63% say guns make their homes safer...

Zebra_zps4c3a201f.png

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

As it turns out, a strong majority of Americans agree with this statement -- at least when it comes to their own homes. And while most social movements are slow-changing, Americans have moved toward embracing guns in the home rather rapidly.

Gallup has long asked Americans whether they thought having a gun in their home would make their home "safer" or "more dangerous." In 2000, 35 percent of Americans thought it would make them safer. Today, that number is at 63 percent.

Why the NRA is so powerful in 1 chart - The Washington Post

Join the NRA, protect your rights...NRA.ORG

Being a good neighbor makes you safer than being a dick with a gun. :)

The last 4 words of your post are very revealing..in a couple of ways.

When I was on the job in Texas I was armed on-duty and at home. Didn't make me think I was safer though. Just made me think of the weapon every time something went bump in the night instead of "just a bump in the night." When you have a weapon handy it occupies every hypothetical that arrises instead of simply shrugging it off. That's no way to live.

You make a lot of generalizations about how people ought to live, and what their mindsets should be regarding potential for violence in their own personal situations.

You should stick to your humorous perv posts.

People who spend a great amount of time imagining the worst will very likely find it someday. But statiscally it's unlikely. But when you're armed you tend to look for occasions to use it, or all that preparation isn't justified.

You have to make them look like accidents; old boards with nails, trip wires that just trip people, not mines, etc.

I find what helps a lot, in regard to people fucking with my stuff, is to be seen on the porch with my AR or M1-A, four, five times a week,
and let off a "mad minute" every four to six weeks.
hahaha-024.gif

Come retirement If I end up in a rural area as planned...
First thing I'm doing is getting a locksmith to secure the place.
Second I'm getting some kind of firearm.
Third,probably getting a dog...Nice early warning system..

Just in case some wacko stops by..
Locks lock doors.

Die hard home invaders crash through windows.

If you are not familiar with firearms, get a shotgun, low brass shotshells, practice, and work up to high brass buckshot.

When you are proficient with that, move on to a good assault weapon and handguns.

Looking forward to owning some guns.
Going out to a firing range.Doing the whole thing,safety course whatever it takes....

Liberals view on home safety is saying to intruder..
"Please don't hurt me or my family too bad"....

That's not for me.

Zebra_zps4c3a201f.png

As it turns out, a strong majority of Americans agree with this statement -- at least when it comes to their own homes. And while most social movements are slow-changing, Americans have moved toward embracing guns in the home rather rapidly.

Gallup has long asked Americans whether they thought having a gun in their home would make their home "safer" or "more dangerous." In 2000, 35 percent of Americans thought it would make them safer. Today, that number is at 63 percent.

When I was on the job in Texas I was armed on-duty and at home. Didn't make me think I was safer though. Just made me think of the weapon every time something went bump in the night instead of "just a bump in the night." When you have a weapon handy it occupies every hypothetical that arrises instead of simply shrugging it off. That's no way to live.

So, you don't own a gun now?

Nope, not for some time now.

For some reason I thought you were a gun owner, or a hunter.

So does booby trapping, but for some reason is illegal...
You have to make them look like accidents; old boards with nails, trip wires that just trip people, not mines, etc.

I find what helps a lot, in regard to people fucking with my stuff, is to be seen on the porch with my AR or M1-A, four, five times a week,
and let off a "mad minute" every four to six weeks.
10802014_10203205336715026_7907275106633128147_n.jpg

So, you don't own a gun now?

Nope, not for some time now.

For some reason I thought you were a gun owner, or a hunter.

Am pro-gun rights, just don't want one for myself. But I like the option. Options are good. :)

Zebra_zps4c3a201f.png

You make a lot of generalizations about how people ought to live, and what their mindsets should be regarding potential for violence in their own personal situations.

People who spend a great amount of time imagining the worst will very likely find it someday. But statiscally it's unlikely. But when you're armed you tend to look for occasions to use it, or all that preparation isn't justified.

You do not know a fuckin' thing about living in the Dirty South, do you?

Would take a drastic shift in my perception of personal security to make e want another firearm. Zombie apocalypse, some kind of paradigm shift or the like. Am ready to defend myself quite well as-is, a ranged weapon would simply be for certain situations I don't have in this tiny apartment. Here's it's all CQB. :) Only two ways in/out and neither's possible without me knowing it. Wouldn't be responding to a threat unarmed, just not with a firearm. ;)

Delta4Embassy said:

(purposely) faulty logic.

I've never used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire. I still own two of them.

