Zeppelin versus Sabbath?

The Clash are only eclipsed in musical suckdom by the Sex Pistols, with honorable mention going to the Violent Femmes.

And if that's an eighties album, so too is Pink Floyd's "The Wall," which also didn't make the lame RS top 100.

i have to agree. I never was a Clash fan.

the ramones, the misfits and black flag. were all much better.

Last edited:
Ok, so Rush are known inside the Americas...wow, they must be great...

Sex Pistols and Clash were the godfathers of punk (although some would argue the Ramones were there first). However, the Clash have a huge legacy - Black Flag and the Misfits barely rate a mention other than by hardcore aficionados. Sex Pistols only had one album of note, but what an album... , the Clash had several..

i dunno man.. the misfits? only hardcore aficionados? Skulls and Last Caress? I mean, i'll sorta agree with black flag but the Misfits is killer.

[youtube]wuDtVYX2KVs[/youtube]

But wouldn't they have to be GOOD bands to count?

IMHO... nothing but nothing touches Sabbath in that timeframe... what the Beatles did to change music in the 60's, Sabbath did for music in the 70's

There has been other blues influences in rock before Zep... there was nothing quite like that before Sabbath

Personally... I could go the rest of my life without hearing another Zep song, and I would be happy.... I can't go very long without wanting a Sabbath fix...

Im feeling you on the originality factor of sabbath. Thank god that guy lost his finger tips huh. They definitely had an original sound for that time and were heavy for the time as well. Think about how heavy Skynyrd sounded then too though. Workin for MCA and Needle and a Spoon are pretty hard drivin for 1975 agree? I think a lot of metal bands today are just as influenced by them.....Pantera for example

Come on! This has to be Led Zepp. Ozzy and the boys were ok, but they never made a good album.

I like their albums, but the question wasn't who you like better or who put out better albums, it was who is a greater influence on the new music coming out today. At least in the hard rock/metal arena, Sabbath has a much, much greater influence on what is coming out now that Zepp ever did.

Come on! This has to be Led Zepp. Ozzy and the boys were ok, but they never made a good album.

ooooooo I dunno about that
the first Sabbath Album is eriely intense
"Paranoid" is a classic from front to back (as well as one of the best selling records/cd's of all time)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is total progressive metal(and even includes Rick Wakeman to make it official)
and "Master Of Reality" is one of the best Heavy Albums of all Time
nothing against Zeppelin, like I said, since Zeppelin only put out one (well 2 if you include "Coda") Bad Album (that would be "Presence")
Ozzy's first 2 albums are darn good too Especially Diary of a madman
that said Robert Plant's solo stuff is darn good too!
neither one of these bands(or their influence) is going away anytime soon
I dont know anyone that listens to the Stones much anymore
lots of Beatle Fans still going though
undenyable that the beatles Did a little of everything
Sabbath and Zeppelin were a whole different animal
all of them kick ass

I like their albums, but the question wasn't who you like better or who put out better albums, it was who is a greater influence on the new music coming out today. At least in the hard rock/metal arena, Sabbath has a much, much greater influence on what is coming out now that Zepp ever did.

I'd agree with that mostly because Zepplin was a crossover from the druggie/psychodelic music to metal while Sabbath was heavy metal from the start.

Unless I just missed it, VH1's History of Metal didn't even feature Led Zepplin.

New Topics

Forum List

Back