Zeppelin versus Sabbath?

I love Zep, they rock or can be melodic on their acoustic songs like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5vciT-0Jw]YouTube - Led Zeppelin - "Going To California" live @ Earl's Court '75[/ame]

Check out their stuff from "Earl's Court"

Led Zep 300 million albums

Black Sabbath 100 million.

Also, a tonne of BS stuff is just utter crap. Hardly any skill in it at all.

I think we're talking about who is more influential for current metal bands, not who sold the most. Clearly it's Sabbath.

From Wikipedia FWIW (contains a cite to Rolling Stone):

"With more than 100 million albums sold worldwide,[2] Black Sabbath is arguably the most influential heavy metal band of all time. The band helped to create the genre with ground breaking releases such as Paranoid, an album that Rolling Stone magazine said "changed music forever", [95] and called the band "the Beatles of heavy metal".[96]"

I'd say Deep Purple were more influential as far as the metal genre goes. Led Zep were more blues influenced...

I disagree. Deep Purple had a bigger influence on late 70s and 80s metal most likely, although I'm not even certain that's the case. But on the genre overall Black Sabbath has had more influence. I can't think of another band that actually spawned an entire sub-genre of metal. And from the early 1990s through now you'll find a lot more influence of Black Sabbath in the metal acts around that you will with Deep Purple, though Ritchie Blackmore, as a guitarist, has had wide influence.

Hey Matty. Nice to see you.

I'm still waiting for someone to take me up on a list of the newer metal bands with a clear Zeppelin influence :D

They're typically included if you look at the history of metal, etc., though I don't think they have many songs that would qualify.

I concur about the qualification aspect....

Immigrant song? Nah, Whole Lotta Love? Nah, Going to California? Nah, Kashmir? Nah, Ramble On? Nah...

Black Dog? Maybe...

What is and What Should Never Be? Maybe? Not really metal. Was a great band though. Parts of No Quarter may qualify...

I concur about the qualification aspect....

Immigrant song? Nah, Whole Lotta Love? Nah, Going to California? Nah, Kashmir? Nah, Ramble On? Nah...

Black Dog? Maybe...

I think most Zeppelin fans see them as rock, not metal. (I do at least)

When I think of metal, I think of Spinal Tap.

Why is it that hard rock & heavy metal acts get criticized for simple song composition far more than acts from other genres? I've never heard anyone say, "That Bob Dylan stuff is simplistic crap. Hardly any skill in those two chords at all!"

Forum List

Back