard me out here. I HATE domestic surveillance and the Patriot Act. The last time we allowed our top spy agencies to spy on "the homeland" it ended in a massive exposure of abuse of civil liberties and was BANNED until 9-11...

There's certainly TOO MUCH suspicion.. And I've worked a bit in Intel related stuff, so I know we must balance our protection against nasty drug cartels, human trafficking and insane terrorists against GOING TOO FAR..

And we have gone too far again AND those powers we've given the govt ARE being abused.. Voters need to make Civil Liberties a higher issue than it has been...

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Just another black who has learned how to take advantage of all the hyper racism accusations in order to get a pay-off.

One can hardly blame the bank official for being suspicious.....it is not like blacks are not known to have a proclivity for crime and violence out of all proportion to their percentage of the population....even Obama admitted that.

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

Of course racial discrimination is still occuring in America in 2020. Affirmative Action.

Forum List

Back