Zeppelin versus Sabbath?

I think we're talking about who is more influential for current metal bands, not who sold the most. Clearly it's Sabbath.

Actually, it was more influential to current bands. I'm not sure where the "metal" qualifier got added to the conversation.

Never have I thought blues when listenin' to Led...:doubt:

I love Led.

You must not be much into the blues then.

And are you not familiar with the famous Pete Townsend quote when he heard they were going to form a BLUES based rock band? "That'll go over like a Led Balloon!"

he he he!

Talk about mud flaps, my gal's gottem!

Put it up to eleven

Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

These go to eleven.

:cool:

:eusa_whistle:

btw: Geezer Butler's bass lines (And Ward's percussion) are considerably more involved than anything from whoever those two assclowns are that keep time for Bono.

We're talking Zepplin vs Sabbath here. Jones and Bonham kill Ward and Butler (easily) on the skill level. Ozzie was and still is an average singer (Plant kills him)..and you don't even want to get into an Iommi vs Page debate. When people talk of guitar Gods they talk Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Van Halen, even Blackmore on occasion. Never Iommi. There's a reason for that..:eusa_whistle:

As for Mullen jnr and Clayton - different type of music...:D

Hey Matty. Nice to see you.

I'm still waiting for someone to take me up on a list of the newer metal bands with a clear Zeppelin influence :D

I woulda Never posted just now, I was just checking th' place out for a minute, but this was too fun because I was wondering that Exact same thing...

A 21-gun-:salute: to the man with the list. :clap2:

I'm on the edga my seat...:disbelief:

We're talking Zepplin vs Sabbath here. Jones and Bonham kill Ward and Butler (easily) on the skill level. Ozzie was and still is an average singer (Plant kills him)..and you don't even want to get into an Iommi vs Page debate. When people talk of guitar Gods they talk Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Van Halen, even Blackmore on occasion. Never Iommi. There's a reason for that..:eusa_whistle:

As for Mullen jnr and Clayton - different type of music...:D

I give the nod to Ward and Butler. Bonham was good, but not great. Easily the most overrated drummer I've ever heard. Jones on the other hand is actually a little underrated IMO, but still not as good as Butler. But skill on the instrument isn't everything. Ever hear Jaco Pastorius? That guy plays bass with more skill than anyone and does some spectacularly amazing stuff. Yet I can't listen to any of his shit for more than two minutes. It's completely devoid of anything that makes music worth listening to.

I'll give you Page over Iommi any day of the week...and then some.

As for Plant vs Ozzy, I call it a draw even though I like Ozzy much more.

If you value originality at all, Sabbath blows the doors off Zeppelin. Tis laughable to even suggest otherwise. But regardless, the debate isn't about skill or even originality, it's about influence on the music of today. And as far as I can tell, Sabbath wins that one in a landslide.

A show of hands

How many people that have offered an opinion in this thread actually own everything ever recorded by both bands? <*raising hand>

They mean the same thing to me.

But fine, name a few more influenced by Zeppelin than Sabbath.
No it doesn't mean the same thing. But a few bands that have members who openly state that they are influenced by Led Zeppelin:

• Guns -n- Roses
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Maroon Five
  • Green Day
  • Aerosmith
  • Metallica
  • Van Halen
  • Kiss
  • Boston
  • Creed
  • Pearl Jam
  • Soundgarden
  • K.T. Tunstall
  • Prince
  • Nirvana
  • ColdPlay
  • Melissa Ethridge
  • The Black Crowes
  • Incubus
  • Allanah Myles
  • Tori Amos
  • Living Colour
  • Edie Brickel
  • Poisen
  • Motley Crue
  • Velvet Revolver
  • The White Stripes
  • John Mayer
  • Dave Matthews
  • The Scorpions
  • Yes
  • Rush
  • Bryan Adams
  • Bon Jovi
  • Cheap Trick
  • Neil Young
  • Deep Purple
  • Dave Matthews
  • Blue Oyster Cult
  • Blues Traveler
  • Lynard Skynard
  • Foo Fighters
  • ELO
  • Great White
  • The Counting Crows
  • Ben Harper
  • Kid Rock
  • Judas Priest
  • Journey
  • Kansas
  • Collective Soul
  • Uncle Kracker
  • Matchbox Twenty
  • Megadeath
  • Kenny Wayne Shepherd
  • Supertramp
  • ZZ Top

Nice c&p job. :rofl:

I'd give the nod to Sabbath for at least half of those (not the one's from the seventies and eighties of course...but we did say TODAY).

I'll let Soggy post the Sabbath list that's easily four times as long.

My one question for you is do you even own any Sabbath?

btw: Suggesting that Metallica and Megadeth are more influenced by Zeppelin than Sabbath pretty much disqualifies you from having anything of value to offer on the subject.

just sayin...:eusa_whistle:

Nice c&p job. :rofl:

I'd give the nod to Sabbath for at least half of those (not the one's from the seventies and eighties of course...but we did say TODAY).

I'll let Soggy post the Sabbath list that's easily four times as long.

My one question for you is do you even own any Sabbath?

I own every Sabbath CD from Black Sabbath to Dehumanizer (except for Technical Ecstacy, hmm...I have to get to FYE).

Sorry for bothering to post since you are so much better than I when it comes to music trivia :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back