I'm "prepared" but I'm not going to start a fire in my living room so I can use my fire extinguisher..

Would take a drastic shift in my perception of personal security to make e want another firearm. Zombie apocalypse, some kind of paradigm shift or the like. Am ready to defend myself quite well as-is, a ranged weapon would simply be for certain situations I don't have in this tiny apartment. Here's it's all CQB. :) Only two ways in/out and neither's possible without me knowing it. Wouldn't be responding to a threat unarmed, just not with a firearm. ;)

So you admit you would bring a knife to a gunfight.

Locks lock doors.

If you are not familiar with firearms, get a shotgun, low brass shotshells, practice, and work up to high brass buckshot.

When you are proficient with that, move on to a good assault weapon and handguns.

Going out to a firing range.Doing the whole thing,safety course whatever it takes....

That's not for me.

In your case, work your way up.

The LAST thing you need is a handgun, or even a home defence shotgun with full powered loads.

A low brass load of #6 quail shot will blow a hole the size of a grapefruit at the ranges you will most like need to defend yourself.

And it will not knock you over, so you can keep firing if you need too.

Oh, and on shotguns, I favour a semi-auto.

Don't buy that "shuck one in and scare them off bullshit".

You want a semi-auto, loaded, ready to silent slip the safety off, if you get a heads up on the intruder, and fast as you can pull the trigger firepower if you need it.

South African police used the Browning A-5 with extended mag.

Can't fault that choice.

hope they don't have internetz where you're going :thup:

as to the OP- yeah, keep the guns where the suiciders can get to them :rolleyes-41:

Suicide Is Leading Cause Of Gun Deaths But Largely Absent In Debate On Gun Violence
There should be plenty of personal stories to go around. More than 19,000 of the 31,000 deaths from guns in the United States in 2010 were suicides, far more than the number of homicides or unintended shooting deaths. The overall suicide rate is rising so rapidly that it now outnumbers deaths from car crashes. Most recently, health officials noted a startling spike in suicides among middle-aged Americans: they have jumped by 28 percent from 1999 to 2010.

68% of people think they look better in hats.

There it is proven - people look better in hats.

Except that it isn't, of course.

It's like asking people who just bought a new car if they think their new car was a good purchase. Of course they do. It does nor mean that they are right. It's a perception.

So you admit you would bring a knife to a gunfight.

In this apartment or an elevator darn tootin :)

Zebra_zps4c3a201f.png

Bad things happen to good people.

Statisically, odds are my house won't burn down, but I still have homeowners insurance.

Statistically, it's unlikely I'll die this year, but I'll pay my life insurance premium just the same.

And, statistically speaking, the chances I'll get a flat today are extremely low, but I won't be removing my spare tire from the back of the pickup.

Like insurance and spare tires...I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Bad things happen to good people.

Statisically, odds are my house won't burn down, but I still have homeowners insurance.

Statistically, it's unlikely I'll die this year, but I'll pay my life insurance premium just the same.

And, statistically speaking, the chances I'll get a flat today are extremely low, but I won't be removing my spare tire from the back of the pickup.

Like insurance and spare tires...I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it.

That's valid. Have had them myself, but am happier without.

Locks lock doors.

That's not for me.

In your case, work your way up.

The LAST thing you need is a handgun, or even a home defence shotgun with full powered loads.

A low brass load of #6 quail shot will blow a hole the size of a grapefruit at the ranges you will most like need to defend yourself.

And it will not knock you over, so you can keep firing if you need too.

Oh, and on shotguns, I favour a semi-auto.

Don't buy that "shuck one in and scare them off bullshit".

You want a semi-auto, loaded, ready to silent slip the safety off, if you get a heads up on the intruder, and fast as you can pull the trigger firepower if you need it.

South African police used the Browning A-5 with extended mag.

Can't fault that choice.

I want the type shotgun Charles Bronson used in Mr Majestyk movie.
One of those pump action deals....

When I fill out the form I will say I need it for rodent protection.Home use...

Zebra_zps4c3a201f.png

LOL no it doesn't. That's part of the tragedy of life. Being good doesn't equate to bad things not happening to you

68% of people think they look better in hats.

There it is proven - people look better in hats.

Except that it isn't, of course.

It's like asking people who just bought a new car if they think their new car was a good purchase. Of course they do. It does nor mean that they are right. It's a perception.

It's not about proving.

It's about the defeat of the Anti-Hat Leagues demonization of hats, hat owners, hat supporters and the hat industry.

Forum List

Back