Zeppelin versus Sabbath?

I own every Sabbath CD from Black Sabbath to Dehumanizer (except for Technical Ecstacy, hmm...I have to get to FYE).

Sorry for bothering to post since you are so much better than I when it comes to music trivia :eusa_whistle:

Settle down beavis, I'm just trying to have a little fun here.

Geesh you guys can be touchy!

Settle down beavis, I'm just trying to have a little fun here.

Geesh you guys can be touchy!

Actually, the downfall of posting to message boards (and emails & IMs) is that you lose alot of inflection when it is written.

I was being sarcastic and was not upset at all. I was poking fun.

So, no worries.

Ditto! No worries at all.

I like both bands a lot anyway, but it's still fun to debate pointless stuff like this sometimes.

And of course neither of them can hold a candle to Jethro Tull and Rush anyway. :D

Ditto! No worries at all.

I like both bands a lot anyway, but it's still fun to debate pointless stuff like this sometimes.

And of course neither of them can hold a candle to Jethro Tull and Rush anyway. :D

Rush rules. Rolling Stone did a great piece on them this month.

Rush rules. Rolling Stone did a great piece on them this month.

Maybe I'll check it out. But I haven't purchased a copy of Rolling Stone since I wrote it off as totally worthless back in 1990 when they named The Clash's "London Calling" as the best album of the eighties. And if that wasn't bad enough, they didn't even include "Moving Pictures" in the top 100.

Maybe I'll check it out. But I haven't purchased a copy of Rolling Stone since I wrote it off as totally worthless back in 1990 when they named The Clash's "London Calling" as the best album of the eighties. And if that wasn't bad enough, they didn't even include "Moving Pictures" in the top 100.

My daughter has a subscription. At my work we have aplause awards which is a few hundred bucks that you can put on a variety of vendor gift cards. I usually do a hundred at FYE. The problem with FYE is that everytime you buy something they try and stick you with a free year of magazine subscriptions (usually it is RS, Maxime, Time or Vibe magazines). My daughter was with me and asked for RS so I obliged. I'm not big on it either, but they did a couple of stories on Barrack Obama and I opened the cover and found Rush as well.

We're talking Zepplin vs Sabbath here. Jones and Bonham kill Ward and Butler (easily) on the skill level. Ozzie was and still is an average singer (Plant kills him)..and you don't even want to get into an Iommi vs Page debate. When people talk of guitar Gods they talk Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Van Halen, even Blackmore on occasion. Never Iommi. There's a reason for that..:eusa_whistle:

More specifically, we're talking about which band has a greater influence on the current music scene. That's clearly Sabbath, even though I agree regarding Page and Bonham both.

As for the list posted above, many of them have a much clearer Sabbath influence in their sound. I'm not talking about who they say has influenced them, that could be anyone who inspired them to get into music in the first place, and for people who were coming on the scene in the 1970s and since then, I suspect many would list Zeppelin.

I'm talking about influence in terms of the sound being reflected in the current music. Sabbath spawned an entire sub-genre of metal, and if I wanted to cut and paste as done above, I could paste a hundred or more bands that have this sound. Even bands that aren't in the subgenre reflect far more the sound of Sabbath than Zeppelin.

Many of the bands cut and pasted above are also older bands, and we were talking about the current crop of music - early 1990s and forward I believe. At least that was mentioned a few times back.

Many of the rest of those mentioned have no Zeppeling influence in terms of sound, even if they state Zeppelin was a personal influence.

As I said, I'm talking about how the sound influenced the current sound. You'll find a lot more influence of Sabbath SOUND than you will of Zeppelin, at least in the last 10-15 years worth of rock/hard rock/metal.

London Calling isn't the best album of the 1980s, but it has to end up pretty high on the list. Of course, Rush is excellent.

Was is SPIN who named Radiohead's OK COMPUTER as the best of the 1990s? Well, again I don't think it's the best but it has to go up pretty high on the list.

i dunno.. i was always a bigger fan of The Bends, myself.

[youtube]NtpE27JaRPw[/youtube]

I like The Bends as well, but I think I prefer OK Computer. The new one is good too, though.

(that's a cool song, though!)

If London Calling isn't the greatest record of the 1980s, I'd love to know what is (the only one that comes close IMO is Nebraska).

Rush are way over rated. In fact, hardly anybody has heard of them outside the US and Canada. Not that influential at all.

Interesting re influences. Dunno even how you can qualify it to be honest.

I prefer The Bends too! :D

I remember The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars made the Rolling Stone list as well. That's a great album.

Rush are way over rated. In fact, hardly anybody has heard of them outside the US and Canada. Not that influential at all.

I never said they were influential. I said they kick ass. As for not known outside North America, perhaps you should check out the Rush in Rio dvd. The stadium was packed some 6+ hours before the show. If you're going to make bogus statements, completely ignorant of the facts, I might have to start calling you the Kiwi Yurt! :D

True, but it's chart run was in 1980 (it was released in Dec 1979). In rolling Stones' Top 500 albums it comes in at number 8...so I think there is a case for it being up there

The Clash are only eclipsed in musical suckdom by the Sex Pistols, with honorable mention going to the Violent Femmes.

And if that's an eighties album, so too is Pink Floyd's "The Wall," which also didn't make the lame RS top 100.

You should also check out the Iron Maiden ROCK IN RIO DVD. Very cool. The crowd was massive.

As for the Clash, London Calling is still a great album. Sex Pistols I'm not a huge fan of.

Call me crazy but the only vocalist I've ever liked that sounds like Ray Davies is Ray Davies.

Forum List

Back